By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Last generation for physical copies? Capcom: Game sales are 80% digital, and rising

Yeah, I brought this up when EA first broke 50% digital some time ago. Guess it really depends on what percentage we get to toward the end of the generation. The PS6 may be all digital, though I expect Nintendo to hold out for an extra generation.

Around the Network

I think it is a near certainty that this is the last generation for physical media. I was all physical until just a few years ago. But, even for me the convenience of digital has begun to sway me. I'm around 2/3 physical now, and trending down.

The day will come when physical copies MSRP is marked up significantly higher than digital simply because they aren't making much money off them.

Indeed I've had the same thought in mind - but how much would you estimate such an increase to be? Can't quite wrap my head around it, perhaps 4 dollars or 5? How much is "significantly higher"?

Edit: geez, it's been ages since I posted and it shows. Should've used the 'quote' tag. This is directed @Dulfite

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Yup I doubt physical is going to last much longer. There m8ght still be disk skus for backward compatibility purposes with physical disks but most games will be all digital in a few years.

Around the Network

Are they counting that as a part of half the game is a download on physical copies on some games?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

IIrc FFVII Remake was and still is £60 digital (which was equivalent to about $75), while you could pick the damn thing up £40-£50 physical. If consoles ever did go all digital, I would hope the price of the digital games would at least come down to match what would have been the price of the physical copies, because as of right now, that all digital console life is looking pretty silly expensive.

We've got one more generation of discs imo, which equates to aboot 15 years. Capcom is 80% but Playstation is as whole said 50% of games were bought digitally.

Lets assume that ends at 80% in 2027 and thats still a huge market for console makers to risk loosing to competitors.

Hiku said:
NyanNyanNekoChan said:
IIrc FFVII Remake was and still is £60 digital (which was equivalent to about $75), while you could pick the damn thing up £40-£50 physical. If consoles ever did go all digital, I would hope the price of the digital games would at least come down to match what would have been the price of the physical copies, because as of right now, that all digital console life is looking pretty silly expensive.

I forget exactly what the given reasoning for higher cost digital versions at launch was, but it supposedly had something to do with not wanting to undercut the physical version for some reason.

On the flipside though, after launch you can commonly get some amazing deals for the digital versions.
But yeah, if that were to happen I hope they're better priced at launch.

Yeah, with some patience gaming is pretty cheap.

whatever the case, it's always Capcom's fault