By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony trying to shed it's "Sad Dad Games" image on PS5?

I would like to see Sony cultivate some home grown RPG’s... seems like the biggest hole in their first party lineup... maybe bring back legend of dragoon? Make it into an ongoing franchise like it should have been!

Around the Network

Playstation 4 has so much diversity in types and styles of games, significantly more than other consoles, especially with their indie game which are not ports of mobile games Sound Shapes, The Unfinished Suan, Journey, Flower, to totally bizarre games Hatoful Boyfriend, gravity rush, the last guardian, persona 5 royal, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, everybody's golf

I presume playstation 5 will have some much diversity as well

Drakrami said:

The ranking would be Sony > Microsoft > Nintendo. If you consider quantity or quality or memorableness. Nintendo games are just fun, easy to play and target younger kids that's their appeal. 

Nintendo owns arguably the most recognizable characters and worlds in the entire gaming industry. Even people who don't play a lot of games can tell you who Mario is. And their games target everyone, not just kids. 

If Sony games are "sad dad" games. Can I say that Nintendo games are "for children"?

Usually see people getting moderated by calling Nintendo games "kiddy games". But it can't be more insulting than "sad dad", right?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

JRPGfan said:
KLXVER said:

The only thing I would like Sony to focus more on is replayability. I love several of their games, but I feel like story is too much of a focus in many of them. I just never seem to go back to their games once Ive finished them.(A few exceptions of course) Thats just a bit of a selfish wish I know, since I know many people play their games over and over. I just feel the gameplay could be a bit more fun and random I guess.

The otherside of the coin:
Nintendo isnt good at story telling, so they rarely do any of it (with their games) (most dont even have cut scenes or voice acting),
I wish that they would learn to do it better, but thats just my selfish wish I know.

^ you see how "bait" worthy what you wrote is? when your own words are said back to you (just story <--> replayabiliy swapped?

Plus:

Alot of Sony games are 30-60 hours long (to beat).
While Nintendo has some like Starfox that was 3 hours to beat, but didnt get roasted for it by critics because of "replayablity".
(how many people didnt get bored out of their minds, by the time they replayed it like 2-3 times? and was their enjoyment higher than if they played a good quality story based game?)

I'd argue that something like God of War, many people have probably beat multiple times.
Spiderman is something thats also easily replayable, simply because people enjoy the feeling of swinning around and the combat.
Hell even Ratchet & Clank.

Its not like Sony games dont have any replayability at all, and its just something magically that only nintendo has.

MODs..... why are so many Nintendo fans in here being allowed to bait this much?

Starfox is a great example of how critics take easy on Nintendo. But let's not start it, or you and I are going to be moderated. Nintendo is a protected brand on VGC.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

Sony arguably has just as many memorable and iconic characters as Nintendo. The Problem was that PlayStation All-Stars didn't do them proper justice. It was a mediocre game with a flawed KO system, half the roster going to third party characters nobody asked for, and cheap presentation. Not the kind of treatment a cast as large and varied as PlayStation's deserved. 

I just don't agree with the assertion that Sony has just as many iconic characters as Nintendo. Heck, in one single series (Pokemon) they have several dozen iconic characters. There is a reason why Playstation used a lot of third party characters in All Stars. 

DonFerrari said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
What in the world is this so called " Sad Dad Games" image.....this is literally my first time ever hearing about it.....

Apparently all Sony games that are 3rd person with high cinematic and production values are called sad dad games because TLOU have a dad that lost his daughter and UC + GoW the protagonists aren't smilling all the time and are also dads.

Oh wow.....people come up with the weirdest stuff now a day smh

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
DonFerrari said:

Apparently all Sony games that are 3rd person with high cinematic and production values are called sad dad games because TLOU have a dad that lost his daughter and UC + GoW the protagonists aren't smilling all the time and are also dads.

Oh wow.....people come up with the weirdest stuff now a day smh

We gotta invent labels to depreciate other people taste you know =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

'Sad Dad' games is as an acurrate description for Sony games as 'kiddy' is for Nintendo.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!