By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which will be the next Switch model?

Next Switch model?

SwitchPro 23 45.10%

Switch+ 16 31.37%

SwitchTV 8 15.69%

Switch[fill-in-text] 4 7.84%

Total:51

I expect Switch Pro/+ in 2021. Basically a bit more powerful, 4k DLSS when docked, perhaps a bit more battery duration, bigger screen, more disk space.
I think Nintendo should definitely bring out a Switch Home in like 2023, that has the same power as the Pro/+, but even more disk space, comes with a pro controller, and obviously cheaper at like $200. Switch Home late in Switch lifecycle could pick up those people who just don't care about portable gaming and so want a cheaper system in which they aren't paying extra for hybrid stuff.

Around the Network

Maybe a bit of Pro/+

I personally don't think it will have the full blown DLSS and Tensor cores just yet but Nvidia Shield TV does have it's own form of Ai upscaling that is pretty good as well. The switch pro will most likely have a 4k output resolution and use Nvidia's Ai upscaler to enhance the image that's being displayed on screen. I think the main thing will just be the increased power and battery.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/08/26/shield-upgrade-25/

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/02/03/what-is-ai-upscaling/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I voted Switch+.  I think the next Switch model will be an upgrade in the same way the "new 3DS" was an upgrade.  Switch+ will likely have the following features:

-greatly improved battery life
-modestly improved processor
-Joy Con drift issues are fixed
-might be able to steam 4k video content (this would make the 4K rumors technically true even though graphics on video games would be more or less the same)

The *New* Nintendo Switch

My hope is pro and + combined. My wallet is ready.

I think it will be a Switch lite slim, something even more pocket friendly than the lite with a design that flirts with PSVita. The price u$ 249

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

Switch Plus seems far more likely. The rumored Switch Pro sounds like a much better idea for a Switch 2. I really don't see Nintendo messing with something like 4K DLSS on a mid-gen refresh for the Switch. The only way that would happen is if Switch 2 comes out Holiday 2024 or later. After all, why release that big of an upgrade to your hardware if there's gonna be a successor by March 2024 or likely before?

Switch Plus could be the pro model. Better battery life, a slightly bigger screen, maybe 900p resolution, better CPU and GPU in the dock and tablet, more internal storage.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Didn't have time to reply to the msgs before...

Wman1996 said:
Switch Plus seems far more likely. The rumored Switch Pro sounds like a much better idea for a Switch 2. I really don't see Nintendo messing with something like 4K DLSS on a mid-gen refresh for the Switch.
Switch Plus could be the pro model. Better battery life, a slightly bigger screen, maybe 900p resolution, better CPU and GPU in the dock and tablet, more internal storage.

I agree, 4K DLSS sounds more like an spec for Switch 2. Either way I would keep the resolution of the device the same too, screen resolution upgrades would also be something I'd expect from the Switch 2.

TheBraveGallade said:

considering the magic that is DLSS, the pro is extreamly liekly.
it wouldn't even need to render too much better then the base switch to achive a good 4k DLSS docked.
it woudl just need to hold 480p undocked and 720p docked for a good 1080p portable/4k DLSS docked expirence

as long as it can do whis before the application of DLSS and the tensor cores

IcaroRibeiro said:
I don't have 4k TV so couldn't care less for resolution. Resolution is useless if your assets aren't high quality and detailed in first place, imagine a game like Fire Emblem Three houses in 4K, what good will it make?

I want a more stable framerate, anything lesser than 30 FPS is unacceptable in any game, and 60 FPS must be the goal, longer battery, more storage, a bit more RAM and quality joycons because the current ones are dreadful and started drifting in 4 months

As TheBraveGallade says, with DLSS you use lower resolutions and the left over power can be used to increase the frames.

Jumpin said:

How does 4K make a Switch for professionals? =P

For Switch 2: I HATE it when companies scrap their old platforms, and Nintendo is the absolute worst for this. I want to see the Switch platform evolve for the next generation, and again the generation after, and again. I’d love to see an end to this whole “burn it down and replace it” method, because sometimes you burn down a speedy Wii and get a sluggish Wii U; I mean, at least Wii U had “Wii Mode” - but the problem it was a half-assed way to integrate.

How does it make it professional? Ask the professional reporters

Pretty sure the next generation from Nintendo will build upon the Switch, even continue expanding the ecosystem and be backwards compatible.

siebensus4 said:
Switch XL, like 3DS XL. Bigger screen, 4K.

Out of the box thinking

Slownenberg said:
I expect Switch Pro/+ in 2021. Basically a bit more powerful, 4k DLSS when docked, perhaps a bit more battery duration, bigger screen, more disk space.
I think Nintendo should definitely bring out a Switch Home in like 2023, that has the same power as the Pro/+, but even more disk space, comes with a pro controller, and obviously cheaper at like $200. Switch Home late in Switch lifecycle could pick up those people who just don't care about portable gaming and so want a cheaper system in which they aren't paying extra for hybrid stuff.

That's not a bad idea to release a cheap TV model late in the generation.

Captain_Yuri said:
Maybe a bit of Pro/+

I personally don't think it will have the full blown DLSS and Tensor cores just yet but Nvidia Shield TV does have it's own form of Ai upscaling that is pretty good as well. The switch pro will most likely have a 4k output resolution and use Nvidia's Ai upscaler to enhance the image that's being displayed on screen. I think the main thing will just be the increased power and battery.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/08/26/shield-upgrade-25/

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/02/03/what-is-ai-upscaling/

Forgot about the upscaling in the Shield TV. Although I remember reading it didn't work that well.

EIDT: Might be remembering this wrong!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqa3c-oiAk

Not sure how well it can work with game, but I do remember a rumour saying that Nintendo was asking third-parties to prepare their games for 4K upscalling. Maybe they meant to use to teach this AI so it can learn how to upres their catalogue of games. This procedure is similar to how DLSS 1.0 was like, my understanding is that DLSS 2.0 does this differently, right?

160rmf said:
I think it will be a Switch lite slim, something even more pocket friendly than the lite with a design that flirts with PSVita. The price u$ 249

Yet another handheld version?

Dulfite said:
Switchphone. 6" screen, unlocked phone that can be setup with whatever provider you want, has physical buttons that extend out of the phone on the left, right, and top, but when they are not being used they tuck into the phone. This leads to a thicker phone, to have room to store the buttons when they aren't being used, but allows for no add-on equipment and doesn't have the downside of terrible digital buttons. Has all buttons, left and right stick, RT and LT buttons, xyab buttons. Can play all Switch games even though it is smaller, via improve technology.

$500 unlocked.

Can't remember his username now, KGBsomething, but he would love this device to replace his Vita.

mZuzek said:

Edit: sorry, thought the thread title said "when", not "which". 4 AM brain is my excuse. I'll be taking my leave now

What are your two cents?

Last edited by TomaTito - on 12 October 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

How does the name switch charged sound? Or switch thunder? Or switch pluggged for the tv version? Because if we think about it, switch lite is a pun as light switch so another electricity pun would be very funny. My name's are a bit lame though

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I'm hoping for TV version - I don't care for handheld gaming, I find the price of Switch to be middle-finger worthy, but as much as I dislike BotW, I'm looking forward to sequel and all the potential improvements/fixes.

HoloDust said:
I'm hoping for TV version - I don't care for handheld gaming, I find the price of Switch to be middle-finger worthy, but as much as I dislike BotW, I'm looking forward to sequel and all the potential improvements/fixes.

Wait you think $300 is middle finger worthy and you dislike BotW? Now those are some HOT takes

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also