Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony trying to shed it's "Sad Dad Games" image on PS5?

JRPGfan said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

It does feel like Sony, Specifically newly appointed Worldwide Studios President, Herman Hulst, does want to try and shed that image it built up in the PS4, and show that PlayStation is more than capable of offering a large and varied lineup of games.

Sony is 2nd to none, when it comes to offering large and varied lineups of games.
Thats like one of the main selling points of the playstation, it caters to everyone.

That was true for the PS4, and will be true for the PS5 as well.

I don't no if that's entirely true. Since the switch released Nintendo have released games in a very wide variety of genres.

Breath of the wild- openworld Action/adventure 

1-2 switch, mario party, clubhouse- party game

Mario kart 8 D- kart racer

Arms, pokken- 3d fighting game

Splatoon 2- multiplayer 3rd person shooter

Mario + rabbids + fire emblem- turn based tactical rpg

Fire emblem + hyrule warriors + marvel ultimate alliance- hack and slash action rpg

Mario odyssey- 3d platformer

Snipperclips, brain age- puzzle game

Xenoblade 1+2- Action RPG

Bayonetta 2, astral chain- Action adventure hack and slash

Yoshi, Kirby, dkc, nsmb- 2d platformer

Labo sets- toys to life 

Sushi striker, good job- Action puzzle

Mario tennis- sports

Captain toad- puzzle platformer

Pokemon let's go + sw/sh, tokyo mirage- turn based rpg

Smash- 2d fighter

Mario maker 2- platformer level creator

Tetris 99- battle royal puzzle game

Links awakening- top down Action adventure

Ring fit- fitness rpg

Luigis mansion 3- survival horror (only 1/2 joking)

Pokemon mystery dungeon- roguelike

Animal crossing- life sim 

Cadence of hyrule- rogue like rhythm game

Sony since the switch released in 2017

Gran turismo- racing

Gravity rush 2- Action adventure puzzle

Horizon zero dawn, spider man, death stranding- open world action adventure

Knack 2- 3d platformer 

Astro bot- vr 3d platformer

MLB series, everybody golf- sport

hidden agenda, shadow of the collosus, concrete genie- Action adventure

God of war- Action adventure hack and slash

Uncharted- Action adventure tps

Wipeout- futuristic racer

Drawn to death- third person shooter

Far point- vr fps

Knowledge is power, singstar, that's you- party

Detroit- adventure

Firwall, blood and truth- fps

Inpatient- horror

Dreams- game creator

Days gone- open world survival horror

Last of us 2- horror action adventure

I cheated a little for Sony because a lot of there games are just labelled action adventure. So I tried to split them up a little. Also I added some games released just before the switch released

Overall we have Nintendo representing 26 genres and Sony with 19. Honestly both are very impressive numbers.

These lists are only representative of the last 3 years on the ps4 and switch. Overall they seem to cover a lot of genres that the other doesn't. 

Around the Network

TheMisterManGuy said:

What people mean by that is that it's a general term applied to games that are in the style of The Last of Us, Uncharted, or God of War, not necessarily ones that literally star "Sad Dads" specifically. Big budget, third-person, movie-like spectacles with an emphasis on set-pieces, realism, and melodramatic stories. Quite a few people are kind of getting sick of this formula recently, and would like Sony to scale it back a bit for the PS5.

Quite a few people are getting sick of this formula????  Maybe a small few because Uncharted 4 and GOW did better than the last in each series, TLOU is looking to do really well also.  Your comment doesn’t seem to be very accurate.

If we are talking about Sony first party, I like that they are putting effort into making new games.  One thing about Sony is that their new IP never really look that interesting at first to me.  It's true that Shadow of the Colossus looked awesome the first time I saw it but that is their second Team Ico game.  Ico doesn't actually seem that special at first glance.  It's the type of game that you have to play to appreciate.  The same can be said of Demon's Souls.  I didn't even consider it until after I heard the buzz about it.

But I mention Demon's Souls and the Team Ico games, because it is the new first party IP that I usually find most interesting from Sony.  For whatever reason, the titles they turn into a franchise are never the ones that I really like.  So they showed off a bunch of new types of games at their presentation.  None of them really looked interesting to me, but who knows?  There may be a few unexpected gems in there even though they didn't grab me at first.

This "sad dad" thing is new news to me. Joel and Kratos are the only 2 that come to mind and that's just 2 games so I don't see a problem.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
This "sad dad" thing is new news to me. Joel and Kratos are the only 2 that come to mind and that's just 2 games so I don't see a problem.

I think sad dad is the wrong term to use. I think third person, action adventure with strong cinematic focus is a little more accurate. I do think people exaggerate this a bit, but Sony has definitely been focusing on games like this a lot more in recent years and I think that some people were a little afraid that they would continue focusing more and more on games like this and less on other types of games. The ps5 reveal seems to have put that fear to rest for some people because they showed a large variety of games and had little focus on these big cinematic games.

Around the Network
Jabba89 said:

TheMisterManGuy said:

What people mean by that is that it's a general term applied to games that are in the style of The Last of Us, Uncharted, or God of War, not necessarily ones that literally star "Sad Dads" specifically. Big budget, third-person, movie-like spectacles with an emphasis on set-pieces, realism, and melodramatic stories. Quite a few people are kind of getting sick of this formula recently, and would like Sony to scale it back a bit for the PS5.

Quite a few people are getting sick of this formula????  Maybe a small few because Uncharted 4 and GOW did better than the last in each series, TLOU is looking to do really well also.  Your comment doesn’t seem to be very accurate.

I think this is badly formulated. Generally speaking people have different interests in all things, this includes games. So there are always gamers, which fall short on nice games to play. These people may get discontent, if they miss their favorite genre for a long time. It may happen, that this lack of favorite genres may be put on some other popular gaming genres. It is a bit unfair, but also there is a kernel of truth, as the game industry decides where to put the focus.

So I personally would pin it on sad dad games, but certain genres may be underrepresented. If these genres get more titles and exposure, no one will complain about sad dad games anymore.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

No idea what the OP is saying but Sony has always been #1 at offering the widest variety of games when it comes to their 1st party games and it doesn't look like it's slowing down any time soon.

The only thing I've noticed is that Sony has backed away from the FPS market (with Killzone Shadow Fall being the last) as they seem to rather do deals with Activision since CoD continues to dominate the FPS console market.

Eeeerrr for me PS4 wasn't the sad dad console and there is good variety on it. The titles showed for PS5 were sequels to those games or similar to what was on PS4;

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

*reads first paragraph*

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

"Many claim that most of the PS4's first party lineup consists of overbudget realistic, cinematic, third person action-adventure spectacles staring "Sad Dads"."

Many? You're literally the only person I've ever seen claim that...

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702