By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

Gladly so, I don’t need all that clutter on my gaming console. I’ll browse the internet on devices better suited to it. I’ll give you an activity log though, I’d like to see my progress somewhere. However no system has that, let alone as satisfactory as the 3DS’s.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Nintendo is my favorite video game publisher of all-time. They've had some very enjoyable consoles as well. I'm not merely here to spread doom and gloom. But Nintendo can use humbling and constructive criticism. We're over 3 years into the Switch's lifespan, and we still don't have basic features that were on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. That isn't even mentioning simple features from other consoles that could be included.

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

I know a lot of you will say that you don't care about most, or any of these features. And that's fine. But there are tons of people who do care. I'll side with players who want things like this when it doesn't bother anyone else at all in the process. I shouldn't have to pull out my smartphone or laptop for chat and looking up strategies for games.

Going step by step:

Netflix/Browser: These would be nice to have, but they are far from essencial and very low on the priority list at least for me. Browsing on consoles is always a pain (though the swtich in portable mode has some potential since it's essencially a tablet with controllers). Similar story for Netflix

Activity Log: There is sort of one implemented on your profile but it is absolutely awful compared to the 3DS one. I wish Nintendo had kept the old 3DS style activity log

Virtual Console: For better or worse, it seems to have been replaced by NES/SNES online, though the selection there is much worse than in the Wii virtual console still. Tbh I hope they eventually keep expanding the service, hopefully adding N64 games as well as most if not all of the NES/SNES first party library and the "good" third party games

Themes: Agreed this is something that should be brought back even if I never personally used it. At the very least, Nintendo should give more colours beyond just plain Black and white.

Folders: Tbh the way the games are distributed in general in the menu needs to be reworked and folders are only a part of that. I think Nintendo should use a system similar to that of the 3DS here as well, with multiple rows and not just 1

Achievements: This would be ok but honestly I don't see the point. Don't most games also track achievements internally?

Party Chat: Yeah this is a must imo. It is baffling that with a paid service Nintendo still has not implemented this (or good online in general, why are friend codes still a thing in 2020?)

Ethernet on the dock: This would be a nice upgrade and would not add much cost though I do not think creating a new version of the dock would be worthwhile for Nintendo now.

And no pizza delivery.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

-No Internet Browser-on a tablet device this is a solid criticism.

-No Netflix-meh. Would be nice, but it does have hulu.

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U-more niche than basic.

-No Virtual Console- because the industry as a whole has moved to self publish theyre retro backlogs. 

-No Themes- cute gimmick. Not missed tho 

-No Folders- nice luxury, but the "all games" folder is fine.

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System- personally this seems like a con on younger gamers. Games like golden eye unlocked extra features(cheats) for completing challenges. Not just popping up a pic of a worthless trophy.

-Party Chat/Friend Invites-YES. Kind of shows nintendo is not willing to put real effort into either A-their online tech or B- their console tech.

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)-done w an adapter. But yeah not ideal tho.

looking up strategies for games.- does anyone NOT use utube for this?  (Which it has)

Wman1996 said:

-No Internet Browser - isn't relevant now to have a browser on your console When every other device existing in the world could do a way better job

-No Netflix - not relevant, already included in almost 100% of current TV's

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U - meh

-No Virtual Console - there are plenty of old 8 and 16 bit games + NES/SNES apps, there is no need for the old formula to be brought back

-No Themes - yep

-No Folders - yep

-Achievement System - don't really see the point

-Party Chat/Friend Invites - yep, could be easier

-Ethernet (on the dock at least) - already exists

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network
Spindel said:
I hope Nintendo never listens to OP and continues focusing on giving us a solid gaming console.

Nothing of what is listed is needed for a solid gaming experience except maybe VC, and we get a bunch of retro games through NO anyway.

I mean, I'm all for a solid gaming console. Gaming, of course, is most important to me on video game hardware. Admittedly, Microsoft earlier on in the Xbox One focused far too much on multimedia features.

But you're telling me multimedia and extra features on previous Nintendo consoles and competitors keeps them from being solid? The industry has evolved. The Switch is not a success merely because it cuts out what some would consider "clutter". It's successful because of its first-party software. With that truly defining a Nintendo console, why not add at least a few of the cut features I mentioned? Especially themes and folders. I can accept VC as we knew it as dead. But we need far more platforms than NES and SNES. We really could use N64, GCN, GB, GBC, and GBA games by now.

On another topic, the reason Nintendo never included audio CDs, DVD, and Blu-ray functionality in their consoles has less to do with it getting in the way of their consoles. It's because Nintendo is too cheap to pay the license to DVD and Blu-ray organizations. The Wii could've easily played CDs and DVDs, same with the Wii U. Nintendo almost always refuses to sell their consoles at a loss, and that has sometimes made their competitors a far better value. An Xbox 360 and PS3 Slim in many ways was a much better value than a Wii. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

Nintendo is my favorite video game publisher of all-time. They've had some very enjoyable consoles as well. I'm not merely here to spread doom and gloom. But Nintendo can use humbling and constructive criticism. We're over 3 years into the Switch's lifespan, and we still don't have basic features that were on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. That isn't even mentioning simple features from other consoles that could be included.

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

I know a lot of you will say that you don't care about most, or any of these features. And that's fine. But there are tons of people who do care. I'll side with players who want things like this when it doesn't bother anyone else at all in the process. I shouldn't have to pull out my smartphone or laptop for chat and looking up strategies for games.

I really miss the Activity Log, that thing on 3DS was cool. On WiiU it already was lacking in features, but now Switch drops it completely and has only very inaccurate logs with the profile. A somewhat working solution is downloading and connecting the age restriction app. It not only allows to restrict playing time and stuff, but actually logs game activity. But this app also lacks.

Switch actually does have ethernet (mine actually is connected via ethernet). With the USB-Ethernet connector introduced for the Wii. It worked for WiiU (and for this console I owned it) and the day I installed the Switch I disconnected the WiiU (still has WIFI) and connected my Switch via Ethernet. It is this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/NINTENDO-OFFICIAL-SWITCH-WIIU-WII-ADAPTER/dp/B000JMJZS2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=lan+adapter+wii&qid=1595941989&sr=8-4

But besides the LAN-Adapter I agree with you. Especially folders and text messages to friends would very easy to implement and would add a lot of usability, without compromising the small OS. Activity log, Browser and Netflix could easily be apps that you download if you need them.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 28 July 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

COKTOE said:
Can you send messages via text yet?

Nope.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

kirby007 said:
Switchphone will do more of those multimedia tasks in 2023 book it

People keep saying they want this, but it would never sell in the numbers that would warrant the actual creation and release of it.

Spindel said:
I hope Nintendo never listens to OP and continues focusing on giving us a solid gaming console.

Nothing of what is listed is needed for a solid gaming experience except maybe VC, and we get a bunch of retro games through NO anyway.

That actually wouldn't take away from games. A small team of devs to develop these features is enough, and they don't need to be game devs. Actually I wouldn't trust gamedevs to solve these tasks with low resource usage and high maintainability, as games usually have a different focus than other software.