By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - USA: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series. PS5 breaks PS4's launch record

The fact the Wii U had a bigger launch than the 360 and PS2 shows just how useless launch sales are at determining long term sales. The only thing of note is the PS5 broke the record which is a good sign but that's it. Things are probably gonna get rowdier here for the next few months compared to the last few which will be fun.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Intrinsic said:

That's BS... not peaking to you directly but speaking to that narrative of MS waiting for "fullRDNA2".

MS has had their full final chipset since last year. Its like people forget that MS showed the teardown of their console before sony even showed the box of theirs. Or people don't realize that the case design is the absolute last thing any company does when making a console. This means that by TGA last year when the series X was revealed, MS had already built that conole.

When MS says they are waiting for fullRDNA2, what they are really saying in PR gloss, is "it's taken us longer than we expected moving romXDK to GDK and making GDK feature complete and identical to RDNA2 and we are still working on optimizing our dev kit/tools".

I mean Phil said it in an interview recently, that they had to wait until late Summer (I assume that means August) for their AMD chipsets so that they could finish their Xbox Series units. Supposedly PS5 was in production by late June I think. So it does make sense why Sony was able to get so much more stock ready for launch than MS. MS clearly weren't able to manufacture enough stock to meet demand, in spite of the fact that they saw their day one preorders sell out minutes way back in September. 

Phil also said he had a finished Series X in his house in early May. And they showed off the final unit in Dec of the previous year at the VGAs. So which is it? Were they ahead of Sony, like Xbox fans were saying late last year and early this year? Or are they behind them, which only started being the narrative when the 12 Tflops beast narrative didn't quite play out?

People seem to regularly forget Microsoft is more than XBox. They also do PC gaming.

the usual suspects are in here trying to spread fud again smh

Neither console launch was that impressive especially if you look at the fact that the switch dominated Black Friday sales by a wide margin.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
JRPGfan said:

PS5 2021:

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
God of War: Ragnarok
(potentially) Final Fantasy XVI
(potentially) Project Athia

(smaller stuff like DeathLoop, Destruction all stars, Ghostwire Tokyo)

Halo Infinity / Forza will be drowned out, by Playstation titles (in 2021).

Horizon: Forbidden West is also 2021

2021 is crazy stacked on PS5 side.... I forgot it, and still its so stacked, even without.

JRPGfan said:

The downplay, I mentioned, wasnt towards xbox series x+s sales.
But the way he congratulated sony on the PS5 sales.  You miss understood me.

smroadkill15 said:

Congrats to Sony for doing a better job at having more consoles manufactured.
This just means the Series X/S has had more of a supply constraint and with launching in 37 countries vs 13 for the X1, led to less consoles being sold in those 13 countries compared to X1, but more Series X consoles were sold worldwide compared to X1. If you look at the worldwide numbers sold at launch, Series X only sold about 100k-200k more than the X1 worldwide, so I felt like this was the obvious conclusion, but I guess not.

^ this is downplaying, what Sony did.

Sony beat their own PS4 launch records.
I dont care about him explaining why the xbox did poorly (its down 30%+ compaired to launch of Xbox One, most places).
What I care about is, its totally missing the point that Sony did something impressive.

Basically sony come out by selling the most a console ever has in history (at a console launch).
And its "well thats only because xbox had production issues, and started later"

You can see why I go huh? thats not the story.

"There hasn't been a leak regarding what Xbox actually sold, so calling it "poorly" is wishful thinking on your part."

There has actually been leaks (we know number/number ranges), of US, Spain, France, ect. (other places in europe).
Were the general trend is its down compaired to the Xbox One launch.

I was not downplaying Sony at all. I was genuinely giving them a complement because I know(and many others), who ever manufactured more consoles in the US, was going to sell better there at launch, hence every console for both system in the US is very hard to find. Whether you think I'm still hating on Sony is you're own problem. The point of my post was about why Xbox sold less in certain regions which came down to Xbox manufacturing slightly more consoles than the X1, but is spread out between way more countries. 

thismeintiel said:
shikamaru317 said:

I mean Phil said it in an interview recently, that they had to wait until late Summer (I assume that means August) for their AMD chipsets so that they could finish their Xbox Series units. Supposedly PS5 was in production by late June I think. So it does make sense why Sony was able to get so much more stock ready for launch than MS. MS clearly weren't able to manufacture enough stock to meet demand, in spite of the fact that they saw their day one preorders sell out minutes way back in September. 

Phil also said he had a finished Series X in his house in early May. And they showed off the final unit in Dec of the previous year at the VGAs. So which is it? Were they ahead of Sony, like Xbox fans were saying late last year and early this year? Or are they behind them, which only started being the narrative when the 12 Tflops beast narrative didn't quite play out?

Surely you can see a difference between making a few and making a million+.

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

Is it that much of a bother that the XSX|S hasn't flopped hard?

Its just the xbox being down, this gen, compaired to last gen, isnt even the real story.

So no, its not a "bother".

I was pointing out, the need to downplay, why the xbox series x+s did poorly, by him, was unnessary.

The real story, is the success of the PS5 (beating the PS4).
(not compaired to series x+s, but by beating the insane performance the PS4 had at launch last gen).

PS5 also set a record, for highest unit+dollar sales, for controllers for a console, in history.

You can use a X1 controller on the series S and X so there is no need to buy a extra controller since most people that bought one already have some spare ones.  PS4 controllers don't work on PS5 games.

Chris Hu said:
JRPGfan said:

Its just the xbox being down, this gen, compaired to last gen, isnt even the real story.

So no, its not a "bother".

I was pointing out, the need to downplay, why the xbox series x+s did poorly, by him, was unnessary.

The real story, is the success of the PS5 (beating the PS4).
(not compaired to series x+s, but by beating the insane performance the PS4 had at launch last gen).

PS5 also set a record, for highest unit+dollar sales, for controllers for a console, in history.

You can use a X1 controller on the series S and X so there is no need to buy a extra controller since most people that bought one already have some spare ones.  PS4 controllers don't work on PS5 games.

Yes, but again... this is the most, in terms of unit+dollars, any gen of any console, at any time, at launch a console has done in the USA.
So no reason to compair to xbox series x.

PS5 sold alot of controllers apparently.