Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

Nintendo is my favorite video game publisher of all-time. They've had some very enjoyable consoles as well. I'm not merely here to spread doom and gloom. But Nintendo can use humbling and constructive criticism. We're over 3 years into the Switch's lifespan, and we still don't have basic features that were on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. That isn't even mentioning simple features from other consoles that could be included.

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

I know a lot of you will say that you don't care about most, or any of these features. And that's fine. But there are tons of people who do care. I'll side with players who want things like this when it doesn't bother anyone else at all in the process. I shouldn't have to pull out my smartphone or laptop for chat and looking up strategies for games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

bluetooth headset

Personally, I would rather they focus on good games over most of that stuff. A party system is the only "essential" thing listed.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Some are dumb, a few would be solid upgrades. Browsers on portables are kinda wonky. Flix isn't necessary. VC is good for those who like retro, but for me I kept my old carts so I don't wanna pay twice. Ethernet and themes I'd like. One because wired is better than wireless when given the option. Themes, I just like to mix it up once in a while. I have a collection of BG's for my lappy and free themes on PS4.

A trophy system could go either way. I like using it as a log of the games I've completed. It also gives you incentive to try things in games you normally might not. But I'm not so addicted to it that I demand it in all my games.

I miss the activity log, it was such neat feature to have...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Can you send messages via text yet?

Chinese food for breakfast

I 100% agree with Netflix or internet browser as unnecessary. Might be nice, but completely irrelevant features. No real reason to add those.

The UI/UX (EG, game organization, themes, logs, etc) and bluetooth headset functionality are the only two things I think are legitimate missteppings on their part.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Don't forget local save backups.

Activity log is the only I would accept out of the bunch, rest is superfluous or wouldn't add much from the experience. Anywoo, as for the achievement system. They don't need another layer of busy tasking when most of their games already got their own in-game achievements and completion rate for the players to attain.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I hope Nintendo never puts in the bullshit that is Achievements. Fuck those up the ass.

Couldn't care less about Netflix. Never use those on consoles.

Browser. See Netflix.

That said. Yes, I want folders. Themes and messaging. What I really want above all is a local backup.  I have 150 hours in Daemon X Machina I can't back up. So if I lose that I will be raging mad. The multiplayer is an optional mode but the bulk of the game is offline singleplayer so why can't I back it up for fucks sake?!

Last edited by Leynos - on 27 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!