By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: New Monster Hunter for Nintendo Switch

It’s not a rumour, it’s a statement from a Capcom insider called. “AestheticGamer aka Dusk Golem“

The fact that this twitter poster might be lying doesn’t make their statements a rumour, it makes them unconfirmed.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Best case scenario: Monster Hunter 5 exclusive for Nintendo Switch
Worst case scenario: some crappy effortless portable port

But only one doubt: what's the point of developping a new game using REengine if it is a port?

DavidValbu said:
Best case scenario: Monster Hunter 5 exclusive for Nintendo Switch
Worst case scenario: some crappy effortless portable port

But only one doubt: what's the point of developping a new game using REengine if it is a port?

If it is MonHun 5 I doubt it will stay exclusive or even start exclusive. But I don't mind, MonHun goodness for everyone!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

If it is MonHun 5 I doubt it will stay exclusive or even start exclusive. But I don't mind, MonHun goodness for everyone!

Freedom 3 stayed exclusive while Tri was out so I don't see why not because we know from Capcom themselves they're aiming at the portable demographic with the project as they acknowledge the console variants fail to reach them.

Wyrdness said:
Mnementh said:

Freedom 3 stayed exclusive while Tri was out so I don't see why not because we know from Capcom themselves they're aiming at the portable demographic with the project as they acknowledge the console variants fail to reach them.

Yeah. Which is why I thought from the beginning of the unveiling of the Switch, that this device is the ideal MonHun-console: can be played mobile by the japanese MonHun-community, but also on a big screen for me (I didn't mind the smaller screen on 3DS for many games, but for MonHun I felt this was a big downside).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

If true, hopefully it is a legit new AAA MH game either built from the ground up for the Switch, either exclusive or just a Switch version of the next MH game. Worst case and most likely scenario its just a port of some old MH game or a B-team working on some secondary MH game meant to appease Switch owners without really giving them what they want.

If Switch is getting the next MH game, or it is exclusive, and it is an AAA game built for the Switch, then this could be a 10 million seller on Switch alone, and probably 5 million in Japan alone. If it is something else it's just gonna be another example of a third party dev not taking one of the hottest systems ever seriously and just settling for 1-2 million in sales on a lackluster effort.

I've never played MH before, never owned a system before Switch that had a MH game (I played the demo for the port on Switch for a few minutes and was not impressed), but if it's a new AAA game, especially probably in the MH World style, I'd be interested in trying out the series for the first time.

twintail said:
noname2200 said:
Supposedly the guy at the center of this rumor has a good reputation, so I'm intrigued to hear they're using the REEngine (but emphatically won't ever port the most recent RE games).

Sounds like the Switch variant is heavily modified. Games are going to have to be made for the engine in mind .

Agreed. This may sound like a backhanded compliment (it isn't), but Capcom is pretty skilled at porting games; if they've tried and failed, I'm willing to believe that it just can't be done in this case.

kazuyamishima said:
Unless Nintendo pays for the exclusivity, don’t see the appeal for Capcom to make it exclusive.

The largest active userbase in Japan, with the only handheld console on the market. Making it multiplatform would likely involve scaling back what a PS4/XboxX game could do, and double that if they target the next generation.

I've tried this series, but I just can't get into it. The combat is extremely boring, the controls frustrating, and their is no story to keep me captivated. I'm fully aware of how popular it is and I'm glad to hear that they are gonna bring one to Switch for the millions that will buy and enjoy it, though!

Slownenberg said:

If Switch is getting the next MH game, or it is exclusive, and it is an AAA game built for the Switch, then this could be a 10 million seller on Switch alone, and probably 5 million in Japan alone. If it is something else it's just gonna be another example of a third party dev not taking one of the hottest systems ever seriously and just settling for 1-2 million in sales on a lackluster effort.

Pretty much; a proper, full-blooded MH for Switch would be a megaton seller, especially given not only Switch's colossal success, especially in Japan, but World broadening the reach of the series in the West.

If they put the effort in, 10 million plus is absolutely achievable.

It just makes no business sense at all to half-arse it and just do a spin-off, port, or low effort entry, but you never know with Capcom, they seem to always look for a way to shortchange Switch owners.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 September 2020

Leynos said:
It's Capcom. It will be a port. Prob a bad one. DIgital only in the west. Cart in Japan but 80% of it is a download. Or worst case. Cloud only Switch game like RE7. Trusting Capcom to do well on Switch? lol have people learned nothing yet? The same company that wanted to sell DMC PS2 games individually for $20. All 3 of them. The physical of the RE collection is actually just 1 game. Every lazy port is still some test. Maybe Nintendo opened their checkbook to at the very least distribute it if not outright publish it.

The physical version of the Mega Man Legacy Collections requires a download... four collections of NES/SNES/PS1 ROMS, most of which could have fit on an N64 cart. Capcom requires an additional download to play the second half of a collection of six NES ROMS on a modern game card, meanwhile CD Projekt Red managed to get the entirety of The Witcher 3 on one Switch card with no extra downloads required....

Never forget