By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - HOT: "Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut" for PS5/PS4 in August!!

I can't wait this game is fantastic.

Around the Network

Got my copy pre-ordered...kinda. I did the Expansion pre-order to my digital version/copy, and will do the Ps5 version of the Director's cut when it comes out (I can't seem to get it now).

I do think the way they're doing this is weird as hell and more confusing than it needs to be, but I really don't think the price is at all a problem. A reality I've been expressing since the beginning of this generation. I just don't see the hike in price for Ps5 games is a problem. Like, at all. I DO have a problem with recurrent user spending and all that shit, but not a standardized price hike for newer content and material. Again, I do think the weird 'if you have it on Ps4, you gotta pay for the expansion AND the Upgrade' shit is weird and confusing, but I'm happy to pay it, especially for a game as good as this. I only played a few hours before this news came out and holy hell, it was a fun, well-crafted game! Happy to toss some dollaroons to Sucker Punch.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Is it true you can't upgrade if you have a physical copy?

Bristow9091 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is it true you can't upgrade if you have a physical copy?

Where did you hear that? It's not true at all...

Thank you, I got a physical copy and never used it. If it was true I couldn't upgrade I was going to try to resell it and buy digitally and just then upgrade

Kyuu said:
EricHiggin said:

I can't believe the people complaining about the pricing of this DLC and next gen upgrades. It's not ridiculous by any means, unless the content and effort come up short, which after GOT, and Legends (which was free btw), doesn't seem likely. This is PS Studios we're talking about here.

If you believe the pricing is too much, prior to having enough info, then you're clearly not faithful, and perhaps may have, no honor...

Sony's pricing policies are stupid and bound to stir shit up. They're underestimating the entitlement of modern gamers, and the value propositions offerred on Xbox.

Paying $20, $30, $40 or even $50 (Miles Morales) for an expansion+enhancements isn't the main problem. The problem is having to pay an extra $10 for the PS5 version (which is "anticonsumer" compared to what MS is doing). Since GoT PS4 to GoT DC PS4 only costs $20, a good part of the community already ruled out the actual value of the expansion+enhancements being anything more than $20.

Sony should have gone with $30 DC upgrade fee on both platforms, coz then no one would have made a premature assumption that it's too light on content to warrant $30 or more.

This could well be a case of PS4 version being underpriced than PS5 version overpriced. After all, this is from the same developer that gave us a decent multiplayer DLC they didn't promise for free.

Some are underestimating the quality, value, and momentum of PS and it's first party. Entitlement doesn't and shouldn't mean gimme gimme always gets because that eventually leads to a severe case of disappointment.

So you're saying SNY should have charged $30 for the PS4 version as well and just said, 'you get a free PS5 upgrade with it, and for those who don't want to pay for that, you're stuck paying $30 regardless'? At least this way a PS4 copy can only be $20 and you can save $10 by not buying the PS5 upgrade.

Perhaps SNY should have just offered the $499 PS5 model and that's it? Aren't more options a good thing? MS seems to think so when it comes to XB. I wonder how free Infinite MP will end up over its lifetime? Must be entirely free, start to finish, or that would be 'anti-consumer' wouldn't it? 

I'd guess if SNY were to do it again, they'd charge $20 for the Legends DLC, assuming it had to be first, then give the expansion away free afterwards. That likely would have gone over smoother. Best option probably would have been to have the DLC ready when Legends was, charge the same way as they are now, then have Legends launching soon for free.

People are going to complain regardless. Hopefully this doesn't put SP and SNY off from offering extra's down the road. A game as great and worthy as GOT totally deserves the extra treatment its getting.

eva01beserk said:
WoodenPints said:

I don't think anyone is moaning about the price of the DLC it's fairly standard in the pricing and expected the problem is the majority of companies are giving away free PS4>PS5 upgrades even the likes of EA and Ubisoft are doing this which people constantly trash for been greedy and anti-consumer. Sony didn't need to charge for this as people would of got a shiny new PS5 and want to revisit GoT and buy the expansion anyway without milking another $10 for some extra features.

Did you see what thouse other companies do? All they do is unlock the framerate to 60 and some games add native 4k. Thats not work at all. And ghost added that same supprt a few months back also for free. Thats not whats being added here. You are getting some actual work done on cinematic voice over and other shit. 

How many people are going to the trouble today, of finding a PS5, paying for its 'oh so cheap price', any extra hardware accessories, games, some being $70 first party, then sitting back and thinking, $10 extra for the GOT PS5 upgrade is a total deal breaker, screw PS5? I'd have to guess, very, very few.

EA, Ubi, Acti, are all terrible examples of 'consumer friendly' companies. Notice how most of the big companies that are starting to give content away, are who have been taking every dime they can get for the last decade and now have to pay the piper? That or they screwed up big time like MS with XB1 and are now trying to build their brands back up with free content. 

Hopefully SNY doesn't just decide to make whatever title they can by a reasonable deadline and stop with extra's entirely. Whatever doesn't make the final deadline, scrap it and move on. Enough 'gimme gimme' complaints will likely lead to that.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

Some are underestimating the quality, value, and momentum of PS and it's first party. Entitlement doesn't and shouldn't mean gimme gimme always gets because that eventually leads to a severe case of disappointment.

So you're saying SNY should have charged $30 for the PS4 version as well and just said, 'you get a free PS5 upgrade with it, and for those who don't want to pay for that, you're stuck paying $30 regardless'? At least this way a PS4 copy can only be $20 and you can save $10 by not buying the PS5 upgrade.

Perhaps SNY should have just offered the $499 PS5 model and that's it? Aren't more options a good thing? MS seems to think so when it comes to XB. I wonder how free Infinite MP will end up over its lifetime? Must be entirely free, start to finish, or that would be 'anti-consumer' wouldn't it? 

I'd guess if SNY were to do it again, they'd charge $20 for the Legends DLC, assuming it had to be first, then give the expansion away free afterwards. That likely would have gone over smoother. Best option probably would have been to have the DLC ready when Legends was, charge the same way as they are now, then have Legends launching soon for free.

People are going to complain regardless. Hopefully this doesn't put SP and SNY off from offering extra's down the road. A game as great and worthy as GOT totally deserves the extra treatment its getting.

How many people are going to the trouble today, of finding a PS5, paying for its 'oh so cheap price', any extra hardware accessories, games, some being $70 first party, then sitting back and thinking, $10 extra for the GOT PS5 upgrade is a total deal breaker, screw PS5? I'd have to guess, very, very few.

EA, Ubi, Acti, are all terrible examples of 'consumer friendly' companies. Notice how most of the big companies that are starting to give content away, are who have been taking every dime they can get for the last decade and now have to pay the piper? That or they screwed up big time like MS with XB1 and are now trying to build their brands back up with free content. 

Hopefully SNY doesn't just decide to make whatever title they can by a reasonable deadline and stop with extra's entirely. Whatever doesn't make the final deadline, scrap it and move on. Enough 'gimme gimme' complaints will likely lead to that.

I don't think anyone is doubting that it will sell, literally the same as Nintendo selling Skyward Sword HD for $60 and making Mario All Stars Collection a limited run release. People being annoyed is simply an expressing of personal displeassure at the dea/practice  being offered, its not them saying something is going to flop.

As for the value proposition itself. locking Japanese lip sync behind the PS5 version is kinda weird, japanese and english lipsync has been part and parcel of big Japanese games for a while (FF), I get that this is not an actually Japanese developed game but the point is that its not some next gen feature people expect to pay for. As far as the rest of the value of the PS5 version we have to see more but it currently looks like the same PS4 game with very minor tweaks and in no way different from any other cross gen game we've seen with free upgrades like Final Fantasy VIIR, Doom, No Mans Sky amongst many others all featuring new lighting, textures, environment density etc. If there were major differences I'm sure the trailer would of highlighted them but it pin points resolution/fps only.

The actual gameplay contents of the  DLC may be amazing... It may be worth $40, in which case charge $40. Again the distaste is regarding the next gen upgrade which looks in line with what people have been receiving for free.

As far your last argument conflating unfinished games with people asking for free upgrades, there's no correlation so I wouldn't worry about it. Sony has literally delayed almost every major release of the last decade to deliver that extra polish. They didn't increase the price per delay, they also understand the reason for the delay is to ensure that quality that has made their 1st party titles such mega hits as of late. Across the board upgrades and PS5 SKUs lead to increased sales of older games. Crash re-entered the charts based on PS5 version dispite their being a free upgrade. So its not like there isn't financial incentive deliver these extras and be the same company that garnered so much respect during the PS4 era.

This is really only a cross gen pricing topic which will be short lived. With the next cross-gen games on the way (Horizon. GOW, GT), the generational leap will at least be large enough that many who are complaining now won't have issue as they will be looking at actual games built around PS5 hardware.

Last edited by Otter - on 05 July 2021

Runa216 said:

Got my copy pre-ordered...kinda. I did the Expansion pre-order to my digital version/copy, and will do the Ps5 version of the Director's cut when it comes out (I can't seem to get it now).

I do think the way they're doing this is weird as hell and more confusing than it needs to be, but I really don't think the price is at all a problem. A reality I've been expressing since the beginning of this generation. I just don't see the hike in price for Ps5 games is a problem. Like, at all. I DO have a problem with recurrent user spending and all that shit, but not a standardized price hike for newer content and material. Again, I do think the weird 'if you have it on Ps4, you gotta pay for the expansion AND the Upgrade' shit is weird and confusing, but I'm happy to pay it, especially for a game as good as this. I only played a few hours before this news came out and holy hell, it was a fun, well-crafted game! Happy to toss some dollaroons to Sucker Punch.

It's a typical case of give them one finger (BC) an they want the whole hand. If you like the game enough to want to play it again, why have a problem in supporting the dev a bit more.

It is indeed confusing although Eurogamer laid it out quite easy to understand in their clickbait ariticle

If you want the PS4 upgrade from the OG Ghost of Tsushima to the Director's Cut, that costs £15.99. That's the PS4 to PS4 upgrade.

If you already own Ghost of Tsushima on PS4, you can upgrade to Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS5 for £24.99. That's the PS4 to PS5 upgrade.

But what if you already own Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS4, and you want to upgrade to Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS5, perhaps down the line when you manage to buy one of the hard-to-get consoles? That'll cost you £9.

So they charge 9 pounds for extra features, those that required work, and you get the choice whether you want to spend the extra 9 pounds or not or later. Compared to last gen where your only option was to double dip on a directors cut or a remastered version, doesn't seem so bad. And you can always just play the base version through BC or 'gasp' on the ps4 that the game was made and bought for. If you don't like the game enough to spend more on it, then don't.

Anyway I'll be ordering the director's cut physical edition when it becomes available, add it to my ps5 backlog lol. Still not available. Need more outrage so ps5 consoles might actually reach a shelf some time!

SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

It's a typical case of give them one finger (BC) an they want the whole hand. If you like the game enough to want to play it again, why have a problem in supporting the dev a bit more.

It is indeed confusing although Eurogamer laid it out quite easy to understand in their clickbait ariticle

If you want the PS4 upgrade from the OG Ghost of Tsushima to the Director's Cut, that costs £15.99. That's the PS4 to PS4 upgrade.

If you already own Ghost of Tsushima on PS4, you can upgrade to Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS5 for £24.99. That's the PS4 to PS5 upgrade.

But what if you already own Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS4, and you want to upgrade to Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS5, perhaps down the line when you manage to buy one of the hard-to-get consoles? That'll cost you £9.

So they charge 9 pounds for extra features, those that required work, and you get the choice whether you want to spend the extra 9 pounds or not or later. Compared to last gen where your only option was to double dip on a directors cut or a remastered version, doesn't seem so bad. And you can always just play the base version through BC or 'gasp' on the ps4 that the game was made and bought for. If you don't like the game enough to spend more on it, then don't.

Anyway I'll be ordering the director's cut physical edition when it becomes available, add it to my ps5 backlog lol. Still not available. Need more outrage so ps5 consoles might actually reach a shelf some time!

Right? Like, it's not rocket science. the game already functions stunningly well on PS5 thanks to the patches and upgrade options. Nobody's missing out, you pay 10 bucks to get the enhanced performance, which I think is really fair and straightforward! 

Couldn't upgrade to the Ps5 version, though. I got the PS4 upgrade to the Director's Cut version, there are no options to upgrade to PS5 version yet, at least not that I can see. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The $20 DLC is fine, it's the $10 fee to upgrade your game that's the issue. Like if other companies can offer free upgrades and even Sony have done this with Spider-Man and Sackboy, then why can't they do it to this?
What baffles me is if you own the game you should be able to get the next generation version for free. Like you already paid your "fee" buy buying the next generation system. Haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, etc are apart of the system's features and yet it's being locked away from you until you pay more money. That's like if on PC you buy a new GPU or any PC part, or getting a new PC then paying to upgrade your games to take advantage of your new hardware. Also $70 sucks, if these companies try this on PC they would see backlash and loss of sales.

Sogreblute said:

The $20 DLC is fine, it's the $10 fee to upgrade your game that's the issue. Like if other companies can offer free upgrades and even Sony have done this with Spider-Man and Sackboy, then why can't they do it to this?
What baffles me is if you own the game you should be able to get the next generation version for free. Like you already paid your "fee" buy buying the next generation system. Haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, etc are apart of the system's features and yet it's being locked away from you until you pay more money. That's like if on PC you buy a new GPU or any PC part, or getting a new PC then paying to upgrade your games to take advantage of your new hardware. Also $70 sucks, if these companies try this on PC they would see backlash and loss of sales.

Why? In what industry is that a standard? I paid for movies on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Super-bit, Blu-ray, director's cuts. Why do they keep charging me since already paid my "fee' in the 80s. Why do I need to pay Netflix extra to see the same stuff in 4K instead of 1080p.

Haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, etc don't simply work on their own. FH4 doesn't work with a DS4 either, I had to buy a 360 controller, outrage! Why doesn't every game on PC support VR automatically when you by a headset!

I paid CAD 160 for FS2020 ($120) for a beta version basically, so that $70 price point is pretty generous in comparison. It sold pretty well.

What baffles me is that people continue to complain about companies charging money for optional features. You bought a game for PS4, it's complete and uses all features of the PS4. Why would that entitle you to a free upgrade to a different system with extra newly added features?