By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch outsells all other consoles combined in 2020 (US)

Tagged games:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/total-result-of-us-2020-hardware-has-been-revealed-switch-ps5-xsx-ps4-and-xbo.1587510/

Saw this on GAF, apparently from Reeeeeesetera.

December 2020
Switch: ~2.1m
PS5: ~0.8m
XS: ~0.7m

November 2020
Switch: 1,36m
PS5: 1.14m
XS: ~0.8m

2020 Total hardware Result
Nintendo Switch - 9042K
Playstation 5 - 1940K
Xbox Series X/S - 1500K
Playstation 4 - 1890K(Nov and Dec data not available)
Xbox ONE - 1282K(Nov and Dec data not available)

LTD
Playstation 4: ~34.12M(7 years and 2 months)
Xbox ONE: ~28.79M(7 years and 2 months)
Nintendo Switch: ~26.03M(3 years and 10 months)
Playstation 4: ~1.94M(2 months)
Xbox Series X/S: ~1.5M(2 months)

Nintendo dominating. Lock if old

Around the Network

Switch is close to beat the Xbox One in it's home market, as it already did with PS4 in it's home market.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Still pretty sad Gen 8 had zero 40 million seller, when Gen 7 had 3.

Now depending on where you put the switch that might change, but till that time. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 21 January 2021

Assuming this is right then the Xbox Series seems to be a bit undertracked for the US on here. The PS5 is pretty much on point.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Mnementh said:

Switch is close to beat the Xbox One in it's home market, as it already did with PS4 in it's home market.

If only Europe didn't exist lol. JK.

I don't get how, as a whole, a continent could ignore a system so much that is immensely popular in NA and Asia. I know certain countries it does decent in like France, but how is the system this unappealing to Eastern Europe specifically? Are they THAT graphics obsessed over there or something else?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Mnementh said:

I don't get how, as a whole, a continent could ignore a system so much that is immensely popular in NA and Asia. I know certain countries it does decent in like France, but how is the system this unappealing to Eastern Europe specifically? Are they THAT graphics obsessed over there or something else?

Are you referring to Switch?

So if Nintendo has another year like 2021 they will outsell the current PS4 numbers in the US. In half the time. That's crazy.

Nintendo taking over! They proved everyone wrong!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Ka-pi96 said:
Dulfite said:

Why are you pretending Europe "ignores" the Switch? It may not sell as much as the PS4 there, but it still sells a lot. It certainly isn't "ignored".

Also, why do you think it's unappealing in eastern Europe? Can't say I've ever actually seen sales figures for eastern Europe. Although from what I've heard eastern Europe is predominantly PC focused anyway.

Let's compare WiiU/Switch/XBOXO/PS4 in NA, Japan, and Europe for market share. Because the Switch is only halfway through its life (whereas the PS4 and Xbox One are basically done), I'm combining the Wii U with Switch for the purpose of fairness since Switch hasn't been out as long. Honestly, when the Switch HAS finished, the numbers will be far higher than the amount Wii U added anyway.

According to the charts, the above have sold 104.9 million units in NA this generation. Switch + Wii U sold 35.13 million so far, or 33% market share. PS4 got 36%, and Xbox One got 30%. More or less a tie here, although Switch will be probably at or near 40% when it's all said and done. Switch clearly not ignored here.

In Japan the above sold 30.47 million units so far. Switch + Wii U got 69% of the market share. Switch dominating here.

In Europe the above sold 84.07 million units so far. Switch + Wii U got 28% of the market share. PS4 got 57% of the market share.

Now, back to your first comment. I didn't say the entire continent ignores it, I said as a whole (or on average, collectively). I even included France in there and alluded to other countries where it does sell well.

Regarding Eastern Europe, I have seen people post on this site how badly Nintendo has sold historically in Eastern European countries and how much PlayStation sells there. From my understanding, it is Eastern Europe that causes Europe to overall always show Sony domination and I don't really understand why that is. I don't know if it is because of graphics, because of wanting only hardcore intense games over there, or because Nintendo PR screwed up decades ago over there, I have no clue and that's all I was curious about in my OP.

Dulfite said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Why are you pretending Europe "ignores" the Switch? It may not sell as much as the PS4 there, but it still sells a lot. It certainly isn't "ignored".

Also, why do you think it's unappealing in eastern Europe? Can't say I've ever actually seen sales figures for eastern Europe. Although from what I've heard eastern Europe is predominantly PC focused anyway.

Let's compare WiiU/Switch/XBOXO/PS4 in NA, Japan, and Europe for market share. Because the Switch is only halfway through its life (whereas the PS4 and Xbox One are basically done), I'm combining the Wii U with Switch for the purpose of fairness since Switch hasn't been out as long. Honestly, when the Switch HAS finished, the numbers will be far higher than the amount Wii U added anyway.

According to the charts, the above have sold 104.9 million units in NA this generation. Switch + Wii U sold 35.13 million so far, or 33% market share. PS4 got 36%, and Xbox One got 30%. More or less a tie here, although Switch will be probably at or near 40% when it's all said and done. Switch clearly not ignored here.

In Japan the above sold 30.47 million units so far. Switch + Wii U got 69% of the market share. Switch dominating here.

In Europe the above sold 84.07 million units so far. Switch + Wii U got 28% of the market share. PS4 got 57% of the market share.

Now, back to your first comment. I didn't say the entire continent ignores it, I said as a whole (or on average, collectively). I even included France in there and alluded to other countries where it does sell well.

Regarding Eastern Europe, I have seen people post on this site how badly Nintendo has sold historically in Eastern European countries and how much PlayStation sells there. From my understanding, it is Eastern Europe that causes Europe to overall always show Sony domination and I don't really understand why that is. I don't know if it is because of graphics, because of wanting only hardcore intense games over there, or because Nintendo PR screwed up decades ago over there, I have no clue and that's all I was curious about in my OP.

Guess it's the same reason why Nintendo is mostly irrelevant in Latin America, they never made any effort to increase their brand here. Nintendo sells a lot based on nostalgia, if you weren't raised with Nintendo IPs games that evokes nostalgia becomes empty and meaningless 

The only Nintendo home console to ever sell more than 8 million copies in Europe was the Wii. In many markets Nintendo is a company to buy handhelds. This is so true that in Europe Nintendo handhelds always performed better than Sony's with the PSP barely outselling GBA and 3DS and being destroyed by DS and GB/GBC. I won't even talk about Vita

Brand loyalty is a thing people often ignores when it comes to buying hardware. Xbox and Playstation library are 90% the same, Xbox is often less expensive and even has GP, yet PS3 outsold 360 by almost 10 million and PS4 decimate XBone, why? Many reasons, but brand loyalty plays a big role here

Point is, Sony invested to sell Playstation in every market they could while Nintendo only focused in Japan, Western Europe and North America that's why Sony is always going to have an edge over Nintendo in both Europe and ROW. Not saying Nintendo can't win there, it's just harder and that's rather deserved