By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Ah so interesting all the 4k rumors were wrong.

So basically a pretty standard "XL" model. Bigger better screen, better audio, double (but still small) storage, ethernet cable, and better stand.

With the rumored 4k plus higher performance upgrade I had been thinking Nintendo was gonna go with a longer Switch lifecycle strategy where the successor wouldn't be until maybe like 2026, but with a standard XL upgrade this has me back to thinking a Switch 2 is coming around Spring 2024, or at latest holiday 2024 if sales continue to be very strong into like 2023.

I don't see a reason for current owners to upgrade other than the most hardcore Nintendo fans. I definitely won't be upgrading unless something happens to my Switch. The upgrades are nice but not enough for me to buy a whole new system when mine works fine. I could see this getting a price drop to $300 maybe by end of 2022 and replacing the OG model since it's only $50 more to start.

Will be a good option for newcomers to the Switch though who don't mind paying a little bit more money for the best version of the Switch.

Overall disappointing but good for all those people who for some reason want a Switch 2 soon, as it means you'll probably get that in 3 years (though not the crazy like 1 year that those people seem to want for some bizarre reason) rather than Nintendo making Switch's lifecycle super long. No doubt Nintendo has prototypes of Switch 2 by now, so I bet those 4k DLSS rumors were from leaks of early stage prototypes of the next gen system.

Takeaways:

- nice better model for people new to Switch, but not much of an upgradeable system for current owners except hardcore Nintendo fans or those with a Switch on the fritz

- no super long Switch lifecycle, Switch 2 (with 4k DLSS) probably coming in Spring or Holiday 2024 (and for those who hoped MK9 would release on Switch I think you're out of luck now, it'll be a launch title on Switch 2 in 2024)

- this will probably replace OG model late 2022 or early 2023 and drop to $300

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 06 July 2021

Around the Network

For new adopters, should make them happy

Seems like the 4K Switch rumors were about its successor rather than the revised model we got today.

SwitchXL might have 4K output enabled (a feature that is supported by the old Tegra X1) for streaming support. We will see if there is any new hardware iteration onboard.

Mnementh said:

You instead choose to believe Nintendo decided to just sit on a model with upgraded internal chipset and releases an OLED model without that? Because you believe the rumours?

It might be possible that Nintendo considered a 4K option and chose not to go that way, but some rumours included apparently production of a new model and combined that with 4K. So no, Nintendo hasn't produced 4K units and holds them now back out of spite. So the rumours were wrong.

Is there something about the bolded that is hard to believe? Nintendo going for the higher profit margin option which disrupts the market less is pretty reasonable imo. Not to forget there is a chip shortage and the Switch is still selling like hotcakes.

And with the second paragraph, you are absolutely right that people can conflate information. Early reports about a 4k Switch with OLED could have been accurate at the time in early 2021 https://www.engadget.com/nintendo-switch-4k-

...Later reports confirming that it was in production were obviously right, but they may been parroting the outdating 4k/new chip information, assuming that it was still accurate.

My point is its unlikely the 4k information was "made up", but more it was outdated. Clearly Bloomberg/Eurogamer sources were legit, so why would a legit source throw in lies? 

Around the Network
Podings said:

Glad to see that Nintendo did the sensible thing in every regard with this one. :)

Overall, yeah, I was very much looking forward to a revision with better specs, but such a move didn't make too much sense right now. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Manlytears said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Not much. Nintendo still have games to release for Switch as far as 2023

Switch 2 won't come before christmas 2024, unless they go to Sony/MS Strategy with BC compatibility, Cross Gen releases, etc. I like this strategy better so hopefully it's the case 

Think about this... BoTW 2 2023, cross-gen title to help on those "Switch 2" sales. This is very Nintendo...

Is it? From my record Nintendo don't release Cross Gen titles, they rather release the same game again years later and ask full price 

Might still buy it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Launch Day switch owner here, who mainly plays in handheld mode. This is still probably not for me. Just like the XL wasn't for me. 350 for a nice screen isn't really worth it in my opinion. UNLESS I plan on getting a second switch. Kids are getting a little older now, so having individual switches isn't out of the question. So I could theoretically grab a "new" switch and hand down my OG Switch. But I'm not in any rush.

I see no reason to upgrade if it's not more powerful.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!