By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 could see even more 3rd party exclusives than PS4

imparanoic said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Sony published both titles though, so they're first party. 

the term says all, third party developer, never mentioned anything about publishing, kojima productions, same again, totally independent developer

Sure, the developer is independent, but the game belongs to Sony. That's why its considered first party, Sony produced it and published it. 



Around the Network

The XBox SX is basically the same hardware, just with better GPU performance. So there's really zero point to skipping other platforms. If developers like PS5, they will like XSX, maybe even moreso. 

Devs are not going to lock themselves out of the XB + PC market for a SSD issue, so the XBox SX SSD if anything will become their standard usage spec. 



Soundwave said:
The XBox SX is basically the same hardware, just with better GPU performance. So there's really zero point to skipping other platforms.

If Sony outsells Xbox AGAIN, then there might very well be a reason. 



TheMisterManGuy said:
Soundwave said:
The XBox SX is basically the same hardware, just with better GPU performance. So there's really zero point to skipping other platforms.

If Sony outsells Xbox AGAIN, then there might very well be a reason. 

There still isn't, you're throwing sales down the toilet for no good reason. Unless Sony is reimbursing you for every lost sale, there is no real benefit. 

Plus making an XBox version means you're making it on a Windows based dev kit, which basically gives you a "free" PC version of the game, and combined with XBox, there are tens of millions more PC owners. 

Then there's also Switch 2 that's likely going to factor into the equation eventually, devs were caught off guard with the first Switch, but now they now the Switch brand is legit and if things like DLSS are implimented into the Switch 2, porting suddenly becomes easier. 

It's simply not going to be as worth it to lock yourself into exclusivity deals. 



twintail said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I still remember all the backlash MS took for moneyhatting Tomb Raider. Funny how it's basically non-existent when Sony continuously does it over and over.

I also remember when they secured the 2nd game in a trilogy as 'exclusive' even after the PS3 version of the 1st game outsold the 360 version, and the remaster on PS4 outsold the X1 version.

That;s why there was such a backlash, the IP and major audience were not with MS.

Ah, so it's ok as long as the game sells more on that platform to money-hat then? Interesting.



Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
twintail said:

I also remember when they secured the 2nd game in a trilogy as 'exclusive' even after the PS3 version of the 1st game outsold the 360 version, and the remaster on PS4 outsold the X1 version.

That;s why there was such a backlash, the IP and major audience were not with MS.

Ah, so it's ok as long as the game sells more on that platform to money-hat then? Interesting.

I never said it was ok.



Soundwave said:

There still isn't, you're throwing sales down the toilet for no good reason. Unless Sony is reimbursing you for every lost sale, there is no real benefit. 

Plus making an XBox version means you're making it on a Windows based dev kit, which basically gives you a "free" PC version of the game, and combined with XBox, there are tens of millions more PC owners. 

Then there's also Switch 2 that's likely going to factor into the equation eventually, devs were caught off guard with the first Switch, but now they now the Switch brand is legit and if things like DLSS are implimented into the Switch 2, porting suddenly becomes easier. 

It's simply not going to be as worth it to lock yourself into exclusivity deals. 

The reality is that Sony will throw money to secure big titles for next generation. That, plus a lot of developers don't have the resources to support 3-4 platforms at a time like many of the bigger ones, so they'll start with the console that has the most mindshare. For much of the generation, it was the PS4, so it enjoyed a lot of timed, console, and full exclusives thanks to its success. If the PS5 builds that same kind of momentum, then many mid-sized and smaller developers might be tempted to prioritize it over Xbox. 



Who are you trying to convince here? Xbox gamers, developers, yourself?



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Sony already lost Atelier, Disgaea, God Eater, Ys and The Legend of Heroes among others this gen. Playstation is bound to lose more exclusives from smaller japanese devs with japanese-centric franchises due to Sony's exit of the handheld market.

Edit - Sony's censorship of japanese games isn't going to help in that regard either.

Last edited by Player2 - on 11 June 2020

TheMisterManGuy said:
Soundwave said:

There still isn't, you're throwing sales down the toilet for no good reason. Unless Sony is reimbursing you for every lost sale, there is no real benefit. 

Plus making an XBox version means you're making it on a Windows based dev kit, which basically gives you a "free" PC version of the game, and combined with XBox, there are tens of millions more PC owners. 

Then there's also Switch 2 that's likely going to factor into the equation eventually, devs were caught off guard with the first Switch, but now they now the Switch brand is legit and if things like DLSS are implimented into the Switch 2, porting suddenly becomes easier. 

It's simply not going to be as worth it to lock yourself into exclusivity deals. 

The reality is that Sony will throw money to secure big titles for next generation. That, plus a lot of developers don't have the resources to support 3-4 platforms at a time like many of the bigger ones, so they'll start with the console that has the most mindshare. For much of the generation, it was the PS4, so it enjoyed a lot of timed, console, and full exclusives thanks to its success. If the PS5 builds that same kind of momentum, then many mid-sized and smaller developers might be tempted to prioritize it over Xbox. 

The opposite is more likely true. With rising dev costs, developers can't afford to throw away sales for a "marketing deal". It's not good enough. Sony has to basically pay for lost sales.

Supporting multiple platforms is easy since XBox and PC is essentially the same platform, you don't have to make different versions there and even PS5 is basically the same hardware as XSX, just not as powerful. 

Last gen devs felt Sony would run away with the gen, but MS still will sell a respectable 50-60 million XBox One's. Then you have PC to factor in which is a tens of millions more. And now devs also have to look at Nintendo seriously too, especially Japanese developers. 

Between XSX + Lockheart + PC + Switch 2 ... you could be talking 200-250 million gamers. 

And even adding more to that, while Stadia hasn't taken off due to poor management, XCloud definitely could, which is basically another platform on its own. If that + GamePass starts to gain traction, that's also hard to ignore. 

Between XBox and Switch, if Street Fighter V for example was available on those two systems, I think Capcom could've sold another 2-2.5 million copies of that game ... did Sony really pay them enough to make up for $20-$30 million in lost profit? I doubt it. If Capcom had to do that over again, they'd probably not do that.