By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Honestly what were people expecting to see? I don't see any hardware out there currently that is mobile and made by Nvidia that is ready to be released atm to be worthy of being called a substantial upgrade in power. We have seen bugger all news on what Nvidia are doing especially now that they own ARMs too. It is the worlds biggest secret and I cannot see where this supposed power jump is meant to come from based on what we have seen so far announced.

Around the Network

This is perfect.

-Those who don't care about less than an inch of extra screen space and an OLED screen (aka those who primarily played docked like me) aren't missing anything.
-You can already buy a LAN adapter for your Switch for super cheap. Heck, I'm using my Wii LAN adapter from almost 15 years ago.
-Unless you're committed to physical, you probably already have a MicroSD card or two, and 32 extra GB space is a bucket of water in the ocean in terms of space.

Basically, only those who play primarily handheld and just absolutely have to have an OLED screen will feel the need to upgrade. The rest of us can save our money for the real future software paywall in the form of the Switch 2 that is hopefully 2+ years away.

Meh. If my Switch ever needs replacement, I'd probably go with this model, but don't see a need to upgrade.

What a colossal letdown. We needed a proper Switch Pro with better specs, instead we get this giant nothing burger. And the cherry on top of the crap cake? They are charging $350 for it when it should be replacing the current model at $300.

burninmylight said:

This is perfect.

-Those who don't care about less than an inch of extra screen space and an OLED screen (aka those who primarily played docked like me) aren't missing anything.
-You can already buy a LAN adapter for your Switch for super cheap. Heck, I'm using my Wii LAN adapter from almost 15 years ago.
-Unless you're committed to physical, you probably already have a MicroSD card or two, and 32 extra GB space is a bucket of water in the ocean in terms of space.

Basically, only those who play primarily handheld and just absolutely have to have an OLED screen will feel the need to upgrade. The rest of us can save our money for the real future software paywall in the form of the Switch 2 that is hopefully 2+ years away.

I guess I must be happy if they don't release any game I want to play in the next 6 months, so I can save money for whatever thing they are releasing 2 years away?

Same logic here

Around the Network

Heh, all of those leakers took us on one hell of a ride.  I don't think I can consider Bloomberg News a credible source anymore, at least not for gaming news. 

However, this does look like the kind of mid-gen upgrade Nintendo always gives with their handhelds.  They basically listen to feedback from customers and after a few years make some fine adjustments and maybe a couple of minor enhancements.  A better stand, more internal storage, wired LAN capability...those are things that people have been commenting on since 2017.  This is basically the Switch version of the new 3DS and not the Switch version of the PS4 Pro.  

I will probably get one (or more) of these models at some point, but there is no rush.  I like the ethernet port.  I am assuming that I could get 8-12 people in the same room to play Mario Kart together, but I've never looked into trying such a thing.

shikamaru317 said:

What a colossal letdown. We needed a proper Switch Pro with better specs, instead we get this giant nothing burger. And the cherry on top of the crap cake? They are charging $350 for it when it should be replacing the current model at $300.

Isn't it more exciting however to think that Switch 2 is maybe not too far away? 

This realy makes me think that "Switch 2" isn't too far away... perhaps 2023?

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

dan_banan said:

It looks really sleek! And that colour scheme looks really good together with Metroid Dread :)
And honestly happy that it seems to have the same hardware specs and to be fully backwards compatible. My biggest fear with all these Switch Pro rumours was being "forced" to double dip in order to play upcoming games.

Nobody was forced to buy a PS4 Pro or XBOX One X... just sayin'