By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch outsells all other consoles combined in 2020 (US)

Tagged games:

In USA and Japan it's matching or even surpassing past Wii domination.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Rab said:

Nintendo does terribly in New Zealand practically doesn't exist there, but Australia just next door is doing fine in regards to Nintendo, it's strange

Is that so? I wasn't aware, that's strange if true because Australia and New Zealand have a lot in common, except Australia has a larger population, though still small by global standards. I live in Aus and the Switch is everywhere here.

curl-6 said:
Rab said:

Nintendo does terribly in New Zealand practically doesn't exist there, but Australia just next door is doing fine in regards to Nintendo, it's strange

Is that so? I wasn't aware, that's strange if true because Australia and New Zealand have a lot in common, except Australia has a larger population, though still small by global standards. I live in Aus and the Switch is everywhere here.

fellow aussie here and despite it being a lot behind us and most large european countries, australia is definitely a LOT better than new zealand for nintendo yeah. i've been to new zealand a few times and never seen one in the wild. plus, on the era PAL charts there are weekly software charts for the two regions, and the difference is stark - often theres no nintendo games in the NZ chart.

curl-6 said:
Rab said:

Just have a look at the latest sales, it's like this every time, NZ never has a single Nintendo game in the top 10, Australia are all over Nintendo.. not sure what's going on with NZ

https://igea.net/ 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-3-2021-hitman-iiis-debut-17-vs-hitman-iis-in-uk-more-ps5s-on-english-shelves-and-more.367214/ 

Acevil said:

Still pretty sad Gen 8 had zero 40 million seller, when Gen 7 had 3.

Now depending on where you put the switch that might change, but till that time. 

I think that's partially because of bundles. Gen 8 software bundles tend to be digital-only. Bundles helped games like Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, and Mario Kart Wii sell so much.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
Acevil said:

Still pretty sad Gen 8 had zero 40 million seller, when Gen 7 had 3.

Now depending on where you put the switch that might change, but till that time. 

I think that's partially because of bundles. Gen 8 software bundles tend to be digital-only. Bundles helped games like Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, and Mario Kart Wii sell so much.

I was talking about hardware. Since this is hardware thread. Sorry for any confusion. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 25 January 2021

Rab said:
curl-6 said:

Just have a look at the latest sales, it's like this every time, NZ never has a single Nintendo game in the top 10, Australia are all over Nintendo.. not sure what's going on with NZ

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-3-2021-hitman-iiis-debut-17-vs-hitman-iis-in-uk-more-ps5s-on-english-shelves-and-more.367214/ 

As someone who lives in NZ the reason why Nintendo does terrible here is because Nintendo never really bothered promoting its products here like Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo marketing here is shockingly bad as a result it is just not cool to have a Nintendo product and also as Nintendo relies a lot on nostalgia, people aren't nostalgic for Nintendo cause they didn't grow up with it. Nintendo hasn't done well here since the SNES.

Sony dominates NZ though. NZ like parts of Europe is Sony land. 

Rab said:
curl-6 said:

Saruman rules NZ from his dark and tall tower, and, also to prevent his Uruk-Hai from becoming too childish, he decided that for his country he prefers a different kind of evil. 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I never realized NZ was so different from Australia in terms of which console brands sell most.
Maybe Nintendo overlook it because of it's small population, but then Aus isn't exactly crowded and they seem to do really well here.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Dulfite said:

If only Europe didn't exist lol. JK.

I don't get how, as a whole, a continent could ignore a system so much that is immensely popular in NA and Asia. I know certain countries it does decent in like France, but how is the system this unappealing to Eastern Europe specifically? Are they THAT graphics obsessed over there or something else?

Does Fifa ring any bells?

Not that it's the only reason, not by a longshot, but if the Switch would have had a full Fifa and not just a shoddy last gen port, it would already have done quite a bit better over there.

But certainly is an important reason, a lot of people i know including friends and family became obsessed with PS1, first because they got swindled by that  "PS in the only console with Adult games", but later they played nothing but PES and FIFA, they have got every single Playstation and while they play one or two games that come with it they always end up buying all the football soccer games they can, not that it is something bad, but a lot of the "hardcore gamers" here ended up doing that, they get PS because it is the latest cutting edge technology, only to end up playing nothing but FIFAS.

Last edited by foxmccloud64 - on 31 January 2021