By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Would you date someone from the opposite side of the political spectrum?

Would you?

Yes 23 47.92%

No 25 52.08%

Total:48

I used to date a girl for a couple of weeks, back in the days, and in all honesty, it never came up at first. Then I quickly found out that she has some VERY strong opinions about the holocaust, racism, and homophobia. And when I say strong opinions, I mean she was pretty much a neo-nazi. She was pretty hot, but man that was a blow. After getting into a pretty big fight where I did not hold back (at all, and only verbally of course) we decided to go our separate ways.

It wasn't a big deal, as it was like a 2 weeks long fling and we only just started to experiment on a sexual level, but man it made me realize that only physical attraction is simply NOT enough. So yeah, I doubt it...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

No. I have no interest in apologize for my existence 20 times a day.

If we are talking about authoritarian vs liberal scale: No

I'm very very liberal. Couldn't stand to date someone conservative. They aren't enough appealing to me to even to befriend them, let alone date them

Wouldn't mind to date a libertarian though (someone who is liberal, but defends free market, minimum state, etc). I actually like them a lot. Unlike social policies and moral guide-lining I'm really accepting with economics duality/diversity, as I see it as a science in first place and much less philosophy. My moral compass just don't get triggered by any possible differences in economic policies, I try to always speak logically and objectively and try to see the person's point of view is this field

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 27 July 2020

I'm leftist, my wife is right-wing. I just avoid talking about politics at home with her because she can't see the whole picture and as a result blames the wrong people for stuff all the time, which always infuriates me.

Ideological differences usually don’t end well. Each side won’t back down and will lead to conflict.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Dated a girl for a while that turned out to be pretty racist,it's a very conflicting thing to do because love does not suddenly switch off and you feel like you yourself are a bad person for loving someone with those thoughts.
I tried to ''change'' her,stupid young me and good that we broke up cause her family was not really accepting of me.(Too darkskinned)

Differing opinions on certain issues is natural. But if somebody is too far from my political beliefs, I don't think it would work in a romantic relationship. I couldn't date/marry someone who has problems with LGBT rights, is a war hawk, considers racism not a big issue, denies climate change, is for massive corporation tax cuts and high income tax cuts, etc. Anyone of those qualities would probably be a deal-breaker. But start putting several of them together and it really falls apart.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Immersiveunreality said:

Dated a girl for a while that turned out to be pretty racist,it's a very conflicting thing to do because love does not suddenly switch off and you feel like you yourself are a bad person for loving someone with those thoughts.
I tried to ''change'' her,stupid young me and good that we broke up cause her family was not really accepting of me.(Too darkskinned)

It can work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg

KLXVER said:
Immersiveunreality said:

It can work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg

Kinda funny vid, i can already hear the screaming from the twittermob.

Just identifying with the other party wouldn't be a deal breaker, but holding certain positions/supporting certain politicians would.