By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

I play the Switch (or so least I did before Animal Crossing 😠) for the games but I have to say, it's a cold, lifeless experience. Pretty surprising coming from Nintendo. Their hardware has a history of being charming and full of personality.

Around the Network

All of you people who want achievements on the Switch don't know what you are asking for. Achievements are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. In fact achievements caused my father to lose his job. Trophies killed my brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
All of you people who want achievements on the Switch don't know what you are asking for. Achievements are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. In fact achievements caused my father to lose his job. Trophies killed my brother.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Signalstar said:

Ouchy ouch. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

the sad truth is, nintendo is just being lazy like always. if you look at the 3ds and switch homebrew scene what actually is possible, nintendo could shovel money with that.

1. themes, look at that:

2. activity log, it's funny, the switch saves all necessary data for that, so there is already an homebrew app for that.

look at those screenshots https://github.com/tallbl0nde/NX-Activity-Log#screenshots

3. the switch is powerful it can run every older system through emulators EVEN ds and 3ds. imagine nintendo would spend more time on it and release a proper ds / 3ds virtual console and having designt there system to have joycons attached vertical.

look at this please

ds: https://youtu.be/9u_pIUFBDL4?t=538

3ds: https://youtu.be/yv96bNSPBlY?t=948

if some homebrew apps manages to do something like this, what could nintendo do with enough manpower.

Last edited by ruffy37 - on 28 July 2020

Around the Network

Not sure why you'd want to play Netflix on a Switch. Isn't max dock output resolution 1080P? A lot of multimedia apps are found on Smart TV's that can play 4K. And is basically available on all smartphones and tablets. Same with web browsing, who even uses that on consoles lol.

Friends invites should really be implemented idd. Ethernet also would be nice. Other stuff would be good but not necessary.

Last edited by hinch - on 28 July 2020

d21lewis said:
I play the Switch (or so least I did before Animal Crossing 😠) for the games but I have to say, it's a cold, lifeless experience. Pretty surprising coming from Nintendo. Their hardware has a history of being charming and full of personality.

It was a response to how full of shit the Wii U OS was and how slow it was. Everything about the Switch, even the OS was meant to be the anti-Wii U. I prefer it. Nice and snappy. I grew a beard waiting for Wii U to load the main menu exiting a game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Wman1996 said:
There are people here who say a lot of the things I mentioned are clutter. That's obviously okay if you feel that way. Is it safe to say you would feel the same way about PlayStation, Xbox, and if Nintendo was up to specs and in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft? Would it be totally fine if Nintendo released a home console in 2013 with the specs of Xbox One and PS4 and it had no internet browser, Netflix, crappy online, etc?
Because I have a feeling the big reason people don't mind these features and options being absent is because Nintendo has not been up to specs with the competition since the GameCube.
Long story short...would you prefer consoles to lack Netflix/Streaming, Internet Browsers, Themes, and the like? Would it be much better for gaming if hardware was only for playing games?

I do like themes and local back up but for everything else. I don't give a fuck. When I turn on my PS4 its to play a game. Nothing else. I have a PC and phone for browsing. I have a Roku for Netflix. Netflix and the browser are redundant. Console browsers are trash and clunky to use anyway. It was neat in 2006 when our phones were motorola flip phones. It was neat on Dreamcast in 1999 when my Nokia could only play snake. It's pretty much useless now. It's bloatware. My PS4 won't play musics CD's either. A feature on every disc-based system. No one needs it anymore. Sometimes something outstays its usefulness.

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I would be happy with being able to record more than just 30 seconds of gameplay. That's just ridiculous. If it was at least 5 minutes it would be MUCH better. Also, Youtube upload support. Just Twitter and Facebook is lame.

A better activity log like the ones on 3DS and Wii U would be great too. It provides valuable information about my gaming habits.

Anything else... I don't care. Trophies are plain stupid, I have Netflix on both my smart TV and my PS4, I don't use voice chat, I have a crap ton of other better options for text messages on my phone, folders are redundant with how well organized and easy to access Switch games are...

hinch said:

Not sure why you'd want to play Netflix on a Switch. Isn't max dock output resolution 1080P? A lot of multimedia apps are found on Smart TV's that can play 4K. And is basically available on all smartphones and tablets. Same with web browsing, who even uses that on consoles lol.

Friends invites should really be implemented idd. Ethernet also would be nice. Other stuff would be good but not necessary.

In march 2019, Smart TVs were only in around 32% of US households.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/32-percent-of-us-tvs-are-smart-tvs

At my family home, the only smart TV we have is in the living room. The other TVs like in my bedroom are from 2009/2010 and aren't being replaced anytime soon. 

I paid for 4k netflix for a few months at my own apartment and it was pointless because the internet connection rarely hits a crisp 1080p, let alone 4k. My TVs wifi connection is aweful too. 

Having netflix and other streaming services is not some huge or costly undertaking on Nintendo's behalf. They simply decided they're not interested, but I'm sure millions of their consumers are. Nintendo has often been very stubborn about very simple and clear cut things, this seems to be one such case.

Sometimes you do things to improve consumer satisfaction and relationship with your product. 

Last edited by Otter - on 29 July 2020