By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

mZuzek said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

New screen looks nice and crisp and unless they played up the audio in the trailer, it also sounds much better than the previous models.

They played up the audio in the trailer.

I mean, of course they did. You're watching the trailer on your phone or computer, with your own audio setup. It won't sound like the console's speakers no matter what you do. And they wouldn't record the speakers' audio with a microphone cause it'd sound like crap, so really at that point it's all speculative.

I meant with this that I hope the change is really audible if you would put a current model and the future model side by side in handheld/kickstand mode and play the same music/sound effects, which is something we will only find out for sure in October when first reviews come out.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 06 July 2021

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Otter said:

Oh, my mistake. I think this may of instead been thinking of the FY where sony shipped the most units.  

Going by calendar year, at least, here's what the PS1 had shipped globally from its peak onward:

1998: 22.5M
1999: 21.12M
2000: 7.79M

If you want to go by fiscal years, then here's how it looked each year starting April 1:

1995: 4.3M
1996: 9.2M
1997: 19.37M
1998: 21.6M
1999: 18.5M
2000: 9.31M
2001: 7.4M
2002: 6.78M
2003: 3.31M
2004: 2.77M

In terms of actual sales, even though shipments in 1999 show a very modest decline, calendar year sales were actually down from 1998 by 30.6% in Japan and 17.9% in the U.S.. However, in numerical terms that was a total decline of only about 2.57M between the two regions, and Sony's shipment data suggests sales in Europe were up in 1999 (both fiscal and calendar), which would have offset declines in Japan and North America. But Sony slowed down shipments to Europe big time once 2000 rolled around.

To the best of my knowledge, no system was ever replaced when its global sales were at a peak. Some have been replaced when they were still doing very well, but even those systems had passed their peaks when their successor was released.

Yeah, I would assume GBA would the closest if not an actual example but i cant find the numbers

It's been confirmed that there's no upgraded cpu, or ram or gpu. 

Otter said:

I imagine the specs are maybe slightly improved but not a marketing point. I could see games with dynamic resolution or an unstable frame rate holding better performance or more reliably hitting their upper bounds. The dock looks fat so I'm curious what its hiding

burninmylight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Sorry, I will be less cryptic: 

Don't many any sense for me to be happy because a company haven't released something you find worth it. It's like Wii U owner saying in 2016: "I'm happy Nintendo is not releasing any Wii U game anymore so I can save it for Switch!"

No, it's more like a Wii U owner saying, "I'm happy Nintendo is not releasing a Wii U-zii (my name for the Wii U Pro) so that I don't have to overcome another hardware barrier to get to Wii U games that either run a little better or are exclusive to it! I would rather spend that money on the Switch and feel happier that I'm getting a true generational upgrade rather than paying hundreds of dollars for a slightly better processor and more RAM!"

This quote sums it up best:

mZuzek said:

Personally I like this better than a Switch Pro. It's got next to nothing in terms of selling points for those who already own a Switch, which means I won't ever feel obligated to buying one. If we had a proper mid-gen upgrade, it'd likely result in games being poorly optimized for the base console and eventually running like shit. To be fair, they kinda already run like shit, but it'd be worse.

Not everyone has the money to go spending around in fancy new consoles all the time. I don't want my current Switch to be made obsolete by an enhanced version because I don't have $400 lying around and even if I had, I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Never liked the idea of mid-gen upgrades to begin with, really.

Just hope Nintendo's next-gen console is a proper, no gimmicks Switch 2, and that it is a significant improvement not only in specs, but also OS, online, features in general, and product quality. And with enhanced backwards compatibility of course.

I think I get it. Makes more sense now. But I don't think Switch 2 is close though, I think it's still very far away

Very mixed on this. I'm not really in the market for most Nintendo hardware variants anyway. I only ever had a DSi or OG 3DS for instance. I never picked up any of their revisions or upgrades.

Most of these features are just things that should've launched with the Switch. Back in 2017 the Switch could've easily had 64 GB of storage, a good kickstand, a 7 inch screen, and an ethernet port in the dock. The OLED screen I don't really care too much about one way or the other. It's better than an LCD screen, but wasn't feeling absent back in 2017 or even 2021.

The price is too high. This premium offering should be $300. The standard Switch should be $250, and the Lite should be $170.

If we still somehow do get a Switch Pro, Nintendo is certainly taking a long time. The DSi and New 3DS launched about exactly 4 years after the original models launched. We're at over 4 and a half years by time this OLED model launches.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Thank goodness it's a revision with fixed features from the flawed original Switch, i can't wait to grab one for handheld mode.

Seems pretty clear to me the leakers had information on two separate products. There is no doubt Nintendo was working on both this new Switch model and a Switch successor. Seems like they made an assumption and combined all their information into one product, and that is where they got it wrong. All that other stuff is likely the start of work on Switch 2 or whatever they are going to call it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

noshten said:
Baddman said:

not the switch pro ppl believed and 50 more expensive than the base model I'm sure some are disappointed but I think I will get this and give my old switch to my gf who wants her own switch for animal crossing

I've always maintained that the best way to go about mid-gen upgrade for the Switch is a stand-alone ProDock you can purchase that's compatible with all Switch models. This allows you to tap into a potential 85M+ user-base as opposed to starting from scratch. 

Is this technically feasible? From what I recall the dock port is not fast enough to act as an extension of internal hardware, only as an upscale. Still something that can be marketed but not something that could improve fps or actual resolution/graphics. Maybe someone more informed could elaborate.

But for sure I think external add ons are the future of mid gen upgrades 

GoOnKid said:

Some of these responses here confuse me. Are you mad that you don't have to upgrade? Are you mad that you saved yourself 350 bucks? This product is for new customers.

I'd rather have an official way to have my Switch games look nicer on a 4K screen. Looks like I may go with an M Classic. Also with PS5/XSX out, something with beefier specs with DLSS could have had more REAL 3rd party support over cloud garbage.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

theRepublic said:

Seems pretty clear to me the leakers had information on two separate products. There is no doubt Nintendo was working on both this new Switch model and a Switch successor. Seems like they made an assumption and combined all their information into one product, and that is where they got it wrong. All that other stuff is likely the start of work on Switch 2 or whatever they are going to call it.

Entirely possible. On the other hand, maybe Nintendo is so content with Switch demand (they literally can't make enough of them) that they feel a mid-gen hardware upgrade is unnecessary. The DS was already doing insanely well, and didn't really need the DSi. But it still helped. But with the 3DS, I think they released the New 3DS to reinvigorate waning interest by late 2014 to early 2015. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on the 3DS.

Maybe Nintendo is really going to market the Switch's successor very heavily on improved specs, 4K resolution, and some other aspects. And if that's the case, having a Switch Pro in-between the original Switch and its successor takes some of the hype out of a Switch 2.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima