By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Otter said:
shikamaru317 said:

What a colossal letdown. We needed a proper Switch Pro with better specs, instead we get this giant nothing burger. And the cherry on top of the crap cake? They are charging $350 for it when it should be replacing the current model at $300.

Isn't it more exciting however to think that Switch 2 is maybe not too far away? 

Not much. Nintendo still have games to release for Switch as far as 2023

Switch 2 won't come before christmas 2024, unless they go to Sony/MS Strategy with BC compatibility, Cross Gen releases, etc. I like this strategy better so hopefully it's the case 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Otter said:

Isn't it more exciting however to think that Switch 2 is maybe not too far away? 

Switch 2 won't come before christmas 2024, unless they go to Sony/MS Strategy with BC compatibility, Cross Gen releases, etc. I like this strategy better so hopefully it's the case 

Think about this... BoTW 2 2023, cross-gen title to help on those "Switch 2" sales. This is very Nintendo...

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

dan_banan said:

It looks really sleek! And that colour scheme looks really good together with Metroid Dread :)
And honestly happy that it seems to have the same hardware specs and to be fully backwards compatible. My biggest fear with all these Switch Pro rumours was being "forced" to double dip in order to play upcoming games.

Exactly! I'm glad that there won't be a split library like with the New 3DS.

Bandorr said:
OTBWY said:

Is it on Nintendo though? Publications and insiders hyped up a Pro model and we ate it. 

Don't know. Will have to trace the rumor chain.  Odds are there was time for Nintendo to step in and curb peoples expectations.

Even without the rumors though it is a bad trailer.  What was the point of showing the games on the TV if docking it changes nothing? Why say "better audio" if they just mean bigger speakers?

And a bigger stand? Really? Are people actually busting out their switch pulling out the stand and crowding around one playing it like that? Never seen that at all.

I did that just this morning in my kitchen when we drank coffee. The misses was browsing in the web while I played New Pokemon Snap. It's much more comfortable to play like that when you sit at a table. Give it a try. And yes, a bigger stand certainly helps because the current stand is a bit shaky. 

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Also nothing about new Joycons. Nintendo reminding us once again the only DK they know is 'Drift King'. 40th anniversary of who?

Welp, there's your Switch Pro.

Around the Network

Well... SwitchXL

At least we don't get a confusing Switch Pro for $400 and too late in the hardware cycle.

I expect a Switch II by early 2023.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Otter said:

I mean Nintendo launched Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon & Metroid Returns on 3DS late 2017 after the Switch was already out 

I would bet 2022 is Switch's last year of Nintendo's full focus. By fall 2023 Switch 2 arrives, Switch will still get releases as with the DS/3DS. Only difference now is they will be cross-gen. Looking at you Metroid Prime 4 ;) 

Some of these responses here confuse me. Are you mad that you don't have to upgrade? Are you mad that you saved yourself 350 bucks? This product is for new customers.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Otter said:
shikamaru317 said:

What a colossal letdown. We needed a proper Switch Pro with better specs, instead we get this giant nothing burger. And the cherry on top of the crap cake? They are charging $350 for it when it should be replacing the current model at $300.

On the one hand, I agree, no Switch Pro could mean that we will see Switch 2 as early as Q1 2023, 6 years after the release of Switch 1. On the other hand, the lack of a Switch Pro might not stop Nintendo from milking Switch 1 for all it's worth, we could be waiting until 2024 or even Q1 2025 for Switch 2 regardless of a lack of a Switch Pro.

There is also the issue of games that already have performance issues on Switch, we needed a model that could smooth out those rough edges. I for one wanted a Switch Pro to fix the mess that was Pokemon Legends Arceus on it's reveal trailer, unless Gamefreak manages to work a miracle of optimization in it's final year of development, that game is going to have significant graphical and performance issues on Standard Switch and Switch Lite. 

This is gonna be a pass for me.
Not gonna fork over $350 just for a wider, prettier screen.