Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

Mnementh said:
COKTOE said:
Can you send messages via text yet?

Nope.

🤕🤕🤕. Figured. I want to go off on that. Again. I'll just say that the continued absence of messaging, perhaps the most basic console staple features of the last 20 years takes away a LOT of both fun and practical functionality, as well as being a social roadblock. Ludicrous.



Chinese food for breakfast

 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
method114 said:

I like achivements wish Nintendo would get on board with that. If people don't want them that's fine just turn off the notification and ignore them but you should always give your consumer more options not less.

The issue with achievements is that they breed a shitty culture surrounding games, where a lot of people will buy a game just to get the achievements, and a lot of people will obsess over playing a game until they "Platinum" it even if they're not enjoying it anymore (or never were to begin with). Of course, that's something anyone can just turn off, but it's just kinda annoying when that sort of thing starts popping up in your gaming community. As a system-wide feature, I can't see anything good to come from it, like, at all. If a developer really wants their game to have achievements, they can just make them in-game, like a lot of them already do, and I like it better that way, because for some games it's nice to have that sort of thing, but not for all of them.

Its nothing wrong with playing games just for the achivements. Its just the way somebody plays the games he/she/it likes. Maybe we just should give people freedom of having fun with products they like. Of course if this is somehow a life addiction and is causing individual problems it should be treated. In my opinion this problem will be connected to a very small % of gamers. 



Ardormor said:
mZuzek said:

The issue with achievements is that they breed a shitty culture surrounding games, where a lot of people will buy a game just to get the achievements, and a lot of people will obsess over playing a game until they "Platinum" it even if they're not enjoying it anymore (or never were to begin with). Of course, that's something anyone can just turn off, but it's just kinda annoying when that sort of thing starts popping up in your gaming community. As a system-wide feature, I can't see anything good to come from it, like, at all. If a developer really wants their game to have achievements, they can just make them in-game, like a lot of them already do, and I like it better that way, because for some games it's nice to have that sort of thing, but not for all of them.

Its nothing wrong with playing games just for the achivements. Its just the way somebody plays the games he/she/it likes. Maybe we just should give people freedom of having fun with products they like. Of course if this is somehow a life addiction and is causing individual problems it should be treated. In my opinion this problem will be connected to a very small % of gamers. 

I guess.



Ardormor said:
mZuzek said:

The issue with achievements is that they breed a shitty culture surrounding games, where a lot of people will buy a game just to get the achievements, and a lot of people will obsess over playing a game until they "Platinum" it even if they're not enjoying it anymore (or never were to begin with). Of course, that's something anyone can just turn off, but it's just kinda annoying when that sort of thing starts popping up in your gaming community. As a system-wide feature, I can't see anything good to come from it, like, at all. If a developer really wants their game to have achievements, they can just make them in-game, like a lot of them already do, and I like it better that way, because for some games it's nice to have that sort of thing, but not for all of them.

Its nothing wrong with playing games just for the achivements. Its just the way somebody plays the games he/she/it likes. Maybe we just should give people freedom of having fun with products they like. Of course if this is somehow a life addiction and is causing individual problems it should be treated. In my opinion this problem will be connected to a very small % of gamers. 

Developers can design games with gimmicks like achievements in them if they want to. Nintendo shouldn't force it like Microsoft did, that would be retarded in 2020.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 July 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Ardormor said:
mZuzek said:

The issue with achievements is that they breed a shitty culture surrounding games, where a lot of people will buy a game just to get the achievements, and a lot of people will obsess over playing a game until they "Platinum" it even if they're not enjoying it anymore (or never were to begin with). Of course, that's something anyone can just turn off, but it's just kinda annoying when that sort of thing starts popping up in your gaming community. As a system-wide feature, I can't see anything good to come from it, like, at all. If a developer really wants their game to have achievements, they can just make them in-game, like a lot of them already do, and I like it better that way, because for some games it's nice to have that sort of thing, but not for all of them.

Its nothing wrong with playing games just for the achivements. Its just the way somebody plays the games he/she/it likes. Maybe we just should give people freedom of having fun with products they like. Of course if this is somehow a life addiction and is causing individual problems it should be treated. In my opinion this problem will be connected to a very small % of gamers. 

But, that's just it.  Once you buy a game, you are completely free to have as little or as much fun as you like.  You don't (and shouldn't) need an achievement system to tell you that you are having fun.  And, playing a game shouldn't feel like work.  If you're playing a game that features multiple weapons for example, it's fun to sample each of them as you like according to your own style or preference.  But, to be told you have to use each one a specific # of times isn't my idea of fun.  And, I don't see how that accentuates anyone's play experience (except to satisfy some need to add those arbitrary Gamerpoints to their arbitrary Gamerscore total).



Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Wman1996 said:

Nintendo is my favorite video game publisher of all-time. They've had some very enjoyable consoles as well. I'm not merely here to spread doom and gloom. But Nintendo can use humbling and constructive criticism. We're over 3 years into the Switch's lifespan, and we still don't have basic features that were on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. That isn't even mentioning simple features from other consoles that could be included.

-No Internet Browser

-No Netflix

-No Activity Log like the 3DS or even Daily Log like the Wii U

-No Virtual Console

-No Themes

-No Folders

And then there are easy things they could add to a console with the specs of the Switch, but they don't.

-Achievement System

-Party Chat/Friend Invites

-Ethernet (on the dock at least)

I know a lot of you will say that you don't care about most, or any of these features. And that's fine. But there are tons of people who do care. I'll side with players who want things like this when it doesn't bother anyone else at all in the process. I shouldn't have to pull out my smartphone or laptop for chat and looking up strategies for games.

Not one of these is a basic feature, several aren't even gaming system features.

I think if a potato like the Wii had some form of Netflix and Internet Browser, it's very basic and the industry standard. If the majority of video game hardware that gets released has something, it's basic feature and industry standard. 

Ethernet, while not ever built into Nintendo hardware, is an industry standard for video game hardware. Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS3, PS4, PS TV, and PS5 all have ethernet ports. Even small-scale crowdfunded hardware like Ouya and Atari VCS does.

You don't have to care about the features. You don't ever have to use them. But almost all are basic and gaming industry standard features.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

And I think they aren't gonna add anything you listed, some of those features were on the previous generations and I think they didnt see benefit in adding them, specially now that Switch is selling like crazy without them, so they must think "why bother"?.



I know... my English sucks.

Mandalore76 said:
Ardormor said:

Its nothing wrong with playing games just for the achivements. Its just the way somebody plays the games he/she/it likes. Maybe we just should give people freedom of having fun with products they like. Of course if this is somehow a life addiction and is causing individual problems it should be treated. In my opinion this problem will be connected to a very small % of gamers. 

But, that's just it.  Once you buy a game, you are completely free to have as little or as much fun as you like.  You don't (and shouldn't) need an achievement system to tell you that you are having fun.  And, playing a game shouldn't feel like work.  If you're playing a game that features multiple weapons for example, it's fun to sample each of them as you like according to your own style or preference.  But, to be told you have to use each one a specific # of times isn't my idea of fun.  And, I don't see how that accentuates anyone's play experience (except to satisfy some need to add those arbitrary Gamerpoints to their arbitrary Gamerscore total).

I don't care about achievements, but I also think it's understandable that people would want them on the Switch. Just because you (and I) don't see how having them accentuates anyone's play experience doesn't mean that it doesn't accentuate their play experience. Based on sales I imagine this isn't a big issue for Nintendo or most of their audience though, so I doubt they'll add achievements anytime soon.



Wman1996 said:
Jumpin said:

Not one of these is a basic feature, several aren't even gaming system features.

I think if a potato like the Wii had some form of Netflix and Internet Browser, it's very basic and the industry standard. If the majority of video game hardware that gets released has something, it's basic feature and industry standard. 

Ethernet, while not ever built into Nintendo hardware, is an industry standard for video game hardware. Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS3, PS4, PS TV, and PS5 all have ethernet ports. Even small-scale crowdfunded hardware like Ouya and Atari VCS does.

You don't have to care about the features. You don't ever have to use them. But almost all are basic and gaming industry standard features.

Netflix is an application, not a feature.

Ethernet's probably the closest example of a basic feature on that list, but it's not basic because WiFi has made it unnecessary since the Wii. Also, it's available as an add-on for the Switch.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Ethernet's probably the closest example of a basic feature on that list, but it's not basic because WiFi has made it unnecessary since the Wii. Also, it's available as an add-on for the Switch.

Yeah, ethernet is completely unnecessary. Smash online on WiFi is already such a smooth experience.