By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Last generation for physical copies? Capcom: Game sales are 80% digital, and rising

Hiku said:
SvennoJ said:
Just as it's the last generation for records!

That'll probably take a long time. CD players don't get outdated, and boomers don't know how to add digital music to their playlist.

I don't know how to find anything anymore in my libraries of digital games, it's a mess: Steam, Gog, Origin, MS store, Humble bundles, PSN library, standalone digital games. I can find any physical game around the house in 10 seconds...

Physical editions will continue to exist but move more towards special editions bringing back the extras. The question is will game stores be able to survive much longer and where am I going to get my console and games from when they disappear. I guess games are fine to order online but consoles :/

Around the Network

I've been hearing this for a while now, since last gen and I dont know. It does seem like the natural progression of console gaming so I dont feel educated enough to contest that, however, theres this: Where im from, digital games are more expensive than physical games. As of now if I want to buy Breath of the Wild in the Nintendo Online store it costs $60 plus a local tax, so its about $65. I can buy that game physically for $45 brand new. Its not tha different with playstation online prices, tho they usually have more sales. But all in all, thats what worries me.

All Digital except collecters editions next gen

SammyGiireal said:
Digital has been trending higher percentages steadily throughout the generation, but COVID-19 is what has accelerated the growth. I prefer physical, (though on Xbox One X the advantages in storage are negated by the massive 4k downloads) for storage, and collectible purposes. But since COVID-19 I have been buying digital save for once that I had to go to Walmart and saw a copy of Gears of War 4 with (the 360 games for free) included on sale for 15 dollars. Still the Xbox One X Download Even with the disc is like 118gb so...so much for that.

Just imagine what next gen will be like... and with ssd... very expensive to upgrade your storage...

I have stuck to physical as much as possible for collector and resale reasons. But happily augment that with the occasional digital release... But I am probably an exception, not the rule.

On PC I am 100% digital.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

And they still want to raise the price of the games while delivering less product. The nerve.
The day they go full digital is the day I'll only buy their games for under 10 USD or perhaps 5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

We can only hope so.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well to ad to the debate, When has crapcom ever released a full physical game on Switch? Hard to buy physical when the option isn't there.

Ah well, no cheap second hand stuff for me anymore I guess. No more games as birthday presents. You can't even resell the console if the games are linked to a user account.

When physical goes, I go.