By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Heh, all of those leakers took us on one hell of a ride.  I don't think I can consider Bloomberg News a credible source anymore, at least not for gaming news. 

However, this does look like the kind of mid-gen upgrade Nintendo always gives with their handhelds.  They basically listen to feedback from customers and after a few years make some fine adjustments and maybe a couple of minor enhancements.  A better stand, more internal storage, wired LAN capability...those are things that people have been commenting on since 2017.  This is basically the Switch version of the new 3DS and not the Switch version of the PS4 Pro.  

I will probably get one (or more) of these models at some point, but there is no rush.  I like the ethernet port.  I am assuming that I could get 8-12 people in the same room to play Mario Kart together, but I've never looked into trying such a thing.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

What a colossal letdown. We needed a proper Switch Pro with better specs, instead we get this giant nothing burger. And the cherry on top of the crap cake? They are charging $350 for it when it should be replacing the current model at $300.

Isn't it more exciting however to think that Switch 2 is maybe not too far away? 

This realy makes me think that "Switch 2" isn't too far away... perhaps 2023?

Otter said:
shikamaru317 said:

What a colossal letdown. We needed a proper Switch Pro with better specs, instead we get this giant nothing burger. And the cherry on top of the crap cake? They are charging $350 for it when it should be replacing the current model at $300.

Isn't it more exciting however to think that Switch 2 is maybe not too far away? 

Not much. Nintendo still have games to release for Switch as far as 2023

Switch 2 won't come before christmas 2024, unless they go to Sony/MS Strategy with BC compatibility, Cross Gen releases, etc. I like this strategy better so hopefully it's the case 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Otter said:

Not much. Nintendo still have games to release for Switch as far as 2023

Switch 2 won't come before christmas 2024, unless they go to Sony/MS Strategy with BC compatibility, Cross Gen releases, etc. I like this strategy better so hopefully it's the case 

Think about this... BoTW 2 2023, cross-gen title to help on those "Switch 2" sales. This is very Nintendo...

dan_banan said:

It looks really sleek! And that colour scheme looks really good together with Metroid Dread :)
And honestly happy that it seems to have the same hardware specs and to be fully backwards compatible. My biggest fear with all these Switch Pro rumours was being "forced" to double dip in order to play upcoming games.

Exactly! I'm glad that there won't be a split library like with the New 3DS.

Bandorr said:
OTBWY said:

Is it on Nintendo though? Publications and insiders hyped up a Pro model and we ate it. 

Don't know. Will have to trace the rumor chain.  Odds are there was time for Nintendo to step in and curb peoples expectations.

Even without the rumors though it is a bad trailer.  What was the point of showing the games on the TV if docking it changes nothing? Why say "better audio" if they just mean bigger speakers?

And a bigger stand? Really? Are people actually busting out their switch pulling out the stand and crowding around one playing it like that? Never seen that at all.

I did that just this morning in my kitchen when we drank coffee. The misses was browsing in the web while I played New Pokemon Snap. It's much more comfortable to play like that when you sit at a table. Give it a try. And yes, a bigger stand certainly helps because the current stand is a bit shaky. 

Also nothing about new Joycons. Nintendo reminding us once again the only DK they know is 'Drift King'. 40th anniversary of who?

Welp, there's your Switch Pro.

Well... SwitchXL

At least we don't get a confusing Switch Pro for $400 and too late in the hardware cycle.

I expect a Switch II by early 2023.