By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

Jumpin said:

That’s OK with me. I hate the AAA industry, by that I mean those formulaic play it safe trunk’n’branch games that are pushed through the factory pipeline of like 700 devs and 1800 producer sorts, where many people are simply on the payroll because of their commodified passion... “Give me a raise and I’ll give you 20% louder happyface!”

Can you give examples?

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Jumpin said:

That’s OK with me. I hate the AAA industry, by that I mean those formulaic play it safe trunk’n’branch games that are pushed through the factory pipeline of like 700 devs and 1800 producer sorts, where many people are simply on the payroll because of their commodified passion... “Give me a raise and I’ll give you 20% louder happyface!”

Can you give examples?

FIFA

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

bowserthedog said:
Jranation said:

What does that mean? Do people think the Switch Pro will get exclusive games and just forget about the 80million (soon to be 100 million)? 

The same type of games that are coming to Switch now will still come to Switch OG.  But more demanding ports will only come to the pro.  Games that wouldn't have run well enough on Switch OG.  So Switch OG won't lose any support. 

How many exclusive games did the PS4 Pro and X1X get?

If you're referring to third-party support not being killed in this initial period of PS5 and Xbox Series, you're right. And people seriously pushing that idea were supporting a ridiculous notion. And at this point, Switch doesn't even need significant third-party support anyway to keep selling (indies, AAA or otherwise). It ultimately rides or dies on first-party support.
But I do think some of the higher spec third-party support from Switch is going to die off completely quite soon. That is unless Nintendo release a mid-gen refresh that lets some third-party games only run on the new model. Microsoft and Sony didn't pull that approach, but Nintendo did with the DSi and New 3DS.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

There are so many factors that was pretty obvious that make this claim very unlikely.

- The 80+ million Switch units sold wouldn"t dissapear when Sony and MS caught up to Nintendo in the 9th gen. The number of consoles sold is too attractive to any publisher, even if the other 9th gen system came out swinging out of the gate.

- Game development take anywhere from 3 to 5 years. Even ports take a good 1 year or 1 year and a half. If the support were to dry up, it would happen later this year or even next year.

- Nintendo is providing something differemt, as usual, on top of already being a known quantity(the platform is a sucess). So it's safer to bet on the Switch, for now at least.

- As sales numbers shows, third party are finding more and more success on the system, which is different compared to most Nintendo home consoles, so the data suggests that, even if you don"t go all in, it is wise to have something released on it, while you also develop for the other systems.

Last edited by Nautilus - on 09 March 2021

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Jumpin said:

Can you give examples?

Honestly, I feel about that for about 95% of Ubisoft output, with very rare exceptions like Mario +Rabbids.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Hynad said:
Jumpin said:

Can you give examples?

As people have mentioned, Ubisoft games, EA (Sports especially) games, and Activision. I don’t know if it’s fair to throw Square into this bunch, but they are definitely doing something similar (since FF13).

The type of game where the devs keep building a trunk, then split branches off the trunk into separate products released in relatively rapid succession. I find these games to be soulless and reeking of the stench of an industrial pipeline.

I don’t necessarily think trunking and branching is a terrible practice in itself, it can be efficient - and often indie and other devs still have a ton of great ideas that don’t necessarily fit into the original game, but could fit into another game that doesn’t need to be built from the ground up: Majora’s Mask and Mario Galaxy 2 are great examples of this; I think indie devs will provide many more examples.

What turns me off is when the games are so clearly developed to cater toward marketability and fitting a schedule of production rather than any kind of artistic drive. Games designed by a committee of lawyers, market researchers, accountants, and producers rather than artists.

There’s a big place for these types of games though. Many have objectively blockbuster quality components, and that appeals to a lot of people; it’s a viable business model. It’s just not something that particularly interests me, and I’d guess that goes for a lot of the NES/SNES/handheld/Wii/Switch style Nintendo fans, but maybe not necessarily the N64/Cube/Wii U “Can we have a PSToo?” side of the Nintendo fanbase.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Hynad said:

Can you give examples?

As people have mentioned, Ubisoft games, EA (Sports especially) games, and Activision. I don’t know if it’s fair to throw Square into this bunch, but they are definitely doing something similar (since FF13).

The type of game where the devs keep building a trunk, then split branches off the trunk into separate products released in relatively rapid succession. I find these games to be soulless and reeking of the stench of an industrial pipeline.

I don’t necessarily think trunking and branching is a terrible practice in itself, it can be efficient - and often indie and other devs still have a ton of great ideas that don’t necessarily fit into the original game, but could fit into another game that doesn’t need to be built from the ground up: Majora’s Mask and Mario Galaxy 2 are great examples of this; I think indie devs will provide many more examples.

What turns me off is when the games are so clearly developed to cater toward marketability and fitting a schedule of production rather than any kind of artistic drive. Games designed by a committee of lawyers, market researchers, accountants, and producers rather than artists.

There’s a big place for these types of games though. Many have objectively blockbuster quality components, and that appeals to a lot of people; it’s a viable business model. It’s just not something that particularly interests me, and I’d guess that goes for a lot of the NES/SNES/handheld/Wii/Switch style Nintendo fans, but maybe not necessarily the N64/Cube/Wii U “Can we have a PSToo?” side of the Nintendo fanbase.

Square-Enix is certainly not among those.

You mentioned FFXIII, and while that game and its sequels weren’t the company’s most glorious era, they have been doing much better in recent times. Both with from the ground up remakes and new games.

Nier: Automata
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn and its expansions
Trial of Mana remake
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Builder 1-2
Lost Sphear
Oninaki

And the list goes on. Regardless of reception, those games aren’t made in the manner you described and have artistic integrity at least much more than the yearly by the book releases you mentioned.

Personally, I don't have an issue with AAA games, in fact I've enjoyed a great many of them, including the likes of Doom 2016/Eternal and Witcher 3 on Switch.

That said, I can count the number I own on Switch on one hand, so I don't feel it'll be a huge loss once 9th gen AAA games can't be ported. Like most Switch owners, the vast majority of my collection is lower budget third party games and first/second party exclusives.

lol Switch never had 3rd party support to begin with. 9/10 of the newest big titled games dont come out on the platform.