By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

Metallox said:
Shiken said:

Time will tell, but given how aggressive Sony is with 3rd party exclusives, I can see MS hitting back. More people coming to gamepass on XBox or PC will mean more to MS than extra sales on PS afterall.

I think Microsoft wanted the deal to have Bethesda games first on Gamepass, then letting them release in other platforms a few months later. That's how I imagine how restrictive Micro could become at most, anything more than that seems too much. I could be totally wrong, though. 

Bold: you mean a few years later.

Around the Network

At the end of the day money talks. And I'm sure many devs are seeing dollar signs at this point, gap in horsepower be damned.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Microsoft has already recovered all the money they spent on Zenimax in the last three months, they bought the company to make content exclusive to Xbox, obviously. If they wanted Game Pass deals they could have had Game Pass deals and without having to spend even close to 7.5 billion USD.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Metallox said:

I think Microsoft wanted the deal to have Bethesda games first on Gamepass, then letting them release in other platforms a few months later. That's how I imagine how restrictive Micro could become at most, anything more than that seems too much. I could be totally wrong, though. 

Bold: you mean a few years later.

Probably 999999999999 years later, yes.

shikamaru317 said:

We’re still in the cross-gen period, not next gen. I’ll be shocked if Switch gets ports of any games that are designed from the ground up for PC/PS5/Xbox Series. Not only is there a huge discrepancy in CPU, GPU, and RAM, but Switch has very slow storage compared to the NVMe SSD’s of PS5, Xbox Series, and modern gaming PC’s. Nintendo will definitely need to release Switch 2 once the truly next gen period starts, if they want to keep getting AA/AAA support from the west, though some JP devs will still support it since Switch is selling so well in Japan.

But does it matter?

See, first of all it will be quite some time if we see games designed from ground up for PC/PS5/Xbox Series. That is because the userbase is still small and companies wantto make money, so they target the much bigger userbase of PS4 and Xbox One too. The new platforms need to grow a few years, before they see this big games designed for them. We will see smaller experiments, 1st party and bought exclusives, and the last two wouldn't hit Switch for reasons beyond technic.

And the second is: Switch already misses out on all the CODs and Battlefields and whatnot. Let's look at the NPD charts for 2020:

The games that aren't first party (and therefore wouldn't be ported anyway) are:

• CoD: Black Ops: Cold War
  • CoD: Modern Warfare
  • Madden NFL 21
  • Assassins Creed Valhalla
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • NBA 2K21
  • FIFA 21
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Of these 12 games, only 3 are on Switch (NBA 2K21, FIFA 21, Mortal Kombat 11) and Tony Hawks is announced as a late port. Still Switch is selling gangbusters. So I am not convinced, that missing out on those games designed from ground up for PS5 and Xbox Series is actually that important for the performance of the Switch and the third party support it actually gets. Probably these shiny Triple-A experiences aren't what Switch owners go after.

Switch will maintain support of the sport games (these are supported on old platforms a long time), of japanese companies (because quite frankly, not supporting Switch as a japanese dev is basically a death sentence), indies, games designed from ground up for Switch and ports of old classics. So I think 3rd-party support for Switch stays fine for the foreseeable future, new consoles or not.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

To be fair, the sales of the new systems have been bottlenecked so hard they might as well not be there. So it's going to take a while until they get enough users to threaten the Switch's marketshare.

The current sales are in line with their respective predecessors.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Pemalite said:
bowserthedog said:

Im not basing this based on views..  Im basing it on the leaks on Resetera from validated insiders as well as the Nintendo President's recent comments about how times have changed and they no longer view things in terms of fun not being associated with powerful hardware. 

You opened your statement with "I view the Switch Pro".

Thus anything after that to me just says personal opinion.

Resetera leaks are leaks... And like all leaks, should also be taken with a leaky grain of salt until it's confirmed.. Because for every accurate leak, we get several inaccurate ones as game development, console development can and will change as market and technology changes.

That I mean by "view" is that when I looked at what Nintendo is saying and the information that is being leaked out by verified leakers I view the Switch Pro a certain way. So partially yes Im taking a view.  But my view isn't dictating what the system will be. My view is based on what the information suggests the system will be. 

Mnementh said:
Darwinianevolution said:

To be fair, the sales of the new systems have been bottlenecked so hard they might as well not be there. So it's going to take a while until they get enough users to threaten the Switch's marketshare.

The current sales are in line with their respective predecessors.

Yeah..  So if their sales are only in line with their predecessors Nintendo will dominate because switch is out pacing PS4 based on the same amount of time on market. And with Switch Pro on the horizon and so many good games coming out in the future the Switch will have longer legs than PS4. 

As this year's lineup shows, there's still plenty of content on PS4/Xbone that could potentially come to Switch but hasn't yet, plus new games still coming to those systems, and there's plenty of studios by now with experience in porting 8th gen games to Switch.

Between Nintendo only gamers and multi-system owners who never got around to them or would double dip for portability, there's a significant market for those to continue coming over.

Switch will also probably remain the baseline for most indies and Japanese non-AAA games for years to come.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 March 2021

That’s OK with me. I hate the AAA industry, by that I mean those formulaic play it safe trunk’n’branch games that are pushed through the factory pipeline of like 700 devs and 1800 producer sorts, where many people are simply on the payroll because of their commodified passion... “Give me a raise and I’ll give you 20% louder happyface!”

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.