By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

No worries

Around the Network

A lot of those features aren't really targeted at Nintendo's market, or are simply implemented in a different way (e.g. the Virtual Console has been replaced with NES/NES game bundles). It's actually refreshing to have a system *not* wire into social media platforms.

I don't care about most of the stuff you listed, but yeah an activity log would be nice, and I'd love it if miiverse made a comeback.

They already kind of allow it in Splatoon 2, but it was so cool to be able to see drawings and stuff for every game you played. Plus the ability to post a screenshot or video and ask for help with something in a game came in handy quite a few times for me.

And the miiverse messages in a bottle in Windwaker HD was so freaking cool! Man I miss it.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Of all the things you listed, most are pointless these days. Netflix (or any streaming service) on a console is truly meaningless as Smart TVs become the norm (have been for a while) so there is really nothing lost there. Net browsers have always been trash on console, and more of a hassle than any other medium it can be done on. Activity log is something I did not even know existed on other consoles, which shows how meaningful it really is. Achievements are hit or miss, as they are meaningless to those who do not hunt them. I never found value in them on PS4 or X1, so why would Switch be any different? All they do is add busy work that fks with people's ocd and often requires you to do tasks that are boring/stupid to unlock.

The only things you mentioned that need to be added, but aren't, would be native party chat, themes, and folders. It is truly mind boggling that these are not present. I give ethernet a nod as it would be very simple to have a port in the dock, but wifi tech has come a long way and I have had no problems. TBH the more pressing issue with online is the lack of quality servers and ancient P2P connectivity.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Just gimme those achievements please. You already add them into some of your games, just make them link to your account... Smh Nintendo.

Around the Network

Gladly so, I don’t need all that clutter on my gaming console. I’ll browse the internet on devices better suited to it. I’ll give you an activity log though, I’d like to see my progress somewhere. However no system has that, let alone as satisfactory as the 3DS’s.

Wman1996 said:

Nintendo is my favorite video game publisher of all-time. They've had some very enjoyable consoles as well. I'm not merely here to spread doom and gloom. But Nintendo can use humbling and constructive criticism. We're over 3 years into the Switch's lifespan, and we still don't have basic features that were on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. That isn't even mentioning simple features from other consoles that could be included.

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

I know a lot of you will say that you don't care about most, or any of these features. And that's fine. But there are tons of people who do care. I'll side with players who want things like this when it doesn't bother anyone else at all in the process. I shouldn't have to pull out my smartphone or laptop for chat and looking up strategies for games.

Going step by step:

Netflix/Browser: These would be nice to have, but they are far from essencial and very low on the priority list at least for me. Browsing on consoles is always a pain (though the swtich in portable mode has some potential since it's essencially a tablet with controllers). Similar story for Netflix

Activity Log: There is sort of one implemented on your profile but it is absolutely awful compared to the 3DS one. I wish Nintendo had kept the old 3DS style activity log

Virtual Console: For better or worse, it seems to have been replaced by NES/SNES online, though the selection there is much worse than in the Wii virtual console still. Tbh I hope they eventually keep expanding the service, hopefully adding N64 games as well as most if not all of the NES/SNES first party library and the "good" third party games

Themes: Agreed this is something that should be brought back even if I never personally used it. At the very least, Nintendo should give more colours beyond just plain Black and white.

Folders: Tbh the way the games are distributed in general in the menu needs to be reworked and folders are only a part of that. I think Nintendo should use a system similar to that of the 3DS here as well, with multiple rows and not just 1

Achievements: This would be ok but honestly I don't see the point. Don't most games also track achievements internally?

Party Chat: Yeah this is a must imo. It is baffling that with a paid service Nintendo still has not implemented this (or good online in general, why are friend codes still a thing in 2020?)

Ethernet on the dock: This would be a nice upgrade and would not add much cost though I do not think creating a new version of the dock would be worthwhile for Nintendo now.

And no pizza delivery.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

-No Internet Browser-on a tablet device this is a solid criticism.

-No Netflix-meh. Would be nice, but it does have hulu.

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U-more niche than basic.

-No Virtual Console- because the industry as a whole has moved to self publish theyre retro backlogs. 

-No Themes- cute gimmick. Not missed tho 

-No Folders- nice luxury, but the "all games" folder is fine.

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System- personally this seems like a con on younger gamers. Games like golden eye unlocked extra features(cheats) for completing challenges. Not just popping up a pic of a worthless trophy.

-Party Chat/Friend Invites-YES. Kind of shows nintendo is not willing to put real effort into either A-their online tech or B- their console tech.

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)-done w an adapter. But yeah not ideal tho.

looking up strategies for games.- does anyone NOT use utube for this?  (Which it has)

Wman1996 said:

-No Internet Browser - isn't relevant now to have a browser on your console When every other device existing in the world could do a way better job

-No Netflix - not relevant, already included in almost 100% of current TV's

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U - meh

-No Virtual Console - there are plenty of old 8 and 16 bit games + NES/SNES apps, there is no need for the old formula to be brought back

-No Themes - yep

-No Folders - yep

-Achievement System - don't really see the point

-Party Chat/Friend Invites - yep, could be easier

-Ethernet (on the dock at least) - already exists