By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch outsells all other consoles combined in 2020 (US)

Tagged games:

Switch is going to outsell XB1 LTD in 2021 and if it sell in 2021 nine or more million consoles like the previous year it will pass PS4 LTD by December 2021.

Looking at how much PS4 and XB1 slowed down it's fairly safe to conclude that PS4+XB1 are going to sell less than PS3+360 in US.

kopstudent89 said:

That is some stat... highest yearly numbers since 360?

The last time a console had yearly sales higher than 9 million units was in 2009 with both Nintendo DS and Wii.

Top 5 highest yearly console sales in US:

DS in 2009: ~11.2 million units

WII in 2008: ~10.3 million units

DS in 2008: ~10.0 million units

WII in 2009: ~9.6 million units

NSW in 2020: ~9.0 million units

The best yearly sales a Nintendo console ever achieved in US was DS in 2009 with around 11.2 million consoles sold.

The best yearly sales a PlayStation console ever achieved in US was PS2 in 2002 with around 8.4 million consoles sold.

The best yearly sales a Xbox console ever achieved in US was 360 in 2011 with around 7.3 million consoles sold.

The best yearly sales a Sega console ever achieved in US since 1995 was DC in 1999 with around 1.5 million consoles sold.

Last edited by Endymion - on 26 January 2021

Around the Network
foxmccloud64 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Does Fifa ring any bells?

Not that it's the only reason, not by a longshot, but if the Switch would have had a full Fifa and not just a shoddy last gen port, it would already have done quite a bit better over there.

But certainly is an important reason, a lot of people i know including friends and family became obsessed with PS1, first because they got swindled by that  "PS in the only console with Adult games", but later they played nothing but PES and FIFA, they have got every single Playstation and while they play one or two games that come with it they always end up buying all the football soccer games they can, not that it is something bad, but a lot of the "hardcore gamers" here ended up doing that they get PS because it is the latest cutting edge technology, only to end up playing nothing but FIFAS.

Yep, I know, hence why I mentioned it. But thanks for elaborating on the point ^^