By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which will be the next Switch model?

Next Switch model?

SwitchPro 23 45.10%

Switch+ 16 31.37%

SwitchTV 8 15.69%

Switch[fill-in-text] 4 7.84%

Total:51

You most have likely read the articles that repurposed the Switch Pro rumours from last years.
The model did not release back then, and some people have similar doubts this time around.
But why limit to the Pro only? I thought it would be interesting to make this poll over here.

Which model should Nintendo release?

• SwitchPro: The 4K DLSS console articles are claiming for.
  • Switch+: With Tegra X2 the hybrid has double the battery life on portable and double the power docked.
  • SwitchTV: Small device similar to the Shield TV using the Mariko SoC with no limitations.

Can you think of other models or revision you would like to see?

Last edited by TomaTito - on 11 October 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Starting to believe the Switch "Pro" is gonna happen, that won't be the name though. So, 2021 Switch Pro, and 2024 Switch 2. Or whatever the hell Nintendo's next console will be.

Edit: sorry, thought the thread title said "when", not "which". 4 AM brain is my excuse. I'll be taking my leave now

While you're heading to bed, tell Fin to play an Alchemistcore game, to uninstall Origami King, and that I said goodnight. Thanks. 

considering the magic that is DLSS, the pro is extreamly liekly.
it wouldn't even need to render too much better then the base switch to achive a good 4k DLSS docked.
it woudl just need to hold 480p undocked and 720p docked for a good 1080p portable/4k DLSS docked expirence

as long as it can do whis before the application of DLSS and the tensor cores

I want Switch TV. For a simple reason. Once the Switch can no longer hold a charge there is no way to power it on even docked to play your games. So I just want to play games years from now even after the battery on my OGT Switch has gone sour.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

A Switch plus, but with a new chip, not exactly the X2

NVidia makes a new Shield Android TV every 2 years and will need new hardware next year. Since both Switch and Shield use the same hardware, there will be something coming next year unless Covid delayed it's development. My expectations are a switch to A75 or Carmel for the CPU and Turing GTX (No tensor cores) for the GPU (Ampere is too much of a power hog for such tiny devices and Pascal too old by now), combined with 8GB RAM on a 128 bit bus.

In other words, a somewhat modernized X2. The alternative would be to reuse the X2, but produce it in a 12 nm process, which would result in it consuming less power and producing less heat.

Around the Network

How does 4K make a Switch for professionals? =P

Anyway, I think a Switch TV/budget model, but that’s completely uninteresting to me, personally.

Switch 2 sound the most compelling for me.

As for what Nintendo’s doing, I don’t know.

For Switch 2: I HATE it when companies scrap their old platforms, and Nintendo is the absolute worst for this. I want to see the Switch platform evolve for the next generation, and again the generation after, and again. I’d love to see an end to this whole “burn it down and replace it” method, because sometimes you burn down a speedy Wii and get a sluggish Wii U; I mean, at least Wii U had “Wii Mode” - but the problem it was a half-assed way to integrate.

I want new hardware, an evolved platform with more features like a centralized health tracking system for their health products. Better quality hardware like more durable rails on the side of the Switch 2, better Joycons that don’t de-sync and such. Integration with the QOL project that’s like 5 years late now. Maybe Joycon+, if the reason we don’t have IR games is because of weakness in the gyroscopic technology or something, I’d love to see that improved, too.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 11 October 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Switch XL, like 3DS XL. Bigger screen, 4K.

I don't have 4k TV so couldn't care less for resolution. Resolution is useless if your assets aren't high quality and detailed in first place, imagine a game like Fire Emblem Three houses in 4K, what good will it make?

I want a more stable framerate, anything lesser than 30 FPS is unacceptable in any game, and 60 FPS must be the goal, longer battery, more storage, a bit more RAM and quality joycons because the current ones are dreadful and started drifting in 4 months

I can see Nintendo releasing the TV only model as they already done the handheld only version.
And for this they would keep the same SoC and keep the same power envelope with the current devices.

My preference would be the hybrid Switch+ with improved battery life and performance.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Switchphone. 6" screen, unlocked phone that can be setup with whatever provider you want, has physical buttons that extend out of the phone on the left, right, and top, but when they are not being used they tuck into the phone. This leads to a thicker phone, to have room to store the buttons when they aren't being used, but allows for no add-on equipment and doesn't have the downside of terrible digital buttons. Has all buttons, left and right stick, RT and LT buttons, xyab buttons. Can play all Switch games even though it is smaller, via improve technology.

$500 unlocked.