By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch outsells all other consoles combined in 2020 (US)

Tagged games:

That is some stat... highest yearly numbers since 360?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Mnementh said:

Switch is close to beat the Xbox One in it's home market, as it already did with PS4 in it's home market.

If only Europe didn't exist lol. JK.

I don't get how, as a whole, a continent could ignore a system so much that is immensely popular in NA and Asia. I know certain countries it does decent in like France, but how is the system this unappealing to Eastern Europe specifically? Are they THAT graphics obsessed over there or something else?

Does Fifa ring any bells?

Not that it's the only reason, not by a longshot, but if the Switch would have had a full Fifa and not just a shoddy last gen port, it would already have done quite a bit better over there.

Dulfite said:
Mnementh said:

Switch is close to beat the Xbox One in it's home market, as it already did with PS4 in it's home market.

If only Europe didn't exist lol. JK.

I don't get how, as a whole, a continent could ignore a system so much that is immensely popular in NA and Asia. I know certain countries it does decent in like France, but how is the system this unappealing to Eastern Europe specifically? Are they THAT graphics obsessed over there or something else?

Give them time.  They will come around eventually.

Mar1217 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Guess it's the same reason why Nintendo is mostly irrelevant in Latin America, they never made any effort to increase their brand here. Nintendo sells a lot based on nostalgia, if you weren't raised with Nintendo IPs games that evokes nostalgia becomes empty and meaningless 

The only Nintendo home console to ever sell more than 8 million copies in Europe was the Wii. In many markets Nintendo is a company to buy handhelds. This is so true that in Europe Nintendo handhelds always performed better than Sony's with the PSP barely outselling GBA and 3DS and being destroyed by DS and GB/GBC. I won't even talk about Vita

Brand loyalty is a thing people often ignores when it comes to buying hardware. Xbox and Playstation library are 90% the same, Xbox is often less expensive and even has GP, yet PS3 outsold 360 by almost 10 million and PS4 decimate XBone, why? Many reasons, but brand loyalty plays a big role here

Point is, Sony invested to sell Playstation in every market they could while Nintendo only focused in Japan, Western Europe and North America that's why Sony is always going to have an edge over Nintendo in both Europe and ROW. Not saying Nintendo can't win there, it's just harder and that's rather deserved

I guess by ROW you especially mean the South American market cuz we've seen recently how the Switch has been a dominant force in the ROW because of their new fond ground in Asia.

Though don't worry I've seen the : "Not saying Nintendo can't win there, it's just harder and that's rather deserved"

To me this new found strengh is prolly what Nintendo needed to actually keep an edge on the ROW market. 

Yes, Switch had found a very big market in China, Soith Korea, Taiwan, etc. Which is partially explaining their big jump and is very likely to be their biggest system ever ROW. It's a matter of time and some regulation for China becomes one of the biggest gaming markets even for dedicated systems and Nintendo is pretty much running alone

As for LA, Nintendo current strength is the fact they has the only handheld option left in the market, but current price model isn't doing much here. Not that Nintendo cares, we are only 4% of WW gaming market pretty much the same size of Africa plus Middle West. The market growth for PC and consoles has been rather pale in the last 7 years while smartphone market is exploding, Nintendo should release mobile games if they want to promote their IPs here 

Has a single system selling over 2 million in a single month in NPD happened before?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Has a single system selling over 2 million in a single month in NPD happened before?

Multiple times yeah. The record is an insane 3.8 million by the Wii in December 2009.

curl-6 said:

GBA

PS2

NDS

Wii

NSW

Have all crossed 2M multiple times, all in December (except Nov 08 Wii).  NDS has crossed 3M twice as well (08 Dec and 09 Dec), Wii managed it once with 3.81M in Dec 09 (all time record).

To be expected really, there are so many PS4's out there and buyers would be waiting to kove onto next gen anyway. Still great to switch still selling so well in its 3rd year.

There's a lot of potential for the Switch in the US.

As of now, I think 40 million is the floor of where it can reach, it could get as high as 50 million. Only one system in history has cracked 50 million in the US alone, and that was the DS. The PS2 and 360 managed to pass 45 million. While the Wii passed 40 million.

So that's a grand total of 4 systems in the '40 Million US' club, 3 in the '45 million US' club, and just 1 in the '50 million' club. They may be getting some company.

Mnementh said:

SIE home market is the US.

Japan being PlayStation's home market didn't hold true for the past decade.