By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced, taking place100 years before Breath of the Wild (releases November 20th, 2020)

Tagged games:

So a prequel to Breath of the Wild, that's cool. Maybe we can finally walk through Castle Town.

However, is this digital only? That would, to say the least, s*ck.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
So a prequel to Breath of the Wild, that's cool. Maybe we can finally walk through Castle Town.

Dont see why it wouldnt be a retail release. Its 60 bucks after all.

Supermario28 said:
Do anyone know how many copies of Hyrule Warriors were sold on Wii U and on Switch? Just to get an idea for this game.
It doesn't look like it could push HW sales during the holiday quarter IMO

VGC has the following sales figures:

HW WiiU: 1.26 million

HW 3DS: 0.49 million

HW Switch: 0.46 million

https://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/games.php?name=hyrule+warriors

As VGC stopped tracking sales 2019, the Switch-sales may be a bit higher by now, how much is hard to guess. I don't know any shipment figures.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Supermario28 said:
Do anyone know how many copies of Hyrule Warriors were sold on Wii U and on Switch? Just to get an idea for this game.
It doesn't look like it could push HW sales during the holiday quarter IMO

We know that Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U sold just above 1 Million units. There are no official numbers on how much it sold on the Switch, however all Koei Techmo said was that the Switch version sold "above expectations" so they were probably happy with the sales on Switch. However, I would assume Hyrule warriors on the Switch barely got to 1 million sold and maybe less since nothing official was said.

While those sales may be laughably low for Nintendo standards, it's important to keep in mind that Hyrule Warriors was on the dead Wii U and essentially a low-effort Dynasty Warriors game with a Link skin on it, to many it didn't feel like a Zelda game. However, it was still able to sell more than 1 Million on a 13M Wii U. I'm sure this game has the potential to sell so much more since it seems like this game from the ground up was meant to be a prequel to BOTW twisted with Dynasty Warriors, it looks like Zelda BOTW, it has stories and characters from BOTW. I'm sure many BOTW fans will go crazy over this knowing it's made as a prequel, even if it isn't a true Zelda game.

S.Peelman said:

No. What gave you that idea?

Nintendo even state that the digital bonus item would not be immediately available to owners of the packaged game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Mnementh said:
A new Nintendo Warriors was to expect, but this one turned out pretty cool. Normally Warriors is a bit loose in focus on a story, but here they are already constrained through Breath of Wild. While this limits the number of heroes and enemy types you will encounter, it might be a new step for a Warrior game. I expect this to become a new best-selling Warriors. And so soon. I can't wait.

Also, pretty much everything Nintendo does got leaked before, but this one stayed secret.

It did? What except for Super Mario 3D All-Stars got leaked?

For some years now many rumour turn out true, like new switch models and games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Feels a bit cheap of Nintendo to bait fans by teasing story development that wasn't in Breath of the Wild behind a shallow Warriors game. I'm not sure how much they can really say anyway, since people who played BoTW know the eventual consequences of those 100 years and I really don't trust Koei to be able to fill in the blanks in any kind of meaningful way. I'll pass.

There is so much lore in the world of Botw that weren't really explained or said in the main story. This is so exciting to know they worked closely with the Zelda team and this was Aonuma's idea to make this game. So i'm sure it means they wanted to give out more story, which i think is a good sign for the sequel since maybe they learned from their mistakes of just going on the surface with Botw.

But yea, i'm expecting something more story focused and of big quality. They will def give more background or else there would be no point of Zelda team getting so involved. Zelda Botw 2 should be late spring 2021 at best now.

Raven said:
Feels a bit cheap of Nintendo to bait fans by teasing story development that wasn't in Breath of the Wild behind a shallow Warriors game. I'm not sure how much they can really say anyway, since people who played BoTW know the eventual consequences of those 100 years and I really don't trust Koei to be able to fill in the blanks in any kind of meaningful way. I'll pass.

Well they did say they were working close with the Zelda team on this one. 

It's more Breath of the Wild. Which is good.
But it's a Warriors game. Which is bad.
It's also what the second part of the BotW DLC should have shown. Which is dirty.

I think I'm gonna pass. Hyrule Warriors was fun for about 10 hours. Then it became as boring and repetitive as it can get. Unless they apply significant changes to the formula to prevent those problems, I have no interest in this game.