By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony trying to shed it's "Sad Dad Games" image on PS5?

Mnementh said:
More variety is always a good thing for gamers, so if Sony tries to widen their portfolio it is surely a good thing. Props to Sony.

The irony is they already have the most "wide" library of games of the 3 console makers.
If anything I'd say its Nintendo thats changed more (with its games library offerings), with the Switch from the Wii U (to the better).

This entire thread could be the same, for the Switch.
Instead it comes off as backhanded compliment.

Anyways to me its odd, to praise Sony for "suddenly" aiming for more variety, as if not even accepting that it was already the best of the 3 in this reguard. Same with the "Sad Dad Games" image.... thats some backhanded compliments right there.

OP seems like bait, for sony fans lol.

Around the Network

Shed it's sad dad games? Lists Bloodborne, Horizon and Spiderman.

Games Sony announced, Demon's Souls, Horizon 2 and Spiderman Expansion.

Plus the Dadest game there ever daded, Gran Turismo.

OR for the last gen it's been making great games and just is releasing more. Just like Nintendo.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

Shed it's sad dad games? Lists Bloodborne, Horizon and Spiderman.

Games Sony announced, Demon's Souls, Horizon 2 and Spiderman Expansion.

Plus the Dadest game there ever daded, Gran Turismo.

OR for the last gen it's been making great games and just is releasing more. Just like Nintendo.

What people mean by that is that it's a general term applied to games that are in the style of The Last of Us, Uncharted, or God of War, not necessarily ones that literally star "Sad Dads" specifically. Big budget, third-person, movie-like spectacles with an emphasis on set-pieces, realism, and melodramatic stories. Quite a few people are kind of getting sick of this formula recently, and would like Sony to scale it back a bit for the PS5.

JRPGfan said:
Mnementh said:
More variety is always a good thing for gamers, so if Sony tries to widen their portfolio it is surely a good thing. Props to Sony.

The irony is they already have the most "wide" library of games of the 3 console makers.
If anything I'd say its Nintendo thats changed more (with its games library offerings), with the Switch from the Wii U (to the better).

Anyways to me its odd, to praise Sony for "suddenly" aiming for more variety, as if not even accepting that it was already the best of the 3 in this reguard. Same with the "Sad Dad Games" image.... thats some backhanded compliments right there.

Yes, also Nintendo and Switch have a restricted library. That was and is said again and again. Switch is missing for instance realistic sports games and racers, cinematic story driven games and big shooters like Battlefield/COD. And I probably forget some stuff.

But claiming for Sony the most variety without any shading also shows blind spots. In the PS5 presentation I personally missed japanese styled games (as JRPGfan you should've noticed), anything turn-based or strategy games. Hopefully they will show more later. On the other hand - and that is the point I agree with the OP - with R&C, Sackboys Adventure and Kena they showed already increased interest in widening the library. I agree R&C is not a new series, but it was a long time between releases and I don't remember that much spotlight as it got in the presentation. Sackboys adventure goes beyond earlier releases of Little Big Planet. So clearly that are great signs for more diversity in the library. And that is a good thing for gamers.

To come back around (so that you don't see it as a jab at Sony): clearly Nintendo could push into more gaming demographics, if they would focus on some of the areas they currently neglect. But I assume every company has limited resources.

And as you did draw the comparison with Nintendo: I personally have difficulties deciding which console (PS4 or Switch) has a more diverse library regarding genres. Because genres are quite fluid and most people have blind spots for some genres, that others see. That is why you see very different declarations about the diversity of libraries based on what each one sees as a genre. For instance I see turn-based strategy and turn-based RPG as something different. Others may put all turn-based stuff into one genre or even outright ignore the different gameplay and group it with RPG and strategy. So a lack of turn-based games I might see as a limitation of diversity, while others point to non-turn based games as covering these genres. And I can't really say which view is 'correct'. They are all relevant. But that is why I don't think it is possible to really answer which platform has the most diverse library.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The "sad dad" stigma seems to be used a lot on Gaf by trolls and people intentionally trying to bait others.
"Quite a few people" is easy to say on internet forums when you're trying to push an agenda.
If OP doesn't like Sony style games then he doesn't have to buy or play them.
Sony 1st party games are selling more than ever before, have some of the highest rated games and either win or get nominated for Game of the year awards every year.
I would say the formula is just fine and Sony is happy with it.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Leynos said:
"second to Nintendo" yeah that's why their Smash game failed was all those memorable characters such as white bald man and grey bald man and a white man with hair and another white guy with hair and guns. Oh and the other bald man. Anytime Sony tried to do what Nintendo did, it fell flat. Sorry but no. I love the PS4 and all but was not their best output at all. That is still the PS1-PS2 era. Too many first-party PS4 games kinda looked the same. Sony has never created anything as memorable or iconic as Nintendo has. Only SEGA came close with Sonic and others. Why SEGA's Kart game did better than Sony's. Capcom and other third parties from the 90s that are still remembered even by people, not into games.

Sony arguably has just as many memorable and iconic characters as Nintendo. The Problem was that PlayStation All-Stars didn't do them proper justice. It was a mediocre game with a flawed KO system, half the roster going to third party characters nobody asked for, and cheap presentation. Not the kind of treatment a cast as large and varied as PlayStation's deserved. 

While I won't argue that Sony has memorable characters they have nothing compared to Nintendo.

Nothing Sony has can compare to (to name a few): 

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Princess Peach (Toadstool)
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Yoshi
  • Pikatchu
  • Goomba
  • Pirahna Plant
  • Kirby
  • Bullet Bill

You see I could even throw in some lesser enemies that are so strongly tied to Nintendo that even my kids (3 and 5) can name what franchise they are from (without ever have played any games nor seen me play those games). 

Mnementh said:
JRPGfan said:

Yes, also Nintendo and Switch have a restricted library. That was and is said again and again. Switch is missing for instance realistic sports games and racers, cinematic story driven games and big shooters like Battlefield/COD. And I probably forget some stuff.

But claiming for Sony the most variety without any shading also shows blind spots. In the PS5 presentation I personally missed japanese styled games (as JRPGfan you should've noticed), anything turn-based or strategy games. Hopefully they will show more later. On the other hand - and that is the point I agree with the OP - with R&C, Sackboys Adventure and Kena they showed already increased interest in widening the library. I agree R&C is not a new series, but it was a long time between releases and I don't remember that much spotlight as it got in the presentation. Sackboys adventure goes beyond earlier releases of Little Big Planet. So clearly that are great signs for more diversity in the library. And that is a good thing for gamers.

To come back around (so that you don't see it as a jab at Sony): clearly Nintendo could push into more gaming demographics, if they would focus on some of the areas they currently neglect. But I assume every company has limited resources.

And as you did draw the comparison with Nintendo: I personally have difficulties deciding which console (PS4 or Switch) has a more diverse library regarding genres. Because genres are quite fluid and most people have blind spots for some genres, that others see. That is why you see very different declarations about the diversity of libraries based on what each one sees as a genre. For instance I see turn-based strategy and turn-based RPG as something different. Others may put all turn-based stuff into one genre or even outright ignore the different gameplay and group it with RPG and strategy. So a lack of turn-based games I might see as a limitation of diversity, while others point to non-turn based games as covering these genres. And I can't really say which view is 'correct'. They are all relevant. But that is why I don't think it is possible to really answer which platform has the most diverse library.

The switch has V Rally. Grid and others for realistic racing games. It has Hellblade and Telltale games and more for the story stuff. For big shooters, it has Doom/ Wolfenstein and more. It has Fifa and NBA2k RBI (The show may come later) so it does have them. What it lacks is specific franchises like Cod. The switch isn't missing any genres, just specific series.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

TheMisterManGuy said:

The PlayStation 4 was home to some of Sony Interactive Entertainment's finest output yet. Sony is only second to Nintendo in crafting some of the most iconic worlds, characters, stories and gameplay moments in the industry, and PS4 continued that trend with hit games like Uncharted 4, God of War (2018), Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Dreams, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Concrete Genie, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and upcoming titles like Ghosts of Tsushima. That said, Sony has also built up a sort of stigma surrounding SIE and its games. Many claim that most of the PS4's first party lineup consists of overbudget realistic, cinematic, third person action-adventure spectacles staring "Sad Dads".

While that is an exaggerated take, It does feel like we've seen an increased focus on these games in the last few years, and not enough of the variety that filled the days of the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, or even the earlier half of the PS4, so it's not like Sony was helping that image, hence memes like the "PlayStation Exclusive Template". PlayStation has always been known for cinematic games, even going all the way back to the original PlayStation, but many felt it was a bit too much on the PS4.

But Sony is seemingly hoping to change that with PlayStation 5, and its new "PlayStation Studios" publishing label. During its PS5 reveal broadcast, Sony showcased a number of first party PlayStation games, several of which were a bit of a departure from most of the games Sony has been putting out recently. Not only are we getting a new Ratchet & Clank entry for the first time in several years, but they also showed a 3D Little Big Planet Spin-off "Sackboy: A Big Adventure", a big new multiplayer IP "Destruction Allstars", a pack-in title "Astro's PlayRoom", and a remake of the PS3 cult hit "Demon's Souls". Of course, the trademark PlayStation style wasn't gone either, with trailers for new Spider Man and Horizon Games, as well as Housemarque's first AAA game "Returnal".

It does feel like Sony, Specifically newly appointed Worldwide Studios President, Herman Hulst, does want to try and shed that image it built up in the PS4, and show that PlayStation is more than capable of offering a large and varied lineup of games.

In what world I was when many claimed that PS is about Sad Dads games. Never heard that before. Please, share more about this situation. I really missed that.

Now, if someone could share a list of first party titles for PS4 to compare with PS5's, we could get a better insight if PS5's is really more diverse than PS4. Is far as I know, I don't think so. PS4 had Ratchet, GT, Bloodborne, Dreams, Little Big Planet, Horizon: it's a diverse lot.

About Sony being second to Nintendo in terms of classic titles, yes, but we need to remember that Nintendo started far earlier than PS and 99% of what's classic for Nintendo was created 30 years ago. In the 21st century, aside from Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Smash (kind of because it's an all-stars game), there's no Nintendo title/character that really stands out as a iconic and classic. Besides Nintendo doesn't have so many titles as many think. You always end up with just Mario 3D, Mario 2D, Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Splatoon and Animal Crossing. There are others like Xenoblade, but not really true massive blockbusters. It's not like a huge list of titles if you ask me.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Mnementh said:
JRPGfan said:

Sony has all types of games, multiple titles for any genre. That's what we can see since PS1.

PS5 has just been announced. We can't judge its library at the moment. About JRPGs, Sony wins any day. You have far more incredible and diverse JRPGs on Sony than on Nintendo. The same for any genre.

Spindel said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Sony arguably has just as many memorable and iconic characters as Nintendo. The Problem was that PlayStation All-Stars didn't do them proper justice. It was a mediocre game with a flawed KO system, half the roster going to third party characters nobody asked for, and cheap presentation. Not the kind of treatment a cast as large and varied as PlayStation's deserved. 

While I won't argue that Sony has memorable characters they have nothing compared to Nintendo.

Nothing Sony has can compare to (to name a few): 

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Princess Peach (Toadstool)
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Yoshi
  • Pikatchu
  • Goomba
  • Pirahna Plant
  • Kirby
  • Bullet Bill

You see I could even throw in some lesser enemies that are so strongly tied to Nintendo that even my kids (3 and 5) can name what franchise they are from (without ever have played any games nor seen me play those games). 

They're all characters from 30 years ago. It's great they survived, but the era when Nintendo were creating memorable characters is long gone tho. Nintendo has been just milking them for ages (which is not wrong tho).

In the last 10 years, PS has created an impressive first party library. PS is catching up with Nintendo in this regard while Nintendo is becoming more and more a thing of the past in terms of creating new iconic stuff.

Leynos said:
Mnementh said:

The switch has V Rally. Grid and others for realistic racing games. It has Hellblade and Telltale games and more for the story stuff. For big shooters, it has Doom/ Wolfenstein and more. It has Fifa and NBA2k RBI (The show may come later) so it does have them. What it lacks is specific franchises like Cod. The switch isn't missing any genres, just specific series.

Switch has improved a lot Nintendo diversity situation. But let's not forget that N64, GC, Wii and Wii U couldn't even compare against PS2, PS3 and PS4.

Now that new gen consoles are coming out, we'll see how Nintendo will cope. But even with a few titles for any genre, it's still can't compare with PS library. You can name any genre and PS will have 5x more titles than Nintendo, with a bunch of well praised titles for each genre (and with fair price, better resolution, graphics and performance).

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Who are the sad dads? Kratos, Joel and Nathan Drake?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!