By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

I rarely use my Switch as a handheld, so this is a no go for me. Not a big deal, I'm fine with the Switch as it is.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

GoOnKid said:

Some of these responses here confuse me. Are you mad that you don't have to upgrade? Are you mad that you saved yourself 350 bucks? This product is for new customers.

Not really mad, if anything I'm fine we won't have exclusive games for new Switch as I wasn't planning to buy the new Switch, I was already saved from spending 350 bucks by default 

But Nintendo fans are very butthurt, people have no right to find any product lame on this forum it seems 

Sorry but I don't know how you got to that conclusion. The most butthurt person I can find in this thread is JRPGFan and I sincerely doubt he even considered a Switch at all.

Mnementh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is it? From my record Nintendo don't release Cross Gen titles, they rather release the same game again years later and ask full price 

Do they though? How many Gamecube titles had the Wii? How many Wii titles the WiiU?

The only exception is Switch, that got a lot of WiiU remasters. But that is no big problem, as basically nobody played these games beforehand, as nobody owned a WiiU. So these were practically all new games.

Also, it's not like Nintendo invented remasters. It is pretty common on other platforms too.

By crossgen I mean released simultaneously on both systems. There are very few games on Nintendo that are Cross Gen, they generally reserve all new software to the new systems, as a way to attract new buyers to next hardware. Was any Switch game released on Wii U minus BOTW?

How many Wii games were released on GC? How many Wii U games released on Wii?

It's as if they split the difference between those who claimed the Switch Pro was a fact and those who claimed it didn't exist.

Other than the nifty white/silver color, nothing about it really excites me.

Even if I was a first time Switch buyer I would have a hard time picking this up for $50 more over the standard Switch model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

Do they though? How many Gamecube titles had the Wii? How many Wii titles the WiiU?

The only exception is Switch, that got a lot of WiiU remasters. But that is no big problem, as basically nobody played these games beforehand, as nobody owned a WiiU. So these were practically all new games.

Also, it's not like Nintendo invented remasters. It is pretty common on other platforms too.

By crossgen I mean released simultaneously on both systems. There are very few games on Nintendo that are Cross Gen, they generally reserve all new software to the new systems, as a way to attract new buyers to next hardware. Was any Switch game released on Wii U minus BOTW?

I understand cross-gen, Twilight Princess was cross-gen, as was BOTW. But you said Nintendo prefers later remasters. Which wasn't really much of a thing before Switch with the WiiU remasters. That's all what I said. And as I said, we have Ghost of Tsushima as the lastest example that other companies do that as well.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I guess I must be happy if they don't release any game I want to play in the next 6 months, so I can save money for whatever thing they are releasing 2 years away?

Same logic here

Not sure what point you're trying to make, buddy.

Sorry, I will be less cryptic: 

Don't many any sense for me to be happy because a company haven't released something you find worth it. It's like Wii U owner saying in 2016: "I'm happy Nintendo is not releasing any Wii U game anymore so I can save it for Switch!"

Mnementh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I understand cross-gen, Twilight Princess was cross-gen, as was BOTW. But you said Nintendo prefers later remasters. Which wasn't really much of a thing before Switch with the WiiU remasters. That's all what I said. And as I said, we have Ghost of Tsushima as the lastest example that other companies do that as well.

Other consoles have more Cross Gen titles than Nintendo though, even if they are mostly third parties. I mean, you could play Persona 5 on PS3 even in 2017

Nintendo itself reserves most of their new games for next Gen consoles. I'm sure even if those games could perfectly playable on Switch they will purposefully not release it on Switch, so people will have more reasons to buy Switch 2

I don't see this as a problem itself, but it's their modo operandis. To say Cross Gen games are something "very Nintendo" is a stretch, they are the manufacturer that makes the cross gen period the hardest to adapt 

Mnementh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The Wii had a whole series of Gamecube re-releases with added motion controls. Play on Wii or New Play Control is what they were called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
Mnementh said:

The Wii had a whole series of Gamecube re-releases with added motion controls. Play on Wii is what they were called.

I'm not talking about older games released on new consoles, I mean games developed simultaneously for both systems and released for both systems. Nintendo is know for saving their new games only for new systems, it's the selling point of those systems

New screen looks nice and crisp and unless they played up the audio in the trailer, it also sounds much better than the previous models. And the kickstand would finally be actually usable.

However, this should have come at no price increase, even with the other improvements. Paying $50 more for this is simply not worth it. Unless they bundle it with a game that is, as that would soak up the extra cost. And a question that still stands is: how will the battery life be affected by the bigger, brighter screen?

As for the lack of hardware upgrade, I was fully expecting this.

There hasn't been any new Tegra announced or leaked which could have pointed at it, so there simply wasn't any new hardware possible apart from a Switch (ha!) to X2. But since the die-shrink of the X1, the performance advantage of the X2 would be slim at best. It's successors Xavier, Orin and Atlan, all of them being developed with the automotive industry in mind, are way too large and power-consuming to be of any use in a handheld without modification. In Xavier's case, it's the Volta GPU that was 100% geared for HPC and other industrial work and is just very unefficient as a gaming GPU. Also, Orin and Atlan are late, with Orin only really releasing next year and Atlan in 2025.

As a result, there is a distinct lack of viable option for a hardware upgrade until next year earliest unless NVidia would go on and make a totally custom Tegra chip for Nintendo, something NVidia has denied to be willing to do several times over.