By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 could see even more 3rd party exclusives than PS4

twintail said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Ah, so it's ok as long as the game sells more on that platform to money-hat then? Interesting.

I never said it was ok.

Ah so it's not ok, thus Sony is in the wrong. I see, I see. 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

Back in the PS1 and PS2 days, Sony Computer Entertainment enjoyed the lions share of third party exclusives, with many of the biggest games those generations going exclusively to Sony. But with the PS3, that dominance was lost. A convoluted Cell Processor, plus the popularity of the Xbox 360 meant that franchises once exclusive to PlayStation, were now also popping up on Xbox. As such, the vast majority of exclusive games for the PS3, came from Sony itself.

The PS4 was an improvement however. It's easy to work with PC-based hardware, combined with its massive install base, meant that PS4 enjoyed more big exclusive or console exclusive titles from third parties than the PS3 did. Street Fighter V, Persona 5 Royal, No Man's Sky, Neir Automata, Crash N' Sane Trillogy, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dragon Quest XI, And a variety of indie and PS VR games are all at least console exclusive to the PS4, or were timed exclusives to the system. 

With reports of the PS5 being even easier to develop for than the PS4, we could see even more notable third party exclusives for it. Now let me be clear, the days of the PlayStation 2 will never be repeated again. AAA franchises just cost too much to make now for that to happen, So I don't expect things like Grand Theft Auto or Mainline Final Fantasy games to be full on exclusive. However, I can see many AA, Indie, and VR games being at least console or timed exclusive to PS5, especially if the system sells as well as or better than the PS4. 

Who wouldn't want to take advantage of that super fast SSD if you are a dev? Not surprising. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Soundwave said:

The opposite is more likely true. With rising dev costs, developers can't afford to throw away sales for a "marketing deal". It's not good enough. Sony has to basically pay for lost sales.

Supporting multiple platforms is easy since XBox and PC is essentially the same platform, you don't have to make different versions there and even PS5 is basically the same hardware as XSX, just not as powerful. 

Last gen devs felt Sony would run away with the gen, but MS still will sell a respectable 50-60 million XBox One's. Then you have PC to factor in which is a tens of millions more. And now devs also have to look at Nintendo seriously too, especially Japanese developers. 

Between XSX + Lockheart + PC + Switch 2 ... you could be talking 200-250 million gamers. 

And even adding more to that, while Stadia hasn't taken off due to poor management, XCloud definitely could, which is basically another platform on its own. If that + GamePass starts to gain traction, that's also hard to ignore. 

Between XBox and Switch, if Street Fighter V for example was available on those two systems, I think Capcom could've sold another 2-2.5 million copies of that game ... did Sony really pay them enough to make up for $20-$30 million in lost profit? I doubt it. If Capcom had to do that over again, they'd probably not do that. 

Money talks regardless. If Sony is able to convince publishers that a big game will get most of its initial sales on PS5, then that'll factor into timed exclusivity at least. And for a lot of smaller developers, they can afford to support only one or two platforms at a time if needed since their games are significantly lower in budget. I do agree that a stronger Microsoft and Nintendo next gen will mean a more competitive environment for exclusives. But Sony is going to be playing hardball next gen. Don't be surprised if you see more than a few exclusivity deals with third parties during the PS5 showcase. 

"PS5 could see even more 3rd party exclusives than PS4"

"Even more" is suggesting that PS4 had many 3rd party exclusives... which wasn't the case compared to any PlayStation console before the PS4.

"Money talks regardless."

You know that Microsoft has much deeper pockets? If it comes to a "moneyhatting war" (which only fanboys want), Sony ain't in the best position for it.

"A lot of smaller developers, they can afford to support only one or two platforms at a time if needed since their games are significantly lower in budget."

Why are you ignoring the trends of the last years? Almost every "third party game" released is multiplatform and thanks to UnrealEngine and Unity and similar hardware, multiplatform support had never been easier to smaller developers than today.

"Don't be surprised if you see more than a few exclusivity deals with third parties during the PS5 showcase."

Don't be disappointed if you see only a few exclusivity deals with third parties during the PS5 showcase.

Last edited by Conina - on 11 June 2020

Bonzinga said:
Considering the competition is rising next gen, it wont be a walk in the park for the PS5 as we wont have a WiiU and XB1 failed starting line up and if things remain the same right now. The Series X is looking like a very promising competitor and the Switch doesn't need me to explain its massive success this gen. Now lets include the likes or Steam constantly growing every year, Epic Games Store improving, Stadia gaining some ground if those timed exclusives they brought work out for them. The PS5 is just a small drop in the ocean in this gaming industry. It will most likely still outsell the Xbox but will it outsell the Switch 2? Will it have more concurrent users than Steam? Will it offer the best experiences? That's a lot of questions the devs will be asking themselves before they start making these exclusives deals with just Sony.

I wouldn't exactly call the ps4 a small drop in the ocean when over 60% of the software sales are coming from that one platform. Developers typically don't even bother making Switch ports because it's just not worth the trouble. Meanwhile MS is basically slapping developers in the face who put all their eggs in MS basket by saying things like "it doesn't matter how many Series X boxes we'll sell".

Sony is going into next gen with a lot of momentum and everybody is expecting the ps5 to outsell Series X by a landslide. Combine that with the fact that Sony's devkit is apparently much easier to work with and it's really not so far fetched to see more 3rd party developers making exclusives for the ps5. 

goopy20 said:

I wouldn't exactly call the ps4 a small drop in the ocean when over 60% of the software sales are coming from that one platform. Developers typically don't even bother making Switch ports because it's just not worth the trouble. Meanwhile MS is basically slapping developers in the face who put all their eggs in MS basket by saying things like "it doesn't matter how many Series X boxes we'll sell".

Sony is going into next gen with a lot of momentum and everybody is expecting the ps5 to outsell Series X by a landslide. Combine that with the fact that Sony's devkit is apparently much easier to work with and it's really not so far fetched to see more 3rd party developers making exclusives for the ps5. 

I can get AAA games... But Switch ports of games have been doing very well, even the seemingly "impossible ones". Which is why developers keep releasing them. The Switch has its limits, but let's not pretend developers avoid it like the plague.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
Bonzinga said:
Considering the competition is rising next gen, it wont be a walk in the park for the PS5 as we wont have a WiiU and XB1 failed starting line up and if things remain the same right now. The Series X is looking like a very promising competitor and the Switch doesn't need me to explain its massive success this gen. Now lets include the likes or Steam constantly growing every year, Epic Games Store improving, Stadia gaining some ground if those timed exclusives they brought work out for them. The PS5 is just a small drop in the ocean in this gaming industry. It will most likely still outsell the Xbox but will it outsell the Switch 2? Will it have more concurrent users than Steam? Will it offer the best experiences? That's a lot of questions the devs will be asking themselves before they start making these exclusives deals with just Sony.

It is a small drop in the ocean if we are including the entire gaming industry which I am, hence why I said gaming industry and not just the console industry. I am including everything like the Mobile, Portable and PC markets which eat up a lot of the gaming market and considering consoles are becoming a lot more like PCs like sharing the same architectures etc, it means developers have a lot more options than just one high selling console brand. PS5 could go out and sell another 100m consoles life time, however we know the industry is a lot bigger than 100m consoles, we also know the console market is at least 3 times that size since Gen 7 sold roughly 270m consoles. Now include the PC eco-system and than the mobile industry to that 270m number and you see my point, 100m is a small amount in a industry that big. Potential sales is just too big to miss out on overall however I wont doubt Sony and MS will money hat developers to force gamers to their platforms, Stadia has already started doing it with 15 timed exclusives on there way to Googles platform.

Bonzinga said:
goopy20 said:

It is a small drop in the ocean if we are including the entire gaming industry which I am, hence why I said gaming industry and not just the console industry. I am including everything like the Mobile, Portable and PC markets which eat up a lot of the gaming market and considering consoles are becoming a lot more like PCs like sharing the same architectures etc, it means developers have a lot more options than just one high selling console brand. PS5 could go out and sell another 100m consoles life time, however we know the industry is a lot bigger than 100m consoles, we also know the console market is at least 3 times that size since Gen 7 sold roughly 270m consoles. Now include the PC eco-system and than the mobile industry to that 270m number and you see my point, 100m is a small amount in a industry that big. Potential sales is just too big to miss out on overall however I wont doubt Sony and MS will money hat developers to force gamers to their platforms, Stadia has already started doing it with 15 timed exclusives on there way to Googles platform.

I dunno man. Sounds kinda hard for a developer to support everything. Either they are making mobile/ indie games or they are making AAA type games that typically sell big numbers on consoles. It would make little sense for an Indie developer to go exclusive on ps5, but for the studios that make games that historically sell 3:1 on a Sony console, they absolutely might. 

It's not that far fetched to see a bunch of exclusives from Capcom, Square Enix, From Software, Team Ninja, Kojima etc. At least not if it's really that much easier to develop for the ps5 like we've been hearing.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 11 June 2020

Sony is seeing the PC as an extension of their own platform with the release of their first party titles to it. A PS5/PC exclusive partnership is something that can easily be achieved.

So....

Xbox sees more 1st party exclusives than before.
PlayStation sees more 3rd party exclusives than before.
Does that mean Nintendo will see more 2nd party exclusives than before?

I can live with this arrangement. Nintendo already had a ton of 1st party games garunteed each generation anyway, and most 3rd party games are lame. But 2nd party collaborations merging ips together (like Tokyo Mirage FE, Rabbids Kingdom Battle) or getting a new developers take on established IP (Starfox Zero, Metroid Other M)? I'll take more of those any day. Even if they aren't always good, they are always interesting lol.

Train wreck said:
Sony is seeing the PC as an extension of their own platform with the release of their first party titles to it. A PS5/PC exclusive partnership is something that can easily be achieved.

I don't think so, that's what Ms is doing with Series X. Sony on the other hand wants to sell consoles. Sure, they'll release HZD and some older games on pc, but they'll do it in the hope of persuading pc gamers to buy a ps5 if they want to play the sequels.