Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony trying to shed it's "Sad Dad Games" image on PS5?

Mnementh said:
JRPGfan said:

The irony is they already have the most "wide" library of games of the 3 console makers.
If anything I'd say its Nintendo thats changed more (with its games library offerings), with the Switch from the Wii U (to the better).

This entire thread could be the same, for the Switch.
Instead it comes off as backhanded compliment.

Anyways to me its odd, to praise Sony for "suddenly" aiming for more variety, as if not even accepting that it was already the best of the 3 in this reguard. Same with the "Sad Dad Games" image.... thats some backhanded compliments right there.

OP seems like bait, for sony fans lol.

Yes, also Nintendo and Switch have a restricted library. That was and is said again and again. Switch is missing for instance realistic sports games and racers, cinematic story driven games and big shooters like Battlefield/COD. And I probably forget some stuff.

But claiming for Sony the most variety without any shading also shows blind spots. In the PS5 presentation I personally missed japanese styled games (as JRPGfan you should've noticed), anything turn-based or strategy games. Hopefully they will show more later. On the other hand - and that is the point I agree with the OP - with R&C, Sackboys Adventure and Kena they showed already increased interest in widening the library. I agree R&C is not a new series, but it was a long time between releases and I don't remember that much spotlight as it got in the presentation. Sackboys adventure goes beyond earlier releases of Little Big Planet. So clearly that are great signs for more diversity in the library. And that is a good thing for gamers.

To come back around (so that you don't see it as a jab at Sony): clearly Nintendo could push into more gaming demographics, if they would focus on some of the areas they currently neglect. But I assume every company has limited resources.

And as you did draw the comparison with Nintendo: I personally have difficulties deciding which console (PS4 or Switch) has a more diverse library regarding genres. Because genres are quite fluid and most people have blind spots for some genres, that others see. That is why you see very different declarations about the diversity of libraries based on what each one sees as a genre. For instance I see turn-based strategy and turn-based RPG as something different. Others may put all turn-based stuff into one genre or even outright ignore the different gameplay and group it with RPG and strategy. So a lack of turn-based games I might see as a limitation of diversity, while others point to non-turn based games as covering these genres. And I can't really say which view is 'correct'. They are all relevant. But that is why I don't think it is possible to really answer which platform has the most diverse library.

Well it is basically a strange comparison, Sony have more variety on PS4 than Switch even if we only considered third parties, the 4000+ games have all bases covered. There isn't any genre that Switch have games that PS4 wouldn't.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

What is a "Sad Dad" game? Examples please. I didn't really see any examples and have honestly not heard the term before now.

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Yes, also Nintendo and Switch have a restricted library. That was and is said again and again. Switch is missing for instance realistic sports games and racers, cinematic story driven games and big shooters like Battlefield/COD. And I probably forget some stuff.

But claiming for Sony the most variety without any shading also shows blind spots. In the PS5 presentation I personally missed japanese styled games (as JRPGfan you should've noticed), anything turn-based or strategy games. Hopefully they will show more later. On the other hand - and that is the point I agree with the OP - with R&C, Sackboys Adventure and Kena they showed already increased interest in widening the library. I agree R&C is not a new series, but it was a long time between releases and I don't remember that much spotlight as it got in the presentation. Sackboys adventure goes beyond earlier releases of Little Big Planet. So clearly that are great signs for more diversity in the library. And that is a good thing for gamers.

To come back around (so that you don't see it as a jab at Sony): clearly Nintendo could push into more gaming demographics, if they would focus on some of the areas they currently neglect. But I assume every company has limited resources.

And as you did draw the comparison with Nintendo: I personally have difficulties deciding which console (PS4 or Switch) has a more diverse library regarding genres. Because genres are quite fluid and most people have blind spots for some genres, that others see. That is why you see very different declarations about the diversity of libraries based on what each one sees as a genre. For instance I see turn-based strategy and turn-based RPG as something different. Others may put all turn-based stuff into one genre or even outright ignore the different gameplay and group it with RPG and strategy. So a lack of turn-based games I might see as a limitation of diversity, while others point to non-turn based games as covering these genres. And I can't really say which view is 'correct'. They are all relevant. But that is why I don't think it is possible to really answer which platform has the most diverse library.

Well it is basically a strange comparison, Sony have more variety on PS4 than Switch even if we only considered third parties, the 4000+ games have all bases covered. There isn't any genre that Switch have games that PS4 wouldn't.

A fitness adventure game like RingFit Adventure, a sports RPG like Golf Story, a life simulation like Animal Crossing.

But probably you can nitpick and find something that has on a first glance the same genre. But this thread provides examples of the different direction, the genres I said are lacking on Switch: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9167930

Ask yourself if you see V Rally as a replacement for GT or Forza, Telltale as a stand-in for TLOU, Doom/Wolfenstein while good as approaching the same people as COD/Battlefield and the gimped FIFA on Switch being a replacement of the realistic sports games on PS4. And think if the games on PS4 you want to name are really having the same impact as the ones I named above.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

A fitness adventure game like RingFit Adventure, a sports RPG like Golf Story, a life simulation like Animal Crossing.

But probably you can nitpick and find something that has on a first glance the same genre. But this thread provides examples of the different direction, the genres I said are lacking on Switch: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9167930

Ask yourself if you see V Rally as a replacement for GT or Forza, Telltale as a stand-in for TLOU, Doom/Wolfenstein while good as approaching the same people as COD/Battlefield and the gimped FIFA on Switch being a replacement of the realistic sports games on PS4. And think if the games on PS4 you want to name are really having the same impact as the ones I named above.

Are we really inventing genres to fit?

Everybody Golf is a sport game with RPG elements if you want to go like that. The SIMS is a life simulation. fitness adventure?

For me it just seems like you are pretending there is a whole genre to cover a single game Nintendo created to pad the numbers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Sony always has variety but if you mean games like TLoU, Uncharted and GoW then it's true that most of their biggest/most popular games are 'sad dad' games.

Sony's other games either aren't as good/appealing or Playstation doesn't attract a big enough audience for those types of games.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Like others have said, I don't see this Sony "iconic worlds, characters.." thing. They have some truly great games in some great franchises. But, the reality is that once you leave the Nintendo characters and the Mushroom Kingdom, the only video game characters that you'll find non-gamers often aware of are Sonic, and to a much lesser extent, Master Chief. Maybe Pac-Man among the older generations.

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Are we really inventing genres to fit?

Everybody Golf is a sport game with RPG elements if you want to go like that. The SIMS is a life simulation. fitness adventure?

For me it just seems like you are pretending there is a whole genre to cover a single game Nintendo created to pad the numbers.

Everyone does actually. As you look at it, you actually could put TLOU in the same genre as Zelda: action adventure. With that Sony has nothing special. But as I see it, there are differences. But that is exactly what I said: everyone defines genres differently. You argued that position only to circle back and deliver an expample yourself. And I said before: as people define their genres some can come to the conclusion PS4 has the most diverse library ever, while others think that Switch has that price. It is all a question of your viewpoint.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

VAMatt said:
Like others have said, I don't see this Sony "iconic worlds, characters.." thing. They have some truly great games in some great franchises. But, the reality is that once you leave the Nintendo characters and the Mushroom Kingdom, the only video game characters that you'll find non-gamers often aware of are Sonic, and to a much lesser extent, Master Chief. Maybe Pac-Man among the older generations.

I would argue Rayman and Lara Croft are quite iconic. But true, Nintendo has a great talent to develop lasting characters. Maybe because they don't give up on them and jump to a different series. Sony abandoned Spyro and Crash, maybe if they had stick with them they would be as iconic today as Mario.

pikashoe said:
Dgc1808 said:
This "sad dad" thing is new news to me. Joel and Kratos are the only 2 that come to mind and that's just 2 games so I don't see a problem.

I think sad dad is the wrong term to use. I think third person, action adventure with strong cinematic focus is a little more accurate. I do think people exaggerate this a bit, but Sony has definitely been focusing on games like this a lot more in recent years and I think that some people were a little afraid that they would continue focusing more and more on games like this and less on other types of games. The ps5 reveal seems to have put that fear to rest for some people because they showed a large variety of games and had little focus on these big cinematic games.

Sony definitely has had more of that than MS and Nintendo in recent years. I guess if the Op means: "Is Sony trying to diversify their games lineup to appeal to more people?", then my response is simply "Yes".

I never really saw this as a bad thing though. There's clearly strong demand for these types of games, Sony's studios are clearly very good at it, and they maintained a decent variety of games. 

4 ≈ One

The only thing I would like Sony to focus more on is replayability. I love several of their games, but I feel like story is too much of a focus in many of them. I just never seem to go back to their games once Ive finished them.(A few exceptions of course) Thats just a bit of a selfish wish I know, since I know many people play their games over and over. I just feel the gameplay could be a bit more fun and random I guess.