By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

not the switch pro ppl believed and 50 more expensive than the base model I'm sure some are disappointed but I think I will get this and give my old switch to my gf who wants her own switch for animal crossing

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

I understand cross-gen, Twilight Princess was cross-gen, as was BOTW. But you said Nintendo prefers later remasters. Which wasn't really much of a thing before Switch with the WiiU remasters. That's all what I said. And as I said, we have Ghost of Tsushima as the lastest example that other companies do that as well.

Other consoles have more Cross Gen titles than Nintendo though, even if they are mostly third parties. I mean, you could play Persona 5 on PS3 even in 2017

Nintendo itself reserves most of their new games for next Gen consoles. I'm sure even if those games could perfectly playable on Switch they will purposefully not release it on Switch, so people will have more reasons to buy Switch 2

I don't see this as a problem itself, but it's their modo operandis. To say Cross Gen games are something "very Nintendo" is a stretch, they are the manufacturer that makes the cross gen period the hardest to adapt 

I think there is a misunderstanding. I never doubted that Switch don't have many cross-gen titles, but you were going on talking about the remasters ("they rather release the same game again years later and ask full price"). Which is a pretty new thing. Although as Signalstar pointed out, there also were the new play control games on Wii, I only remember that for Pikmin, but maybe there were more of that.

Anyways, I don't think cross-gen is very Nintendo, and manlytears was talking specifically about BOTW2. And yes Zelda was a cross-gen game with Twilight Princess and BOTW now. In recent time only the transition from Wii to WiiU came without a cross-gen Zelda.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 06 July 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Other consoles have more Cross Gen titles than Nintendo though, even if they are mostly third parties. I mean, you could play Persona 5 on PS3 even in 2017

Nintendo itself reserves most of their new games for next Gen consoles. I'm sure even if those games could perfectly playable on Switch they will purposefully not release it on Switch, so people will have more reasons to buy Switch 2

I don't see this as a problem itself, but it's their modo operandis. To say Cross Gen games are something "very Nintendo" is a stretch, they are the manufacturer that makes the cross gen period the hardest to adapt 

I think there is a misunderstanding. I never doubted that Switch don't have many cross-gen titles, but you were going on talking about the remasters ("they rather release the same game again years later and ask full price"). Which is a pretty new thing. Although as Signalstar pointed out, there also were the new play control games on Wii, I only remember that for Pikmin, but maybe there were more of that.

Anyways, I don't think cross-gen is very Nintendo, and manlytears was talking specifically about BOTW2. And yes Zelda was a cross-gen game with Twilight Princess and BOTW now. In recent time only the transition from Wii to WiiU came without a cross-gen Zelda.

I feel Zelda is more a case of games that took quite some time to develop so they decided to delay it until it became Cross gen. It's most a coincidence I think, it happened only two times, most of Zelda games aren't Cross gen 

BOTW 2... I doubt it will be Cross gen, it will be released next year, it can be released on Switch 2 some years away, but be a Cross gen title? Not feeling it, unless you believe Switch is coming early 2023 but I will be surprised to see Nintendo dropping Switch with so many support and new games promised to 2022, I only believe in Switch 2 once Nintendo first party schedule starts to become dry exactly because I don't see them as a company that encourages Cross gen development 

My bet still 2024 or even 2025 

Looks nice, but I'm not gonna get it. I mainly play in docked mode, so it's not necessary for me to get it.

IcaroRibeiro said:
burninmylight said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make, buddy.

Sorry, I will be less cryptic: 

Don't many any sense for me to be happy because a company haven't released something you find worth it. It's like Wii U owner saying in 2016: "I'm happy Nintendo is not releasing any Wii U game anymore so I can save it for Switch!"

Not really the same thing. More like "Im happy Nintendo doesnt release upgraded versions of already released Switch games so I can save the money for new games".

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

I feel Zelda is more a case of games that took quite some time to develop so they decided to delay it until it became Cross gen. It's most a coincidence I think, it happened only two times, most of Zelda games aren't Cross gen 

BOTW 2... I doubt it will be Cross gen, it will be released next year, it can be released on Switch 2 some years away, but be a Cross gen title? Not feeling it, unless you believe Switch is coming early 2023 but I will be surprised to see Nintendo dropping Switch with so many support and new games promised to 2022, I only believe in Switch 2 once Nintendo first party schedule starts to become dry exactly because I don't see them as a company that encourages Cross gen development 

My bet still 2024 or even 2025 

Yeah, I'm with you on BOTW2, it is announced for next year, Switch 2 will take longer.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

IcaroRibeiro said:
burninmylight said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make, buddy.

Don't many any sense for me to be happy because a company haven't released something you find worth it. It's like Wii U owner saying in 2016: "I'm happy Nintendo is not releasing any Wii U game anymore so I can save it for Switch!"

No, it's more like a Wii U owner saying, "I'm happy Nintendo is not releasing a Wii U-zii (my name for the Wii U Pro) so that I don't have to overcome another hardware barrier to get to Wii U games that either run a little better or are exclusive to it! I would rather spend that money on the Switch and feel happier that I'm getting a true generational upgrade rather than paying hundreds of dollars for a slightly better processor and more RAM!"

This quote sums it up best:

mZuzek said:

Personally I like this better than a Switch Pro. It's got next to nothing in terms of selling points for those who already own a Switch, which means I won't ever feel obligated to buying one. If we had a proper mid-gen upgrade, it'd likely result in games being poorly optimized for the base console and eventually running like shit. To be fair, they kinda already run like shit, but it'd be worse.

Not everyone has the money to go spending around in fancy new consoles all the time. I don't want my current Switch to be made obsolete by an enhanced version because I don't have $400 lying around and even if I had, I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Never liked the idea of mid-gen upgrades to begin with, really.

Just hope Nintendo's next-gen console is a proper, no gimmicks Switch 2, and that it is a significant improvement not only in specs, but also OS, online, features in general, and product quality. And with enhanced backwards compatibility of course.

KLXVER said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Not really the same thing. More like "Im happy Nintendo doesnt release upgraded versions of already released Switch games so I can save the money for new games".

^This guy gets it.

Baddman said:

not the switch pro ppl believed and 50 more expensive than the base model I'm sure some are disappointed but I think I will get this and give my old switch to my gf who wants her own switch for animal crossing

I've always maintained that the best way to go about mid-gen upgrade for the Switch is a stand-alone ProDock you can purchase that's compatible with all Switch models. This allows you to tap into a potential 85M+ user-base as opposed to starting from scratch. 

I'll probably trade my original Switch for this as I prefer playing handheld mode and OLED screen is a very nice upgrade. But except OLED screen, other things are not a big difference from what current Switch model have, so it's still a question whether I decide to upgrade or not.