By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

JRPGfan said:
TheTitaniumNub said:

Same specs as normal Switch, just a brighter screen, 64 gb of storage and better audio. From what I've been able to read. 

The better audio (speakers) is only if your gameing in handheld mode, and same with the screen.
If your docked, those things basically do nothing for you.

64 GB of storage is still pitiful.

In other words, Nintendo is just polishing up a turd. :o 

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Bandorr said:

Disaster of a trailer.
Slightly bigger screen.
Bigger stand (That I'm shocked anyone actually ever uses).
Better Audio
And Ethernet port.

That's it. No comparisons. No resolution. No performance.

Was I suppose to be impressed by the random games they showed? Did they look different? Without a before and after I can't actually tell if the games look any better.

Is it on Nintendo though? Publications and insiders hyped up a Pro model and we ate it. 

Don't know. Will have to trace the rumor chain.  Odds are there was time for Nintendo to step in and curb peoples expectations.

Even without the rumors though it is a bad trailer.  What was the point of showing the games on the TV if docking it changes nothing? Why say "better audio" if they just mean bigger speakers?

And a bigger stand? Really? Are people actually busting out their switch pulling out the stand and crowding around one playing it like that? Never seen that at all.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

And finally this is the big FAT middle finger shown by Nintendo to everyone including leakers so we can learn some lessons... but we never do.

OTBWY said:
JRPGfan said:

Where is the damn pro that was rumored?
This is just a new Screen + better speaker, and a lan port for the switch dock?

What? This feels like nintendo pulling a fast one on us.
You thought we were launching a new cool switch? ha.... heres same old switch, with a new screen!

Again, I don't understand this mentality. 

Someone somewhere probably connected OLED screens with Nintendo at some point and insiders started talking about a Pro model. It went on to live its own life probably. It's on us pretty much.

I think its unlikely it was just made up and snowballed, OLED doesn't equate to better specs and the rumours were actually quite specific and lots of reputable sources touched on it. Eurogamer had their own sources which makes me imagine it was something happening/being prototyped behind the scenes but plans changed. At one point MS was playing with giving Xbox One X a new CPU but it was too expensive.

I agree though, its on us if we believe rumours will be 100% accurate. Even if they are true at the time of reporting it doesn't mean the company isn't floating various options at that point or that the info isn't outdated.

Last edited by Otter - on 06 July 2021

Manlytears said:

So... what are the chances of Nintendo making 2 releases of Hardware, Switch Oled and the supposed "Switch pro"? I believe it is very low...
A little disappointing, some people were putting a lot of hype on the supposed "switch pro", some even talking nonsense like DLSS making "switch pro" perform comparable to Series S...

Almost none especially since they are releasing this at the $350 price tag. Kind if doubt they would go to $400 on a switch model 

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network
Otter said:

I imagine the specs are maybe slightly improved but not a marketing point. I could see games with dynamic resolution or an unstable frame rate holding better performance or more reliably hitting their upper bounds. The dock looks fat so I'm curious what its hiding

The dock has always been fat on the back, so I don't really think it looks too different.

I guess that this ended up being more of a Swith XL than a Switch Pro.

I'm guessing the DLSS upscaled 4K might be for their next system then, though I suppose it could also be another mid-gen upgrade if Nintendo is planning a very long lifespan for the Switch. It's pretty hard to see what their hardware plans are from here on out.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2021 predictions:

• Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

JRPGfan said:
TheTitaniumNub said:

Same specs as normal Switch, just a brighter screen, 64 gb of storage and better audio. From what I've been able to read. 

The better audio (speakers) is only if your gameing in handheld mode, and same with the screen.
If your docked, those things basically do nothing for you.

64 GB of storage is still pitiful.

Unlike the new consoles, this doesn't mean anything. I have a 512gb micro SD card and over 250 titles (about half digital) on my Switch and it is nowhere near full. You do can really well with a smaller gb micro SD for a very low price instead of expensive or proprietary SSD addons.

Last edited by OTBWY - on 06 July 2021

So it just seems to be the equivalent of a 3DS XL, right? Other than a couple of QoL features, it seems it still has the same insides as the original Switch.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Over a year ago (from memory) when talk about 'New Switch Pro' or other new models was becoming more regular, I remember posting that I can't see any point for Nintendo to do a serious mid-gen upgrade, and that any further models would just be revisions to the form factor and I wouldn't bother following any rumours henceforth.

How many people continued hanging on all the leaks and other BS over all that time, making a big deal out of every little nugget, to the point where many began talking about 'New Switch Pro (4k)' like it was already a done deal.

This is no different from the environment of 'Nintendo NX' rumour-mongering up to the point of the Switch reveal which had a mild reception-- people saying it was competing with tablets and smart phones, too expensive, too weak etc. etc. --and yet Nintendo Switch has become a sales phenomenon in spite of it all.

Yet here we were again, with people pushing their expectations onto Nintendo, believing the only logical thing was for Nintendo to have some 4k model to help 'catch up' with the competition. And here we are again, with people being the architects of their own disappointment. Yet this product will probably sell very well and achieve what Nintendo is hoping for, not that they needed help with Switch already dominating the market.

Very meh imo

50 USD for a bit more storage is not worth it even for people who doesn't have a Switch, better just buy a SSD card with more storage