By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Last generation for physical copies? Capcom: Game sales are 80% digital, and rising

With hundreds and hundreds of physical games in my library last gen, I thought I'd never go digital. Then I got a PSP and didn't want to deal with fragile UMDs. Only a handful of times did I ever go digital (unless a game was digital only) last gen or early 8th gen. I was a collector.

I think it was when I got my second XBO and realized the benefits of digital. Been 100% digital every since.

Around the Network
OneTime said:
Ah well, no cheap second hand stuff for me anymore I guess. No more games as birthday presents. You can't even resell the console if the games are linked to a user account.

Maybe in the PC world. I don't know. I own a least two of every major home and portable console released since 2005 (except Ouya--i only own one) and I've never had any issues with digital.

Well, Lost Winds on Wii wouldn't transfer and be Animal Crossing on switch won't let me transfer save data but that's it. Out of literally thousands of games purchased, I think that's okay.

vivster said:

We can only hope so.

Why? Huge amount of game collectors out there ,why spoil there fun?

Less options is never a good thing.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Limitedrungames " we have 100%physical vs digital ratio"
Sony said 50% of the ps4 games are sold physical. 1bill+ gamsz have been sold, thats 500MILLION physical games.

Yea physical is going NOWHERE.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Capcom is one of those companies that releases their physical Switch games as priced insanely high, with only half the game on the cartridge, and quick sale prices for the digital version. So of course their digital take is going to be 80%. They are hamstringing their physical sales on purpose, just so they can come to the conclusion of this very thread's OP.

Dulfite said:
The day will come when physical copies MSRP is marked up significantly higher than digital simply because they aren't making much money off them.

Hopefully that will be due to Digital game prices falling, and not publishers being dicks to physical customers. Digital AAA games really need to sell for $45 on release day, considering how much of digital sales revenue goes directly to the publisher.

Around the Network

We're attacking Capcom and maybe they deserve it (I have so many Capcom Switch releases, I can't be mad at them) but let's not forget that Nintendo has been pushing digital sales themselves. Be it low release numbers for copies of certain games or the fact that you get a percentage of credit (I think it was ten percent) towards the purchase of your next digital game every time you buy a digital title, it's the direction that they seem to want us to go as well.

As long as pricing from digital stores goes down. You can pre-order Ghost of Tsushima for £45 from certain high street stores, it's £55 on the PS store and that includes no packaging or resale value.

Hmm, pie.

Zisbest said:

Indeed I've had the same thought in mind - but how much would you estimate such an increase to be? Can't quite wrap my head around it, perhaps 4 dollars or 5? How much is "significantly higher"?

Edit: geez, it's been ages since I posted and it shows. Should've used the 'quote' tag. This is directed @Dulfite

Oh I think much higher than that. If it really is 80/20 across the industry, then companies won't get discounts for creating bulk cases, printing bulk art covers and manuals, or creating bulk discs/cartridges. Everything is cheaper when you buy 100 million of them, but now your only buying 20 million?

And the industry hasn't really adjusted for any of that decrease so far but I suspect it is coming. I'm thinking in the next decade we could see 25-50% higher MSRP on physical copies.

Statistics like this never paint the full picture.
For one they obviously include digital only games which is on the rise due to indie style games as well as ports of past gen games releasing only as digital options.

Secondly, its good to know physical sales this gen vs previous gen. The way I see it is overall software sales have increased exponentially this gen vs last (at least for Ninty and Sony). So if previous gen digital was 30% and this gen its 50% its doeant mean physical sales have gone down, at least not by much.

And the past couple of quarters have been affected by COVID

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I think only Nintendo will support it