By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

Leynos said:

I hope Nintendo never puts in the bullshit that is Achievements. Fuck those up the ass.

I like achivements wish Nintendo would get on board with that. If people don't want them that's fine just turn off the notification and ignore them but you should always give your consumer more options not less.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Nintendo is my favorite video game publisher of all-time. They've had some very enjoyable consoles as well. I'm not merely here to spread doom and gloom. But Nintendo can use humbling and constructive criticism. We're over 3 years into the Switch's lifespan, and we still don't have basic features that were on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. That isn't even mentioning simple features from other consoles that could be included.

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

I know a lot of you will say that you don't care about most, or any of these features. And that's fine. But there are tons of people who do care. I'll side with players who want things like this when it doesn't bother anyone else at all in the process. I shouldn't have to pull out my smartphone or laptop for chat and looking up strategies for games.

Not one of these is a basic feature, several aren't even gaming system features.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Local save backups is what is the biggest thing missing the rest is irrelevant.

Although what would be cool with Switch 2 is if they had a media mode and game mode on boot up. That way it loads up all your browser, netflix whatever apps for media purposes and game mode woudl boot up into a streamlined gaming mode OS..

Of course you are completely right. The same issues continues with options and choice in games.

Sadly that's the issue with all consoles. Console makers absolutely hate choice because choice costs them money. The silver lining is that those saved costs are sometimes transfered to the customer via a cheaper console. However since you can't even buy those features with the saved money consoles will forever remain worthless for certain people.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Wman1996 said:

Nintendo is my favorite video game publisher of all-time. They've had some very enjoyable consoles as well. I'm not merely here to spread doom and gloom. But Nintendo can use humbling and constructive criticism. We're over 3 years into the Switch's lifespan, and we still don't have basic features that were on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. That isn't even mentioning simple features from other consoles that could be included.

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

I know a lot of you will say that you don't care about most, or any of these features. And that's fine. But there are tons of people who do care. I'll side with players who want things like this when it doesn't bother anyone else at all in the process. I shouldn't have to pull out my smartphone or laptop for chat and looking up strategies for games.

-It doesnt need an internet browser, people have smart phones on them at all times. Why would I pause a game and then use a controller to navigate a proprietary browser when I could just use Google Chrome on my phone?

-Every other device can play Netflix, including your aforementioned phone. Why do you need your Switch for Netflix?

-They have already elaborated on why the Switch doesnt have virtual console. It is annoying that they are being slow with the app updates and later console apps, but at this point you are just complaining for the sake of complaining

-Themes add no functionality to a console and are cosmetic only

-Folders would be nice to have, but the Switch OS is light enough to a point where it is hardly necessary

-They have already elaborated on why they opt for a friend code system instead of friend invites

Around the Network

The party chat and achievement system seem like no brainers to me... I don’t really understand why Nintendo hasn’t come out with them yet... especially the party chat, it is the kind of feature that is a necessary for a lot of the big third party titles...

-No Internet Browser - Due to the Switch's versatility of being able to come off the dock and use the touchscreen, this would actually come in hand for looking up strategies on the fly during a gaming session as has been said, as long as you wouldn't have to close said game to launch the browser. The WiiU was very useful in this regard, so I do admit that it would come in handy.

-No Netflix - I do have a Netflix account, and it is tied to multiple devices, but ever since I got a Smart TV years ago, I have zero need of it on my gaming console. My TV (55" Roku TCL) has it right on the main menu, and even the remote has a Netflix launch button directly on it (and Hulu for that matter).  I haven't launched Netflix on another device since.  For the same reason, the YouTube app on the Switch has become completely superfluous for me.  

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U - The Switch does have an Activity Log that tracks total time spent per game which is handy enough for me. I think it shows the most recent 10 (?). If you wanted to check an older title, all you would have to do is boot it up once to bring it back onto the list. That's good enough in my opinion.

-No Virtual Console - This is definitely missed, but as others have stated, Nintendo Switch Online has mostly taken its place for NES & SNES games. Capcom, Konami, Sega, SNK, etc have already sold collections of many of their back-catalogue of games themselves this gen and probably prefer to do it that way rather then spilt the profit with Nintendo. So, who knows if we will ever see something as comprehensive as the Virtual Console again.

-Achievement System - This I have zero interest in personally. I play a game to my own heart's content. I don't need someone else telling me whether I've gotten my fullest enjoyment or money's worth out of a game. I spent 225 hours beating the Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. I don't need an achievement system to say, "You haven't really finished the game, because you haven't found all 900 Korok Seeds yet". I always thought the Wii U handled it best. If you were particularly proud of achieving something specific in a game, you would just screenshot it and post it to Miiverse. But, that's just my opinion.  I know there are people who judge whether to buy a title on XBox One or Switch based on adding to their Gamerscore.  For me, it comes down to which console am I actually going to have more time to play on, and that invariably is the Switch due to its versatility.  Devs can and do still use their own in-game achievement system for their individual releases on Switch anyway.

The other points are things that would be good additions for many while being take it or leave it options for me.

I only miss an activity log and a basic messaging feature, everything else is unnecessary, especially account-based achievements. I wish they will never ever be implemented. A lot of games already have in-game achievements, please let it stay that way and never connect them to an account.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Its really hard to understand Nintendo choices in some cases.

If you look for Nintendo 1st party games, they are mostly very user friendly. Most of them can be easy or somehow challenging if you really want to play them that way.

They really try to be inovative in the hardware department - taking risks and producing systems like GameBoy, N64 (gamepad) Wii, WiiU, DS and 3DS, Switch.

But they are missing a lot in their OS department. I know some people say "I dont need those things" but remember you are not the only one buying the system. Nintendo systems are not produced for small groups of inclusive gamers, but are hoping to become a mass popular system for a very diverse group of people. Not having user-friendly OS and conveniences for mass market is just not making them look good, as they maybe not lose the sales on the go, but a bit later after some useres are disapointed with the lack of features the system offers - some people use Netflix, others may browse the web with switch or just check something while playing or are really into achivements.

I dont think this will change with ongoing Nintendo generation (switch), but im hoping for some improvements with their next system - Switch 2

method114 said:
Leynos said:

I hope Nintendo never puts in the bullshit that is Achievements. Fuck those up the ass.

I like achivements wish Nintendo would get on board with that. If people don't want them that's fine just turn off the notification and ignore them but you should always give your consumer more options not less.

The issue with achievements is that they breed a shitty culture surrounding games, where a lot of people will buy a game just to get the achievements, and a lot of people will obsess over playing a game until they "Platinum" it even if they're not enjoying it anymore (or never were to begin with). Of course, that's something anyone can just turn off, but it's just kinda annoying when that sort of thing starts popping up in your gaming community. As a system-wide feature, I can't see anything good to come from it, like, at all. If a developer really wants their game to have achievements, they can just make them in-game, like a lot of them already do, and I like it better that way, because for some games it's nice to have that sort of thing, but not for all of them.