By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Last generation for physical copies? Capcom: Game sales are 80% digital, and rising

We're attacking Capcom and maybe they deserve it (I have so many Capcom Switch releases, I can't be mad at them) but let's not forget that Nintendo has been pushing digital sales themselves. Be it low release numbers for copies of certain games or the fact that you get a percentage of credit (I think it was ten percent) towards the purchase of your next digital game every time you buy a digital title, it's the direction that they seem to want us to go as well.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

As long as pricing from digital stores goes down. You can pre-order Ghost of Tsushima for £45 from certain high street stores, it's £55 on the PS store and that includes no packaging or resale value.

Hmm, pie.

Zisbest said:

Indeed I've had the same thought in mind - but how much would you estimate such an increase to be? Can't quite wrap my head around it, perhaps 4 dollars or 5? How much is "significantly higher"?

Edit: geez, it's been ages since I posted and it shows. Should've used the 'quote' tag. This is directed @Dulfite

Oh I think much higher than that. If it really is 80/20 across the industry, then companies won't get discounts for creating bulk cases, printing bulk art covers and manuals, or creating bulk discs/cartridges. Everything is cheaper when you buy 100 million of them, but now your only buying 20 million?

And the industry hasn't really adjusted for any of that decrease so far but I suspect it is coming. I'm thinking in the next decade we could see 25-50% higher MSRP on physical copies.

Statistics like this never paint the full picture.
For one they obviously include digital only games which is on the rise due to indie style games as well as ports of past gen games releasing only as digital options.

Secondly, its good to know physical sales this gen vs previous gen. The way I see it is overall software sales have increased exponentially this gen vs last (at least for Ninty and Sony). So if previous gen digital was 30% and this gen its 50% its doeant mean physical sales have gone down, at least not by much.

And the past couple of quarters have been affected by COVID

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I think only Nintendo will support it

Around the Network

That's kinda sad because I prefer the physical copies to the digital

xl-klaudkil said:
vivster said:

We can only hope so.

Why? Huge amount of game collectors out there ,why spoil there fun?

Less options is never a good thing.

For the environment.

It's also a bit ironic to pull the "more options" card when talking about consoles, the epitome of artificially reduced options.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well, I've said this many times. The day gaming becomes all digital is the day I become a retro only gamer.
I just will never wrap my head around spending so much money on something that isn't tangible... I mean, I understand the convenience, but it just isn't for me.

1doesnotsimply

vivster said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Why? Huge amount of game collectors out there ,why spoil there fun?

Less options is never a good thing.

For the environment.

It's also a bit ironic to pull the "more options" card when talking about consoles, the epitome of artificially reduced options.

Which is why there are multiple console options.
It would suck to only have one console option, just like it would suck to only have one format option for games.

1doesnotsimply

My digital purchasing has certainly gone up this gen. Around a 50/50 split this gen with the Vita and PS4. The balance may have even tilted in favor of digital in terms of pure game count. However, there's no doubt I've spent way more money on physical. Literally all of my digital purchases are games on sale, and said games are sometimes smaller, digital-only games as well.

If this does end up as the last physical gen, so be it. I don't care about physical copies nearly as much as I did at the beginning of last gen. Between the realities of storing a large, growing physical collection, and the undeniable convenience of digital gaming, the change in attitude was perhaps inevitable. Impulse buys are soooo much easier on digital too. Just bought Super Blood Hockey 2 days ago at midnight while smoking a joint. You can't do that at EB Games. Then again, I don't meet any EB angels with digital...EB Games truly is the best pickup spot on Earth. Will still be buying physical for the PS5 though. Both games and movies. 👉👌💦

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."