By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1131 Greatest Games, as of 2021

mZuzek said:
Jaicee said:

Thanks for hosting, space raccoon. Another job well done! *pets the top of your head*

Commentary: There are too many Nintendo games!

I think my job here is done.

EDIT: Well okay, maybe not quite. I note that two, count 'em TWO, original IPs made the top 20 once again, and just wanted to take credit for that because The Last of Us (ranking in 20th place) actually lost five votes this year compared to last year (when it also placed 20th), so the fact that it's still in the top 20 is very likely owed to my moving it up to second place on my list. Otherwise, it would've been overtaken by Majora's Mask, making 15 out of the top 20 titles Nintendo games and 19 sequels. Same principle with The Last of Us Part II: it moved up ten ranks this year despite getting the same number of votes probably because I moved it up to #1 on my list. So YaY me! My impact on this site is actually visible this year!

I think you should consider that this year had fewer overall lists to account for, so a game having the same amount of votes means it already did better than last year. You're right about The Last of Us though, had it been your #18 like last year, it'd have fallen behind Majora's Mask by just a couple points. Part II would have gotten the same position if you had it at #2.

And speaking on some of this stuff, I think the gap between Super Mario Galaxy and the games next to it is interesting. In sheer amount of votes (34), it's closer to Breath of the Wild (40) than it is to Ocarina of Time (27). However in the actual points tally, while it has a big lead on Ocarina of Time, Breath of the Wild's lead on it is almost three times bigger. In fact, Galaxy's lead on Ocarina is about the same as Ocarina's lead on Wind Waker, despite the difference in votes between those being only 1. Everything after Wind Waker gets really close.

I checked the rankings a few times while I was compiling lists and the only game that never budged was Breath of the Wild, whereas Mario Galaxy moved around a lot before getting that big lead.

As for the games that missed out on the top 100, FFVIIR and StarCraft were within any one vote of making it in - as in, even a vote at #50 would have been enough - and all games down to Xenoblade X at #131 were within one vote of making it in, though that'd require an increasingly high vote the lower the ranked game is.

So Galaxy was generally ranked lower than BotW. That means BotW's supremacy is still undisputed.

Around the Network

Now to look at where my list and the overall match up.

8 of the top 10 were in my list. Galaxy and Ocarina of Time are almost in the exact right spot. I just have them flipped.
11 of the top 20 were in my list.
20 of the top 100 were in my list

I have a pretty big backlog, so let's take a look at that. I currently own, and have not played, another 10 1/2 games in the top 100. I have played Okami, but never finished it. Another 15 or so games are sitting in my wish list of games I want to buy.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Awesome list. Upset that Portal 2 is ONE spot below Skyrim tho. Imo it rly deserves that 2011 spot

Some of my thoughts on some of the entries:

#1 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I am fine with that, it is a brilliant game, despite its flaws, and it easily made my top 50 as well. I don't think it will remain at the top of these lists in the future though. If the sequel manages to address some of BotW's mistakes, I think it can become an even better game, then the votes between BotW and BotW2 will be split.

#2 Super Mario Galaxy - Also a great choice, it didn't quite make my list, but it easily could have. I think the sequel might be slightly better, and I am surprised how much lower that is on the list.

#4 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - This game really belongs in the academy of overratedness. It was mocked upon release because of the presentation. Years later this has been severely reevaluated by the mainstream, and rightfully so, the presentation of the game is fantastic, unfortunately everything else is aggressively average. The dungeon design is weak, the exploration is not particular rewarding, the game is surprisingly linear, and the pacing is dragged down by repetetive sailing and boring fetch quests. It is a solid game, but not much more.

#6 Super Mario Bros. 3 - Great to see this so high! And rightfully above Super Mario World!

#9 - Super Metroid - Still embarrassed I haven't played this.

#24 Hollow Knight - Great to see so much love for this!

#25 The Witcher 3 - Had it not been for the strong Nintendo bias here, I think this would have easily cracked the top 10, but #25 is certainly respectable and well earned!

#29 Resident Evil 4 - This should probably be even higher.

#34 Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal - Just played this again for the first time in many years. While the franchise is really overrepresented considering how little it has evolved, I think Gold/Silver/Crystal are truly masterful games. It really perfected the formula and kept the simplistic 8-bit charm that is very important to the experience I think. The remakes are kind of pointless in my opinion, and don't deserve to share the spot.

#50 Minecraft - I will never understand people's fascination with this game, but well, I can't deny the impact and influence.

#80 Mega Man 2 - So happy to see this classic make the top 100!

#82 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Same as Mega Man 2, so happy to have it in the top 100. Then Sega and the Genesis also got some representation.

#85 DOOM (2016) - Disappointing that this is above the much more polished and perfect DOOM (1993), but it is a solid game in its own right, even with its obvious modern game design flaws. It has already aged more than the original I feel. But at least it is this game that made the top 100 and not the god-awful DOOM Eternal.

#102 Starcraft - Kind of happy to see this NOT make the top 100, I never understood the hype.

#106 The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Unfortunate it didn't make top 100. I replayed it after I submitted my list. It would have made the cut, had I made my list afterwards. I think it is a stronger game than A Link to the Past.

#110 Half-Life 2 - Sucks to see this fall off top 100. It is fantastic and important.

#115 Resident Evil 7 - I put it high on my list, hoping it would make it into top 100, it came so close. I really admire this game!

#133 Civilization IV - Would have loved to have this in the top 100 as last year, hope it will be back next year.

#201 Tetris - This needs to be much higher one the list. The genre is kind of underappreciated.

#247 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - I think this deserves more love.

#310 Alien: Isolation - What the heck, only one person besides me voted for this? Have people not played this masterpiece?

Vinther1991 said:

Some of my thoughts on some of the entries:

#1 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I am fine with that, it is a brilliant game, despite its flaws, and it easily made my top 50 as well. I don't think it will remain at the top of these lists in the future though. If the sequel manages to address some of BotW's mistakes, I think it can become an even better game, then the votes between BotW and BotW2 will be split.

People will have both in their lists. They'll probably be my top 2 spots if BotW2 is as good as I'm expecting it to be.

Around the Network

Really great list and I love the dedication! BOTW is pretty close to my favorite game of all time, but at the very least it is my favorite Nintendo game.

Alrighty, I'll play that game we're all playing now. Out of my top 50 picks...

...1 made the top 10.
...3 made the top 20.
...11 made the top 100.

The 11 games I picked that also made the top 100 were: Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI, The Last of Us, The Last of Us Part II, NieR: Automata, Portal, Portal 2, Okami, Ori and the Blind Forest, Hades, and Undertale. Last year, Celeste (another fave of mine) also made the top 100, but it was bumped out this year, apparently in favor of some more Nintendo games.

I was the sole contributor of 25 games to this year's list...so half my list consisted of unique selections, in other words. Looks like I'm tied with Mnementh in this regard. My unique selections included:

1) Butterfly Soup
2) Gone Home
3) Knights and Bikes
4) Chop Suey
5) Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
6) Crypt of the NecroDancer
7) Cadence of Hyrule
8) Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor
9) Papo & Yo
10) Kentucky Route Zero
11) ScourgeBringer
12) Death Stranding
13) It Takes Two <-- Seriously!! You know, the GOTY winner at The Game Awards?!
14) Gato Roboto
15) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
16) Pony Island
17) Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
18) This War of Mine
19) Streets of Rage 4
20) The Artful Escape
21) The Shrouded Isle
22) That Dragon, Cancer
23) Deathloop <-- Yup, just me!
24) Mission: It's Complicated
25) There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

I mean, I always kind of expect my lesbian romances and feminist type games to be more or less unique to my list, along with some quirkier, super-obscure faves of mine like ScourgeBringer, Pony Island, There Is No Game, that sorta thing...but come on now, I didn't expect to the be the only person who included Kentucky Route Zero, Hellblade, Sakuna, It Takes Two, Deathloop, This War of Mine, and Streets of Rage 4. Those are a little less obscure and have real fan bases.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 22 January 2022

I had 25 of the top 100 on my list.
8 of the top 10, just missing LTTP and Super Metroid.
11 of the top 20
So, somewhere between basic and peculiar. Really surprised at Wind Waker over Ocarina, Super Mario Galaxy 1 over 2, Brawl over Melee, Astral Chain over Bayonetta, Goldeneye on the list (great for its time, has not aged well), and that people liked Final Fantasy 8 or 12.

JWeinCom said:

I had 25 of the top 100 on my list.
8 of the top 10, just missing LTTP and Super Metroid.
11 of the top 20
So, somewhere between basic and peculiar. Really surprised at Wind Waker over Ocarina, Super Mario Galaxy 1 over 2, Brawl over Melee, Astral Chain over Bayonetta, Goldeneye on the list (great for its time, has not aged well), and that people liked Final Fantasy 8 or 12.

When I think about Wind Waker over Ocarina, or Brawl over Melee. I think it comes down to demographic switch. Eventually older games in the 90s, early 2000s will feel underappreciated. Younger people will feel nostalgia for 2000s games over 90s/ early 2000s.

Jaicee said:

1) Butterfly Soup
2) Gone Home
3) Knights and Bikes
4) Chop Suey
5) Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
6) Crypt of the NecroDancer
7) Cadence of Hyrule
8) Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor
9) Papo & Yo
10) Kentucky Route Zero
11) ScourgeBringer
12) Death Stranding
13) It Takes Two <-- Seriously!! You know, the GOTY winner at The Game Awards?!
14) Gato Roboto
15) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
16) Pony Island
17) Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
18) This War of Mine
19) Streets of Rage 4
20) The Artful Escape
21) The Shrouded Isle
22) That Dragon, Cancer
23) Deathloop <-- Yup, just me!
24) Mission: It's Complicated
25) There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

I mean, I always kind of expect my lesbian romances and feminist type games to be more or less unique to my list, along with some quirkier, super-obscure faves of mine like ScourgeBringer, Pony Island, There Is No Game, that sorta thing...but come on now, I didn't expect to the be the only person who included Kentucky Route Zero, Hellblade, Sakuna, It Takes Two, Deathloop, This War of Mine, and Streets of Rage 4. Those are a little less obscure and have real fan bases.

I can't say if they will eventually make my list, but a lot of those unique titles on your list are games that I just haven't gotten around to playing yet. I own Hellblade, Cadence of Huryle and This War of Mine, but haven't played them yet, and I am planning on getting The Artful Escape, Sakuna, Pony Island, That Dragon, Cancer and at least a few others you listed. You know, once my list of unplayed games isn't so massive, so hopefully within the next five years or so.