By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Otter said:

Isn't it more exciting however to think that Switch 2 is maybe not too far away? 

Not much. Nintendo still have games to release for Switch as far as 2023

Switch 2 won't come before christmas 2024, unless they go to Sony/MS Strategy with BC compatibility, Cross Gen releases, etc. I like this strategy better so hopefully it's the case 

I mean Nintendo launched Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon & Metroid Returns on 3DS late 2017 after the Switch was already out 

I would bet 2022 is Switch's last year of Nintendo's full focus. By fall 2023 Switch 2 arrives, Switch will still get releases as with the DS/3DS. Only difference now is they will be cross-gen. Looking at you Metroid Prime 4 ;) 

Around the Network

Some of these responses here confuse me. Are you mad that you don't have to upgrade? Are you mad that you saved yourself 350 bucks? This product is for new customers.

This is gonna be a pass for me.
Not gonna fork over $350 just for a wider, prettier screen.

Remember how a lot of people were predicting that third-party support for the Switch would drop off a cliff when the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S showed up, as the power gulf between the two would be too great for games produced for the latter platforms to get Switch ports?

My guess is that the rumored Switch Pro was an insurance policy against that - and Nintendo are probably now satisfied that software development is going to continue on the PS4 and Xbox One for long enough (as opposed to what happened with the PS3 and 360, which were pretty much abandoned en masse after 2014) that they can afford to leave any Switch Pro on the back burner long enough for nVidia to come up with something that offers a true generational leap.

GoOnKid said:

Some of these responses here confuse me. Are you mad that you don't have to upgrade? Are you mad that you saved yourself 350 bucks? This product is for new customers.

People bought into rumors, and then they expected something, and were subsequently let down when they didn't get what they expected.

I don't think a major mid gen upgrade was a great idea to begin with, so I'm fine with this. I'd rather this be priced the same as the standard Switch (with that being reduced to 250), but seeing how well the Switch is selling at 300, I get why Nintendo wouldn't be inclined to lower the price.

Personally, I've been holding off on buying a PS5 or XBOXSX until I knew what the new Switch model was all about. Now that I know, I can focus on trying to get one of those.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 06 July 2021

Around the Network
Otter said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Not much. Nintendo still have games to release for Switch as far as 2023

Switch 2 won't come before christmas 2024, unless they go to Sony/MS Strategy with BC compatibility, Cross Gen releases, etc. I like this strategy better so hopefully it's the case 

I mean Nintendo launched Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon & Metroid Returns on 3DS late 2017 after the Switch was already out 

I would bet 2022 is Switch's last year of Nintendo's full focus. By fall 2023 Switch 2 arrives, Switch will still get releases as with the DS/3DS. Only difference now is they will be cross-gen. Looking at you Metroid Prime 4 ;) 

Why would 2022 be it's last full year when we still can't say for certain it's actually peaking? A year ago it certainly wasn't mainstream thought that Switch should still be peaking now.

Even if it's incredibly unlikely to peak for a third year in a row, the fact they already have several confirmed heavy hitters announced and dated for 2022 and beyond, along with some that are surely in the pipeline by now (MARIO KART 9), if they can time the releases right they should be able to minimise the sales drop year-over-year until at least 2024.

Why do people keep assuming Nintendo should want to move away from one of, if not the most successful product they've ever had, as soon as possible? Why would they prioritise holding back BotW2 and MK9 for cross-gen, when they can release them sooner to an already massive install base, while also sustaining Switch sales for years to come?

There wont be a "Pro" version of the Switch
We will have to wait for the actual next "Switch 2" console

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

So my guess is that the regular and OLED models will coexist until they want to phase out the regular and bring down the OLED to the 299$ price point. Nice way of doing a price cut without really any at the same time.

It's a great upgrade if you predominantly play in a handheld and/or tabletop mode. Otherwise, the old Switch + the SD card and LAN adapter are better value. I'm pretty sure it will sell like hotcakes regardless. I'd most likely get one if my old Switch breaks beyond repair. That's if it's not going to be scalped to death by this time, of course.

A self-bought Christmas present for dad :D

I’d estimate Switch 2 launches in early calendar 2023 (or fiscal Q4 2023).

The one thing I really want to see is Switch 2 acting as a high end Switch 1 rather than a completely separate platform. Nintendo’s no longer using these obscure custom power PC chips, this is mainline ARM lineage. Much like others in this lineage and others, the majority of games can be released to work on both hardware different settings. Only the games that absolutely need the higher settings need be exclusive to Switch 2 - which, let’s be real, is going to be a small minority as most games released on Switch today could easily work on Wii with lower settings.

It’d be good for Nintendo and third parties as they can continue selling software to their massive existing base at the same time as their growing new base. Great for customers as it means they’re not buying software forever stuck on obsolete hardware with obsolete settings. Great for Nintendo because customers are already increasing the chance they’ll upgrade by investing in the Switch software ecosystem - essentially, buying Switch 2 games before they upgrade. Want that 36 player mode? Those more detailed graphics? Smoother animations? Buy the new hardware. Want to experience the next Mario and Zelda in its maximum glory? Buy the new hardware! How about GTA6, Witcher 4, and the exclusive Super Mario Galaxy 3? Wanna be hardcore and compete with the best frame rates in whatever area shooter you play?  Buy the new hardware you fucking peasant!!! - that can be Nintendo’s slogan :)

Last edited by Jumpin - on 06 July 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.