By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony trying to shed it's "Sad Dad Games" image on PS5?

If we are talking about Sony first party, I like that they are putting effort into making new games.  One thing about Sony is that their new IP never really look that interesting at first to me.  It's true that Shadow of the Colossus looked awesome the first time I saw it but that is their second Team Ico game.  Ico doesn't actually seem that special at first glance.  It's the type of game that you have to play to appreciate.  The same can be said of Demon's Souls.  I didn't even consider it until after I heard the buzz about it.

But I mention Demon's Souls and the Team Ico games, because it is the new first party IP that I usually find most interesting from Sony.  For whatever reason, the titles they turn into a franchise are never the ones that I really like.  So they showed off a bunch of new types of games at their presentation.  None of them really looked interesting to me, but who knows?  There may be a few unexpected gems in there even though they didn't grab me at first.

Around the Network

This "sad dad" thing is new news to me. Joel and Kratos are the only 2 that come to mind and that's just 2 games so I don't see a problem.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
This "sad dad" thing is new news to me. Joel and Kratos are the only 2 that come to mind and that's just 2 games so I don't see a problem.

I think sad dad is the wrong term to use. I think third person, action adventure with strong cinematic focus is a little more accurate. I do think people exaggerate this a bit, but Sony has definitely been focusing on games like this a lot more in recent years and I think that some people were a little afraid that they would continue focusing more and more on games like this and less on other types of games. The ps5 reveal seems to have put that fear to rest for some people because they showed a large variety of games and had little focus on these big cinematic games.

Jabba89 said:

TheMisterManGuy said:

What people mean by that is that it's a general term applied to games that are in the style of The Last of Us, Uncharted, or God of War, not necessarily ones that literally star "Sad Dads" specifically. Big budget, third-person, movie-like spectacles with an emphasis on set-pieces, realism, and melodramatic stories. Quite a few people are kind of getting sick of this formula recently, and would like Sony to scale it back a bit for the PS5.

Quite a few people are getting sick of this formula????  Maybe a small few because Uncharted 4 and GOW did better than the last in each series, TLOU is looking to do really well also.  Your comment doesn’t seem to be very accurate.

I think this is badly formulated. Generally speaking people have different interests in all things, this includes games. So there are always gamers, which fall short on nice games to play. These people may get discontent, if they miss their favorite genre for a long time. It may happen, that this lack of favorite genres may be put on some other popular gaming genres. It is a bit unfair, but also there is a kernel of truth, as the game industry decides where to put the focus.

So I personally would pin it on sad dad games, but certain genres may be underrepresented. If these genres get more titles and exposure, no one will complain about sad dad games anymore.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

No idea what the OP is saying but Sony has always been #1 at offering the widest variety of games when it comes to their 1st party games and it doesn't look like it's slowing down any time soon.

The only thing I've noticed is that Sony has backed away from the FPS market (with Killzone Shadow Fall being the last) as they seem to rather do deals with Activision since CoD continues to dominate the FPS console market.

Around the Network

Eeeerrr for me PS4 wasn't the sad dad console and there is good variety on it. The titles showed for PS5 were sequels to those games or similar to what was on PS4;

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

*reads first paragraph*

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Mnementh said:
JRPGfan said:

The irony is they already have the most "wide" library of games of the 3 console makers.
If anything I'd say its Nintendo thats changed more (with its games library offerings), with the Switch from the Wii U (to the better).

This entire thread could be the same, for the Switch.
Instead it comes off as backhanded compliment.

Anyways to me its odd, to praise Sony for "suddenly" aiming for more variety, as if not even accepting that it was already the best of the 3 in this reguard. Same with the "Sad Dad Games" image.... thats some backhanded compliments right there.

OP seems like bait, for sony fans lol.

Yes, also Nintendo and Switch have a restricted library. That was and is said again and again. Switch is missing for instance realistic sports games and racers, cinematic story driven games and big shooters like Battlefield/COD. And I probably forget some stuff.

But claiming for Sony the most variety without any shading also shows blind spots. In the PS5 presentation I personally missed japanese styled games (as JRPGfan you should've noticed), anything turn-based or strategy games. Hopefully they will show more later. On the other hand - and that is the point I agree with the OP - with R&C, Sackboys Adventure and Kena they showed already increased interest in widening the library. I agree R&C is not a new series, but it was a long time between releases and I don't remember that much spotlight as it got in the presentation. Sackboys adventure goes beyond earlier releases of Little Big Planet. So clearly that are great signs for more diversity in the library. And that is a good thing for gamers.

To come back around (so that you don't see it as a jab at Sony): clearly Nintendo could push into more gaming demographics, if they would focus on some of the areas they currently neglect. But I assume every company has limited resources.

And as you did draw the comparison with Nintendo: I personally have difficulties deciding which console (PS4 or Switch) has a more diverse library regarding genres. Because genres are quite fluid and most people have blind spots for some genres, that others see. That is why you see very different declarations about the diversity of libraries based on what each one sees as a genre. For instance I see turn-based strategy and turn-based RPG as something different. Others may put all turn-based stuff into one genre or even outright ignore the different gameplay and group it with RPG and strategy. So a lack of turn-based games I might see as a limitation of diversity, while others point to non-turn based games as covering these genres. And I can't really say which view is 'correct'. They are all relevant. But that is why I don't think it is possible to really answer which platform has the most diverse library.

Well it is basically a strange comparison, Sony have more variety on PS4 than Switch even if we only considered third parties, the 4000+ games have all bases covered. There isn't any genre that Switch have games that PS4 wouldn't.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

What is a "Sad Dad" game? Examples please. I didn't really see any examples and have honestly not heard the term before now.

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Yes, also Nintendo and Switch have a restricted library. That was and is said again and again. Switch is missing for instance realistic sports games and racers, cinematic story driven games and big shooters like Battlefield/COD. And I probably forget some stuff.

But claiming for Sony the most variety without any shading also shows blind spots. In the PS5 presentation I personally missed japanese styled games (as JRPGfan you should've noticed), anything turn-based or strategy games. Hopefully they will show more later. On the other hand - and that is the point I agree with the OP - with R&C, Sackboys Adventure and Kena they showed already increased interest in widening the library. I agree R&C is not a new series, but it was a long time between releases and I don't remember that much spotlight as it got in the presentation. Sackboys adventure goes beyond earlier releases of Little Big Planet. So clearly that are great signs for more diversity in the library. And that is a good thing for gamers.

To come back around (so that you don't see it as a jab at Sony): clearly Nintendo could push into more gaming demographics, if they would focus on some of the areas they currently neglect. But I assume every company has limited resources.

And as you did draw the comparison with Nintendo: I personally have difficulties deciding which console (PS4 or Switch) has a more diverse library regarding genres. Because genres are quite fluid and most people have blind spots for some genres, that others see. That is why you see very different declarations about the diversity of libraries based on what each one sees as a genre. For instance I see turn-based strategy and turn-based RPG as something different. Others may put all turn-based stuff into one genre or even outright ignore the different gameplay and group it with RPG and strategy. So a lack of turn-based games I might see as a limitation of diversity, while others point to non-turn based games as covering these genres. And I can't really say which view is 'correct'. They are all relevant. But that is why I don't think it is possible to really answer which platform has the most diverse library.

Well it is basically a strange comparison, Sony have more variety on PS4 than Switch even if we only considered third parties, the 4000+ games have all bases covered. There isn't any genre that Switch have games that PS4 wouldn't.

A fitness adventure game like RingFit Adventure, a sports RPG like Golf Story, a life simulation like Animal Crossing.

But probably you can nitpick and find something that has on a first glance the same genre. But this thread provides examples of the different direction, the genres I said are lacking on Switch: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9167930

Ask yourself if you see V Rally as a replacement for GT or Forza, Telltale as a stand-in for TLOU, Doom/Wolfenstein while good as approaching the same people as COD/Battlefield and the gimped FIFA on Switch being a replacement of the realistic sports games on PS4. And think if the games on PS4 you want to name are really having the same impact as the ones I named above.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]