By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony trying to shed it's "Sad Dad Games" image on PS5?

The PlayStation 4 was home to some of Sony Interactive Entertainment's finest output yet. Sony is only second to Nintendo in crafting some of the most iconic worlds, characters, stories and gameplay moments in the industry, and PS4 continued that trend with hit games like Uncharted 4, God of War (2018), Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Dreams, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Concrete Genie, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and upcoming titles like Ghosts of Tsushima. That said, Sony has also built up a sort of stigma surrounding SIE and its games. Many claim that most of the PS4's first party lineup consists of overbudget realistic, cinematic, third person action-adventure spectacles staring "Sad Dads".

While that is an exaggerated take, It does feel like we've seen an increased focus on these games in the last few years, and not enough of the variety that filled the days of the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, or even the earlier half of the PS4, so it's not like Sony was helping that image, hence memes like the "PlayStation Exclusive Template". PlayStation has always been known for cinematic games, even going all the way back to the original PlayStation, but many felt it was a bit too much on the PS4.

But Sony is seemingly hoping to change that with PlayStation 5, and its new "PlayStation Studios" publishing label. During its PS5 reveal broadcast, Sony showcased a number of first party PlayStation games, several of which were a bit of a departure from most of the games Sony has been putting out recently. Not only are we getting a new Ratchet & Clank entry for the first time in several years, but they also showed a 3D Little Big Planet Spin-off "Sackboy: A Big Adventure", a big new multiplayer IP "Destruction Allstars", a pack-in title "Astro's PlayRoom", and a remake of the PS3 cult hit "Demon's Souls". Of course, the trademark PlayStation style wasn't gone either, with trailers for new Spider Man and Horizon Games, as well as Housemarque's first AAA game "Returnal".

It does feel like Sony, Specifically newly appointed Worldwide Studios President, Herman Hulst, does want to try and shed that image it built up in the PS4, and show that PlayStation is more than capable of offering a large and varied lineup of games.

Around the Network

Not really, PS4 had a similar diversity although albeit a bit more spread out(LBP3, Ratchet, Dreams, TEaraway etc)

But I hope they do really take on board some of the previous critique leveled against their (outstanding) output but the line of games seems quite organic.

I would love to see their biggest talents focus on something from a gameplay angle or a mechanic angle, so far it seems like they're driven more by world concept/premise/story then gameplay. And I think they need a more meaningful mix of this.

"Second to Nintendo" lol

"second to Nintendo" yeah that's why their Smash game failed was all those memorable characters such as white bald man and grey bald man and a white man with hair and another white guy with hair and guns. Oh and the other bald man. Anytime Sony tried to do what Nintendo did, it fell flat. Sorry but no. I love the PS4 and all but was not their best output at all. That is still the PS1-PS2 era. Too many first-party PS4 games kinda looked the same. Sony has never created anything as memorable or iconic as Nintendo has. Only SEGA came close with Sonic and others. Why SEGA's Kart game did better than Sony's. Capcom and other third parties from the 90s that are still remembered even by people, not into games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
"second to Nintendo" yeah that's why their Smash game failed was all those memorable characters such as white bald man and grey bald man and a white man with hair and another white guy with hair and guns. Oh and the other bald man. Anytime Sony tried to do what Nintendo did, it fell flat. Sorry but no. I love the PS4 and all but was not their best output at all. That is still the PS1-PS2 era. Too many first-party PS4 games kinda looked the same. Sony has never created anything as memorable or iconic as Nintendo has. Only SEGA came close with Sonic and others. Why SEGA's Kart game did better than Sony's. Capcom and other third parties from the 90s that are still remembered even by people, not into games.

Sony arguably has just as many memorable and iconic characters as Nintendo. The Problem was that PlayStation All-Stars didn't do them proper justice. It was a mediocre game with a flawed KO system, half the roster going to third party characters nobody asked for, and cheap presentation. Not the kind of treatment a cast as large and varied as PlayStation's deserved. 

Around the Network

Sony doesn't have as many as Nintendo. They have nothing even remotely as iconic as Mario. To be even near that level you need people who never play games to know of them. My 80-year-old mom knows what Pokemon is or Sonic or Mario. She knows Link. She has never heard of Sly or Crash or Drake or Kratos. Certainly not Cole. Even PS fans never heard of Polygon man.

Sony doesn't make truly iconic characters. Sony is best at making games that go with what trends with a mass audience taste. The cinematic adventure games are aimed at a more casual audience of gamers/ (Note I don't mean Smartphone casual) Sony paints with a broad brush. These games however don't have the most memorable designs or characters any wider than what they are. That's fine they don't need to be as iconic as Nintendo. Mario is like Mickey and will always be remembered by millions. Aloy will not. Sony doesn't need her to be either. In 15 years Sony will have long moved on by then with new franchises that appeal more to audience trends then while Zelda will still be getting new games. That's what Sony does well and what they aim for. It's stilly to even try to compare them as one is not even aiming to be and they know it.

Last edited by Leynos - on 17 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

More variety is always a good thing for gamers, so if Sony tries to widen their portfolio it is surely a good thing. Props to Sony.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

TheMisterManGuy said:

It does feel like Sony, Specifically newly appointed Worldwide Studios President, Herman Hulst, does want to try and shed that image it built up in the PS4, and show that PlayStation is more than capable of offering a large and varied lineup of games.

Sony is 2nd to none, when it comes to offering large and varied lineups of games.
Thats like one of the main selling points of the playstation, it caters to everyone.

That was true for the PS4, and will be true for the PS5 as well.

Mnementh said:
More variety is always a good thing for gamers, so if Sony tries to widen their portfolio it is surely a good thing. Props to Sony.

The irony is they already have the most "wide" library of games of the 3 console makers.
If anything I'd say its Nintendo thats changed more (with its games library offerings), with the Switch from the Wii U (to the better).

This entire thread could be the same, for the Switch.
Instead it comes off as backhanded compliment.

Anyways to me its odd, to praise Sony for "suddenly" aiming for more variety, as if not even accepting that it was already the best of the 3 in this reguard. Same with the "Sad Dad Games" image.... thats some backhanded compliments right there.

OP seems like bait, for sony fans lol.

Shed it's sad dad games? Lists Bloodborne, Horizon and Spiderman.

Games Sony announced, Demon's Souls, Horizon 2 and Spiderman Expansion.

Plus the Dadest game there ever daded, Gran Turismo.

OR for the last gen it's been making great games and just is releasing more. Just like Nintendo.

Hmm, pie.