By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Would you date someone from the opposite side of the political spectrum?

Would you?

Yes 23 47.92%

No 25 52.08%

Total:48

If the difference is economic issues, yes. If the difference is civil rights issues, absolutely not.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
If the difference is economic issues, yes. If the difference is civil rights issues, absolutely not.

Yeah I feel this is about the same for me.

I lean left myself; I could date someone who leaned right economically, (I doubt it'd ever even come up in conversation) but I don't think I could reconcile with someone far-right who was homophobic or racist.

I think the closest I've come to the thread topic myself was when I dated a girl from mainland China. I just made a point of never bringing up politics with her as I sensed it could be something of a minefield given the vast differences between our countries.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 July 2020

curl-6 said:
SanAndreasX said:

I lean left myself; I could date someone who leaned right economically, (I doubt it'd ever even come up in conversation) but I don't think I could reconcile with someone who was homophobic or racist.

I think the closest I've come to the thread topic myself was when I dated a girl from mainland China. I just made a point of never bringing up politics with her as I sensed it could be something of a minefield given the vast differences between our countries.

You're highlighting the actual problem right there. Homophobia and racism have absolutely nothing to do with politics. Neither have civil rights or healthcare. The US is one of the only countries in the world that makes those things seem political because one party supports crimes against humanity while the other doesn't. If you talk about extremism and socipathy then you're no longer talking about politics, which makes your question moot.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
curl-6 said:

I lean left myself; I could date someone who leaned right economically, (I doubt it'd ever even come up in conversation) but I don't think I could reconcile with someone who was homophobic or racist.

You're highlighting the actual problem right there. Homophobia and racism have absolutely nothing to do with politics. Neither have civil rights or healthcare. The US is one of the only countries in the world that makes those things seem political because one party supports crimes against humanity while the other doesn't. If you talk about extremism and socipathy then you're no longer talking about politics, which makes your question moot.

Civil rights and healthcare shouldn't be political, but sadly the reality is that one's stance on them is often determined by one's political position.

curl-6 said:
vivster said:

Civil rights and healthcare shouldn't be political, but sadly the reality is that one's stance on them is often determined by one's political position.

They really aren't though. If someone treats it as if it was political because their party of choice mandates it, that person has failed as a human being, because they lack both compassion and cognitive ability. It's not a political position to deny someone their human rights, it's an asshole position.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

What’s the opposite side of the center?

vivster said:
curl-6 said:

They really aren't though. If someone treats it as if it was political because their party of choice mandates it, that person has failed as a human being, because they lack both compassion and cognitive ability. It's not a political position to deny someone their human rights, it's an asshole position.

I mean I agree it's an arsehole position to oppose someone having civil rights, but that doesn't mean it's not also a political position, if that discrimination is ideologically motivated. Politics can be unethical or inhumane.

Nope. Not saying we have to agree on everything political, but if that person was on the opposite side, it wouldn't work. It's not a topic you can avoid forever, so if it got brought up, we'd probably clash. 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

So like a totalitarian right-winger?
It could be entertaining.

But I'm married with 4 kids, I don't need a 5th =P

Honestly though, I'm a simple man, I was always more about looks than politics when it came to going on dates.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

To an extend I would. I have both left-wing and right-wing opinions, depending on the issue, it is not like I think there is only one correct opinion on issues. However, there are extremist views that I would just not tolerate. I would probably not date a radical-left wing anarchist nor a right-wing suppremecist.

This might be political incorrect to say though, but in recent years, extremism in the west has almost exclusively been a problem on the right.