By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Unless I am missing something, I feel like they should have made a switch lite oled version instead. there is no improvements for 100% docked users.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Otter said:

I mean the PS1 peaked the same year the PS2 was released. This wasn't a mistake or some failure from Sonys side, no one argues the PS2 was released too early. It went on to be the highest selling console of all time. Its release date was perfect. 

Actually, the PS1 peaked worldwide in 1998 (1997 in Japan, but the drop there in 1998 wasn't enough to offset gains elsewhere). The PS2 wasn't released until March 2000 in Japan and Q4 2000 everywhere else.

So, the PS2 was released two years after the PS1's WW peak, not the same year.

Oh, my mistake. I misread the VGC article

Last edited by Otter - on 06 July 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:
Manlytears said:

Think about this... BoTW 2 2023, cross-gen title to help on those "Switch 2" sales. This is very Nintendo...

Is it? From my record Nintendo don't release Cross Gen titles, they rather release the same game again years later and ask full price 

Do they though? How many Gamecube titles had the Wii? How many Wii titles the WiiU?

The only exception is Switch, that got a lot of WiiU remasters. But that is no big problem, as basically nobody played these games beforehand, as nobody owned a WiiU. So these were practically all new games.

Also, it's not like Nintendo invented remasters. It is pretty common on other platforms too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Damn what a letdown, So instead of a pro this is more like an XL model.

Slownenberg said:

This suggests no super long life cycle for Switch, so Switch 2 (with the rumored 4k DLSS) launching in Spring or Holiday 2024 is highly probably.

Spring 2024 would be seven years though, therefore already longer than the usual 6-year cycle from Nintendo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Manlytears said:

This realy makes me think that "Switch 2" isn't too far away... perhaps 2023?

You're ignoring what Nintendo said last year about the Switch's life cycle. They said it entered the middle of it's life and this year  said that it is in the middle and that it will have a longer life than usual, not just six years.

OTBWY said:
JRPGfan said:

The better audio (speakers) is only if your gameing in handheld mode, and same with the screen.
If your docked, those things basically do nothing for you.

64 GB of storage is still pitiful.

Unlike the new consoles, this doesn't mean anything. I have a 512gb micro SD card and over 250 titles (about half digital) on my Switch and it is nowhere near full. You do can really well with a smaller gb micro SD for a very low price instead of expensive or proprietary SSD addons.

Exactly, 32 and 64 GB may be kinda low but since when should we actively look for bad optimization? for like ten years laptops/portable computers haven't changed the 128, 256, 512 GB storage of their disk for standard models, but the overall physical size of the computers have gone down making it easy to transport them compared to that 3-5 kg things me and my university classmates had to put on our backs, and the improvements to file writting, compression and coding among other things have made it so, that for example, we can have videos with better quality and resolution for less space than files several times their size but with very low resolution in avi or wmv formats from years ago, it's like for the PS1 and PS2, first there were the PS1 games using not one or two but four CDs that's more than 2.5 GB of space, while most Gamecube games were fine with 1.5 GB more than enough for some amazing games, 2.5 may seem insignificant now that the hyper-realistic games on the other consoles and PC go for 50,70,80,100,150,200 GB or so depending on the game, but there are several switch games using aproximately 2.5-3 GB just fine, and for both the PS1 and PS2 I don't know how they handled the size of their save files but we ended up needing several memory cards since the games kept using lots of blocks, while for the Gamecube we only needed one memory card, in the switch there are just a bunch of games on the 20-30 GB range if you have a 512 GB it certainly has a good amount of storage.

As for the "improvements" in this switch OLED i know it won't be for everyone it certainly isn't for me, but there are people that would be interested in buying it, and my nephew and cousins like to play with the stand on top of the dinning table, so maybe some of them would like to play with this new model.

IcaroRibeiro said:
burninmylight said:

This is perfect.

-Those who don't care about less than an inch of extra screen space and an OLED screen (aka those who primarily played docked like me) aren't missing anything.
-You can already buy a LAN adapter for your Switch for super cheap. Heck, I'm using my Wii LAN adapter from almost 15 years ago.
-Unless you're committed to physical, you probably already have a MicroSD card or two, and 32 extra GB space is a bucket of water in the ocean in terms of space.

Basically, only those who play primarily handheld and just absolutely have to have an OLED screen will feel the need to upgrade. The rest of us can save our money for the real future software paywall in the form of the Switch 2 that is hopefully 2+ years away.

I guess I must be happy if they don't release any game I want to play in the next 6 months, so I can save money for whatever thing they are releasing 2 years away?

Same logic here

Not sure what point you're trying to make, buddy.

burninmylight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I guess I must be happy if they don't release any game I want to play in the next 6 months, so I can save money for whatever thing they are releasing 2 years away?

Same logic here

I guess he really wants to support Nintendo and buy another console?

burninmylight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Same logic here

He must only play remasters, because that's the equivalent of desperately wanting a theoretical Switch Pro.