By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to buy Activision Blizzard for 69 billion $

PotentHerbs said:
Dulfite said:

Doesn't suck for me. I've saved $1000-2000 in the past couple years doing Gamepass PC. My retirement portfolio thanks consolidation.

That's a short sighted way of looking at consolidation. An acquisition like this will impact the industry forever, for better or worse, at the very least gaming will look like the entertainment industry, where everything is fragmented even for PC. It can very well lead to Microsoft doubling the price of XBLG/GamePass or having their gaming division operate similar to Microsoft 365.

The latter is especially possible with the direction Microsoft is going in terms of subscription services. 

I doubt it is as simple. It is basically impossible at this point to gain a monopoly or even close in gaming.

In movies for instance you need a team to make a somewhat good movie and more importantly: it will be very difficult to distribute it in a way that you get a lot of viewers and money.

In gaming though you have lots of indies. It has never been easier to create a game - even as a single person. More importantly: it never has been easier to get your game to the consumer and their money in return. On PC you have Steam, GOG, itch.io, EGS. And always the option to simply sell it on your own website. Mobile is more difficult, as Google and Apple hold a firm grip on their respective ecosystem, but that doesn't seem to hinder game releases. And even on console more and more indies are able to publish. If some company in some sort of wonder acquires every game studio in the world today, then tomorrow a thousand new ones will exist.

The most important and expensive part of this acquisition probably was King, but if MS would've only bought King from Activision, nobody on this forum would care. Although that probably makes the most money.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

I'm quite excited to see how World of Warcraft can flourish once again without Bobby's claws being stuck into everything.

I don't like this...

I wonder if in like 6 months we will hear again "this won't be the last large acquisition by Microsoft".

Imagine (for fun) if it gets to a point where Sony and Nintendo are forced to collaborate...

1doesnotsimply

In terms of the games I play this doesn't really change much, since I think I've bought a grand total of one Activision-Blizzard game in the last 15 years. However, for the industry as a whole this seems like a continuation of a very unhealthy direction, with a few companies on top controlling almost every developer and franchise around.

PotentHerbs said:
Dulfite said:

How is it short sighted? They could make Gamepass $100 a month and I still would have saved money looking at what I've played on it and the value of those games over the past couple years. I fully expect them to raise the Gamepass price with this massive buyout and I'm fully okay with that. I'm saving money, especially when one considers the fact that purchased games are starting to go the route of $70 for AAA.

So you only account for the money you saved before Microsoft raises the monthly fee of GamePass? What happens when they raise the annual fee to $20 - $25, lock everything behind their subscription service with no option to purchase the games individually (like Microsoft Office), while the industry increasingly becomes fragmented? 

This could very well lead to Sony being increasingly more aggressive when it comes to acquisitions. Don't forget, Take Two recently bought Zynga, a mobile publisher that is more than half their market cap, with significantly less assets/cash on hand than Sony Corp. 

Read my post again about me still saving money if they raised monthly fees to $100.

Around the Network
Chazore said:

I remember way, way back when Disney almost had the whole movie industry, that said industry had to put a law in place to prevent Disney from owning everyone. That law has since eroded with time, but I hope to god ppl wake up an realise that MS and holdings companies are doomed to repeat that same scenario, and put the same kind of law in place.

It's not even remotely healthy to say this is great for everyone, because we saw how Disney went about it nearly 100 years ago, how we're seeing Disney doing it now, as well as other pubs and holdings companies. History will repeat itself, please stop enabling it and saying it's the correct course, because it ain't. 

Leynos said:

This industry is so fucked. I don't like Activision but what MS is doing is a monopoly. This should not be legal. Sure Spencer does it with a smile but really he's just as dirty as an excec. Eliminate the commotion by buying everyone. Age-old monopoly garbage.

I'm not aware of that Chazone, interesting.

Anti-monopoly laws exist, in US and EU but whether it will hold up here is different. This is a US company buying another, so likely to happen and neither MS or Activision are market leaders, so this is just 2 big ones joining. Nintendo, Sony, Nintendo, 2K and EA own enough of the rest of the industry to form competition. Nintendo nor Sony are buying rival publishers, other ones are but they don't control the platforms, so you know the games acquired will stay on those platforms but just sucks to be a certain game fan if you have happened to not purchase an MS platform.

Last edited by The Fury - on 18 January 2022

Hmm, pie.

My thoughts are that I would have rather seen the money spent on Take Two, or stretch it to buy EA.

I just ultimately dont play comparatively as many Activision titles. But the impact for the industry? Enormous and completely unprecedented

Just... what. The gaming buying spree has reached a new peak. How is any of the other players going to even react to this?

69 billions... Damn.

Also, how is Kotick still there? I swear he must have so much dirt on so many people...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Dulfite said:

Read my post again about me still saving money if they raised monthly fees to $100.

But why aren't you counting the extra money you spend after Microsoft raises the price of GamePass? Unless you stop gaming in the near future, I don't see how that isn't being short sighted. 

Ms doesnt need sony for Cod. They anmounced go has surpassed 25 million. Even if 1/2 of that try it out than it 12. 5 million. That doesnt count those who refuse to get gp but will buy and those that play on steam and epic. Cod sells alot but it doesnt sell like it use to during the last 2 gens. If the new cod game was already in development and far into development for all mahcines then phil will probably honor it. But after that it will he exclusive. Just like how deathloop worked lol. 

Otter said:

Maybe now people will understand why I kept arguing that Elderscrolls being exclusive is not a given based on MS's pattern of behaviour and past statements on their big aquisitions... or do people now expect COD to also skip PS5 this year?

Otter said:

Maybe now people will understand why I kept arguing that Elderscrolls being exclusive is not a given based on MS's pattern of behaviour and past statements on their big aquisitions... or do people now expect COD to also skip PS5 this year?