By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Would you date someone from the opposite side of the political spectrum?

Would you?

Yes 23 47.92%

No 25 52.08%

Total:48

Not sure what this results implies lol

Around the Network

Honestly, I've never met a lesbian or a bi woman who was a hard-headed social conservative or a Trump supporter before, so the OP's inquiry is a totally hypothetical one for me. Never met an (out) lesbian or bi woman who opposed gay rights or considered herself an anti-feminist either, shockingly.

That said, my community voted 81% for Trump in 2016 and people all kinda know each other a little here, so I mean living here, you learn to get along with people like that and that they are, in fact, human beings. (Well...most of them anyway.) Thus, hypothetically yeah, I can imagine dating someone who was like that. As long as they're not super pushy to the point of like insisting that I should agree with them on immigration policy or Brett Kavanaugh because that's not going to happen. I do have experience dating women who were like libertarians and against gun control and that sort of thing and those things haven't proven to be a real problem. I'm not one of those people for whom opinion on tax policy is a dividing line issue.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 01 August 2020

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Indeed I am aware that prejudice exists on the left as well; I only bring up the right because I was talking about a hypothetical opposite to myself, and since I lean left, my hypothetical opposite would be on the right.

i certainly understand you talking only about hypotetical right, the problem was you automatically associating that with biggotry and other bad stuff that are independent of political inclination. Like if you put the hypotetical person against same sex marriage or stuff like that I could agree, because that is a common point for a lot of conservatives, but that doesn't necessarily means that person is homophobic.

Okay, I'll bite; opposing same sex marriage is denying someone (or rather, millions of people) equal civil rights based on their sexuality. How is that not homophobic? 

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

i certainly understand you talking only about hypotetical right, the problem was you automatically associating that with biggotry and other bad stuff that are independent of political inclination. Like if you put the hypotetical person against same sex marriage or stuff like that I could agree, because that is a common point for a lot of conservatives, but that doesn't necessarily means that person is homophobic.

Okay, I'll bite; opposing same sex marriage is denying someone (or rather, millions of people) equal civil rights based on their sexuality. How is that not homophobic? 

There is no bite. It may be hypocrite thinking on their part due to religious thinking, same as they not wanting multiple people wedding and while still having a mistress. Those silly things about the santity of marriage and what the bible says. That doesn't mean they hate gay people or deny their existence. Sure for me it is a very silly and pointless thing to deny same sex people to marry, but it doesn't equate homophobe. I know this is toss around a lot and is dimissed very fast but it isn't unusual for these people to have family or friends that they love and are gay while not wanting the government to approve same sex marriage (yes it is strange and stupid but happens, people are generally stupid). We even have a lot of openly gay couple that oppose same sex marriage and say those should be reserved for heterosexual that wants to make a family under god and have their own children instead of adopting (yes those are very few people, still I now some). Again the things aren't black and white, it doesn't go from being pro gay to anti-gay, it have a very broad scale in between. And just to remind I'm in favor of the government not regulating who or whom many may marry if they are all over 18 year old without serious mental disease.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

There is no bite. It may be hypocrite thinking on their part due to religious thinking, same as they not wanting multiple people wedding and while still having a mistress. Those silly things about the santity of marriage and what the bible says. That doesn't mean they hate gay people or deny their existence. Sure for me it is a very silly and pointless thing to deny same sex people to marry, but it doesn't equate homophobe. I know this is toss around a lot and is dimissed very fast but it isn't unusual for these people to have family or friends that they love and are gay while not wanting the government to approve same sex marriage (yes it is strange and stupid but happens, people are generally stupid). We even have a lot of openly gay couple that oppose same sex marriage and say those should be reserved for heterosexual that wants to make a family under god and have their own children instead of adopting (yes those are very few people, still I now some). Again the things aren't black and white, it doesn't go from being pro gay to anti-gay, it have a very broad scale in between. And just to remind I'm in favor of the government not regulating who or whom many may marry if they are all over 18 year old without serious mental disease.

If a person wants to stop an entire class of people from marrying though, I think that at least on some level, they must be averse to that group. Otherwise why even care. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 August 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

If a person wants to stop an entire class of people from marrying though, I think that at least on some level, they must be averse to that group. Otherwise why even care. 

Sure it is a reasonable rationale, but again even some gay folks think that way. Your line of thinking would also make most of the minority movements biggots themselves because the care a lot and usually are very anti the people on the majorities that their groups are considered minority (a very big portion of notorious and outspoken feminists are very misandric, a lot of black minority leaders give a lot of anti-white speach, leaders of gays right movements put a lot of attack against religion and religious group, etc). I would guess a lot of times a portion of those against gay marriage isn't because of the act in itself (which as I said others against would just be because of "santity" of marriage), but because of wrong belief against what the leadership of those movements align with so they don't want to give away an inch. And finally, someone being right wing or republican, doesn't mean it is a caricature or even oppose gay marriage. For example what do you think about demanding that churches celebrate the gay marriage?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Sure it is a reasonable rationale, but again even some gay folks think that way. Your line of thinking would also make most of the minority movements biggots themselves because the care a lot and usually are very anti the people on the majorities that their groups are considered minority (a very big portion of notorious and outspoken feminists are very misandric, a lot of black minority leaders give a lot of anti-white speach, leaders of gays right movements put a lot of attack against religion and religious group, etc). I would guess a lot of times a portion of those against gay marriage isn't because of the act in itself (which as I said others against would just be because of "santity" of marriage), but because of wrong belief against what the leadership of those movements align with so they don't want to give away an inch. And finally, someone being right wing or republican, doesn't mean it is a caricature or even oppose gay marriage. For example what do you think about demanding that churches celebrate the gay marriage?

Gay people can be homophobic; there's such a thing as internalized prejudice and self-hate. And I can't claim to speak for any minority group except those I'm a member of myself.

I've also clearly said in previous posts that not all conservatives are homophobic, I personally know many who are not. As far as churches and same sex marriages, that's not really a big issue where I live; since same sex marriage was legalized here by popular vote in 2017, we've just kind of gotten on with it and it's hardly even spoken about any more.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Religion is a very powerful brainwashing tool. You can't reason with it if they believe that marriage is a religious thing between a man and a woman. This does not mean that they hate gay people but rather truly believe by God's word it cannot happen.

Some countries have child marriage for example, which technically is a class of people as it is embedded in their culture. Would you argue to allow that in a modern civilized world as you are excluding? Sadly it is a fairly complex issue and the morality of it depends on how a country sees it as what is bad and what is good and religion has a part to play in that too.

In reality marriage is an outdated concept that shouldn't be tied to Law/Politics and what should really matter is the legal rights that people have when they choose to live together as a couple. When I got married I didn't feel like I suddenly had all these extra perks, neither dd my wife (perhaps we been together so long it didn't feel different). In reality it is more a celebration of love than anything else these days as many women are now fully self sufficient and employed.

In the past marriage felt more like a woman signing a contract to a man as the woman would be under a man's protection as he was the one that worked and the woman would stay home raising the man's offspring. Go back further in time and it was a way to join powerful families together lol.

PS - It is almost 3am so apologises if I went on a side rant here

Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:

Religion is a very powerful brainwashing tool. You can't reason with it if they believe that marriage is a religious thing between a man and a woman. This does not mean that they hate gay people but rather truly believe by God's word it cannot happen.

Some countries have child marriage for example, which technically is a class of people as it is embedded in their culture. Would you argue to allow that in a modern civilized world as you are excluding? Sadly it is a fairly complex issue and the morality of it depends on how a country sees it as what is bad and what is good and religion has a part to play in that too.

In reality marriage is an outdated concept that shouldn't be tied to Law/Politics and what should really matter is the legal rights that people have when they choose to live together as a couple. When I got married I didn't feel like I suddenly had all these extra perks, neither dd my wife (perhaps we been together so long it didn't feel different). In reality it is more a celebration of love than anything else these days as many women are now fully self sufficient and employed.

In the past marriage felt more like a woman signing a contract to a man as the woman would be under a man's protection as he was the one that worked and the woman would stay home raising the man's offspring. Go back further in time and it was a way to join powerful families together lol.

Religiously motivated aversion/discrimination is still aversion/discrimination.

And child marriage is not remotely analogous; same sex couples getting married are adults whose brains have developed to the point of them being capable of informed consent.

Also, just for once, it'd be nice to be able to talk about same sex marriage without it being compared to everything from child marriage to pedophilia to bestiality. Besides being specious, it's also quite disrespectful.

I do actually agree that marriage itself is a somewhat outdated concept, but as long as it's a thing, same sex couples deserve the same civil rights.

I guess this is a good example of an issue that would be a dealbreaker for me, if a partner supported discrimination against same sex couples.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 August 2020

curl-6 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Religiously motivated aversion/discrimination is still aversion/discrimination.

And child marriage is not remotely analogous; same sex couples getting married are adults whose brains have developed to the point of them being capable of informed consent.

Also, just for once, it'd be nice to be able to talk about same sex marriage without it being compared to everything from child marriage to pedophilia to bestiality. Besides being specious, it's also quite disrespectful.

I do actually agree that marriage itself is a somewhat outdated concept, but as long as it's a thing, same sex couples deserve the same civil rights.

I guess this is a good example of an issue that would be a dealbreaker for me, if a partner supported discrimination against same sex couples.

I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. Just pointing out that when someone is brainwashed in a belief (right or wrong) you can't really do much about it to change them and therefore it is a waste of time. The best you can do is hope that as the next generation comes along they are better educated and start to come up with their own views. This is why I also used the child marriage as an example. Overtime most countries have gone beyond that and only time allowed for that to happen. Hence why gay marriage as an example is at various stages in different countries as it takes time for change to happen. 

For me a civil union is what protects people by law. Hence why I think marriage is a bit outdated concept as what is the extra benefit of a marriage in terms of law? Nothing that I can think of and hopefully it goes away one day lol.

I guess it would kill a few industries though because these days people spending 20K-100K on the 'perfect' wedding and even trying to out do their friends.

I will end it with this (and it may sound bad), no straight male should ever fear homosexuality for the simple fact that the more there are the less competition a guy has in finding a woman. Surely that is a no brainer? We aren't all great looking roosters so take any advantage you can get lol. The other option we have to improve our odds is start another war. Send off all the roid raged blokes to war, let them kill each other, then the male herd is thinned out where you are left with a scenario similar to come countries in WW2 where women outnumber men 2-3 to 1.