By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Would you date someone from the opposite side of the political spectrum?

Would you?

Yes 23 47.92%

No 25 52.08%

Total:48

As someone who usually leans slightly left, I’d never date a far-left liberal, let alone a far-right conservative. The extremists on both far sides are all lunatics who can’t be reasoned with one way or the other.

If she leaned slightly right. As long as she’s reasonable, logical, and shares a similar sense of morality (something that goes beyond politics) as I do, I’m willing to give it a shot if she is.

Around the Network

Most women don't have a political view. You shoudl be worried if they want botox upgrades .

Yes I would, provided they can be Adult about it and understand that people have different views and perspectives.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Even in the olden days, the Golden Age Of Rock, maybe, at best. As my future roommate Vivster alluded to to however, no Trumpettes. Total boner killer.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

vivster said:
curl-6 said:

Civil rights and healthcare shouldn't be political, but sadly the reality is that one's stance on them is often determined by one's political position.

They really aren't though. If someone treats it as if it was political because their party of choice mandates it, that person has failed as a human being, because they lack both compassion and cognitive ability. It's not a political position to deny someone their human rights, it's an asshole position.

Exactly right. Seen people on both sides of politics who share similar views on racism homophobia etc.  At the end of the day this is beyond politics. 

I am yet to meet a woman who openly discusses politics. They are more content driven on social justice issues and rarely mention oh I think we need better politicians because they do not align with my views. 

Also with social media so embedded in our lives, how many people actually genuinely have the views they portray on social media?  Seen so many people on the band wagon of the latest issue just so they can put up selfies with lots of hash tags. Talk to them outside of that, they not even interested in discussing the topic or having a debate about it.

Around the Network

It all depends on what you call opposite side. I can certainly date someone of different opinion, but since I'm a minarquist if you consider the opposite of it someone that wants a totalitarian government with zero freedom and individual rights no I wouldn't date someone as crazy as that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I love that in the thread and most social media being right wing already mean being racist, homophobic, etc.

At the same time we have the moral highground, monopoly of virtue and the claim that those topics aren't political... It is very odd.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cobretti2 said:
vivster said:

They really aren't though. If someone treats it as if it was political because their party of choice mandates it, that person has failed as a human being, because they lack both compassion and cognitive ability. It's not a political position to deny someone their human rights, it's an asshole position.

Exactly right. Seen people on both sides of politics who share similar views on racism homophobia etc.  At the end of the day this is beyond politics. 

I am yet to meet a woman who openly discusses politics. They are more content driven on social justice issues and rarely mention oh I think we need better politicians because they do not align with my views. 

Also with social media so embedded in our lives, how many people actually genuinely have the views they portray on social media?  Seen so many people on the band wagon of the latest issue just so they can put up selfies with lots of hash tags. Talk to them outside of that, they not even interested in discussing the topic or having a debate about it.

I used to have a Tinder account for a while and the amount of girls that take selfies with poor african children is ridiculous,like it is some form of entertainment to use them as a set piece to show they ''care'' and lift themselves up.

Meanwhile the kids wont get a cent from them.

DonFerrari said:

I love that in the thread and most social media being right wing already mean being racist, homophobic, etc.

If you're referring to my posts, I never meant to imply that right wing = racist and/or homophobic. I know many right wing folks, including friends, who are neither, and are good people.

There is however a distinct overlap in my experience between far-right ideology and homophobia/racism.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 July 2020

I know I'm only discussing semantics here, but guys, civil rights ARE political. Politics means a process of discussion, choices and decision making in a group, community or society. Politics are also about the dynamics of power and influence these groups have among themselves

Sure, we expect a overall agreement for some subjects: Should slavery remains illegal? I really hope everyone to agree, but even if 100% of humanity agrees still a choice made in group, hence a political decision

Should governments provide healthcare? Political decision. How should they provide their healthcare? Political decision.

Just don't be afraid to call politics as it is. There is so much negativity surrounding that word, and I think politicians are to blame. No one wants association with how politicians do politics so people are eager to call their movements and visions "apolitical" and use words like "humanist" instead