By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

I care about most of those features, actually. No messaging between friends is unacceptable, so is not having Netflix on the thing when they've said multiple years ago that it was coming.

Folders, themes, activity log, all that stuff, would be really nice to have, though I don't really care enough about those to be disappointed about it.

Achievements, ewww

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
100% agree with all the issues you bring up. Problem is that the Switch sells amazingly regardless. Nintendo has no incentive to spend money or development resources on these features if they continue to fly off the shelves.

Right. Which is why I'm not surprised most of the stuff I mentioned isn't on the Switch. But themes are throwing away free money. I know they aren't completely free to make, but easy enough. Some themes will be free, but some will be $0.99, some will be $1.99, and the most expensive will be $2.99.

And folders are insanely easy. They were added to 3DS and Wii U with a simple patch. So I do understand why there isn't an internet browser and Netflix. But themes and folders are easy.

And I don't expect there's a good chance Nintendo will do an achievement system. If they do, they'll wait until Switch 2. This isn't like the seventh gen where Xbox 360 launched with achievements and then its director competitor, the PS3, decided they should add trophies partway into the life of the PS3.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I have learnt to stop caring about them on the switch. Once up on a time I was like wtf Nintendo. But as the days pass, I start to realize that a lot of the stuff like messaging, like chat, like web browsing and etc are things I wouldn't use very often on the switch anyway but instead, I'd use them in other platforms like on a computer or phone. If you don't have a PC/phone and the switch is your only console, yea those would be pretty yikes but for me, oh well.

I do miss dem Miiverse memes/drawings though

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Most are not essential, but I wouldnt mind an achievement system tbh.
The Virtual Console is irrelevant, they are still porting some old games, just not using a "Virtual Console" app/platform/mode to do it. So its all the same. The real issue with this is they are not porting anywhere near enough old games son, so much of their SNES catalogue would be wonderful on the Switch and they are not giving us those games. I so want to give them my money but they just dont want it.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 27 July 2020

Please don’t put dumb achievements on my Nintendo systems. Everything else on the list are valid features to add though.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

- No need for all that bloatware

I dont think most of these features will ever be added, which is quite embarrassing if im being honest. I really wish achievements were a thing

Lack of internet browser and netflix don't bother me. I didn't realize a console game was supposed to hold those apps, I mean... they are lowkey redundant nowadays. They would be nice features still

Lack of virtual console is less about a basic feature and more about a mixing between greedy and Switch Online. Seems like Nintendo realize how powerful is their back catalog and will do the best they can to exploit it better than just offering for a """low price""" download

Party chat is a trick one. Maybe they are afraid of letting chidren take with stranges?

Themes and folders though, I have no idea why they didn't implement it yet. Laziness?

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 27 July 2020

The only feature I miss is Miiverse with its great user generated drawings.

Captain_Yuri said:

I have learnt to stop caring about them on the switch. Once up on a time I was like wtf Nintendo. But as the days pass, I start to realize that a lot of the stuff like messaging, like chat, like web browsing and etc are things I wouldn't use very often on the switch anyway but instead, I'd use them in other platforms like on a computer or phone. If you don't have a PC/phone and the switch is your only console, yea those would be pretty yikes but for me, oh well.

The issue isn't that you can't talk to your friends, it's that you can't talk to people whom you've played with online and might've then become a friend, or at least someone you play online with more often.

Believe it or not, I've actually made a IRL friend whose first contact I had with was playing online on the Wii U. On the Switch, this is impossible.