By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 could see even more 3rd party exclusives than PS4

shikamaru317 said:

I truly hope Sony doesn't announce a ton of 3rd party moneyhats tomorrow. I don't plan to buy a PS5 until later in the gen, might even wait on the mid-gen refresh to buy it. So I would hate it if they have a bunch of moneyhatted 3rd party games I am interested in playing, timed or otherwise. Moneyhatting is something that should stop. Phil claims that MS won't moneyhat big games anymore after the backlash they received this gen for moneyhatting Rise of the Tomb Raider, and so far he has lived up to that promise with no big 3rd party moneyhats since Tomb Raider. I really hope that Sony follows suit and stops moneyhatting this gen. It's bad enough they ended the current gen by moneyhatting 1 year timed on FF7 Remake. 

Well, MS has bought quite some smaller studios, so the need for moneyhats is reduced.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
shikamaru317 said:

I truly hope Sony doesn't announce a ton of 3rd party moneyhats tomorrow. I don't plan to buy a PS5 until later in the gen, might even wait on the mid-gen refresh to buy it. So I would hate it if they have a bunch of moneyhatted 3rd party games I am interested in playing, timed or otherwise. Moneyhatting is something that should stop. Phil claims that MS won't moneyhat big games anymore after the backlash they received this gen for moneyhatting Rise of the Tomb Raider, and so far he has lived up to that promise with no big 3rd party moneyhats since Tomb Raider. I really hope that Sony follows suit and stops moneyhatting this gen. It's bad enough they ended the current gen by moneyhatting 1 year timed on FF7 Remake. 

Well, MS has bought quite some smaller studios, so the need for moneyhats is reduced.

Other than Phantasy Star Online 2 just 2 months ago...

Blood_Tears said:
It's funny how some people on this site get defensive about Sony getting a timed exclusive like FF7R etc when only just days ago a lot of MS fans were hoping and praying that MS buy out Sega and make Yakuza and Persona and all their ips exclusive to them. Any studio pops up in conversation and the first thing out of their mouths is I hope MS buys them up. I hope MS buys out this "3rd party" Japan studio etc. etc.

I realize that everybody roots for their favorite brand but don't act all innocent. Each brand does it all the time, people are just scared thinking Sony is going to take away this genre or that genre away from them tomorrow. Hell, even this site's own writer said today he wanted Microsoft to pay Take Two 250 million dollars to make GTA 6 an timed exclusive to Xbox.

Sony might not even moneyhat anything tomorrow or maybe they do and help funding certain projects like MS did with Titanfall!
Point is, if you're crying foul over the potential over a moneyhat while secretly wishing your company does it too then you're nothing more than a hypricrite. Move on and enjoy the upcoming gen.

What is this bullshit? There was a thread about the Sega/MS rumor, you even posted in it. https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242518/rumor-according-to-xbox-fan-microsoft-will-rebrand-xbox-series-x-to-sega-series-x-in-japan-edit-sega-announcing-arcade-cloud-cloud-gaming-for-arcade-store/1/#18

One, there was hardly anyone in that thread, like five people or less, talking about MS buying out Sega and making their IPs Xbox exclusive. And most of those people are not even “MS fans”, they were hoping for that to happen just to see the meltdowns. Secondly the thread was about a partnership for naming the XSX in Japan, it had nothing to do with buying exclusive IP rights. Are you implying that MS and Sega forming a partnership to name the console something else in Japan is the same as outright buying Sega and making them exclusive? lol What a silly post. Lastly who is defensive about a timed exclusive? Someone corrected the user about FF7R part one being a timed exclusive. Seems pretty straight forward.

Blood_Tears said:
Mnementh said:

But MS helped to bring it over, same with what they are doing with Korean studios.  Heck Spencer said they want to bring it over to the West and it will be on more platforms than xbox one:

Spencer simply revealed that, “Yes, it’ll [PSO2] end up on all platforms, that’s not the point. To me, the point was to have Sega back on our stage, it’s been a while, with a franchise that I think can be relevant.” So there we have it: Phantasy Star Online 2 PS4 in the west is happening, but we just don’t know when that will be. Also, note that it might just be limited to the US; there’s no guarantee it’ll come to Europe yet.

eva01beserk said:
Jranation said:
Idk why gamers support this practices. Like I get it if it was published or funded by the big 3. But if its not what is stopping them fro. Making it multiplat?

I'm not sure how many suport it. All I can tell you is I don't. But games like bayoneta that would not have been made without the investment of nintendo, that is the type of game I have no problem with being exclusive. Its either be exclusive or game is not being made.

Yeah. That type of exclusive from third party devs make sense. There is no problem with that. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

This thread is just wishful thinking all over the place. I expect the opposite. This gen was the first one when PC, Xbox and Playstation consoles has become way too similar in terms of hardware architecture. And a lot of tools has become available throughout the gen that streamline multiplatform development. One of the most notable being Unreal Engine 4. Even despite Playstation crushing Xbox in sales this gen, a lot of big and medium-sized Japanese franchises has started appearing on Xbox by the end of the gen with Xbox often seen as having no audience for such games. Kingdom Hearts, Yakuza, Tales of (which except one entry moneyhatted by MS always skipped Xbox), Valkyria Chronicles, Bamco stuff, all previously being console exclusive or even fully exclusive to Playstation, all went multiplatform. Persona is going to Steam and probably will come to Xbox as well in the future. Because with a modern dev tools, there is no real reason to leave any platform left out. It's just unneeded lost sales. The only way I can see this happening is if Xbox Series X flops in terms of sales in a big way or Sony buying third party exclusivity which they can't afford to do that much as they won't have that much money for it.

shikamaru317 said:
Blood_Tears said:

That wasn't really a moneyhat though. Sega had abandoned plans to localize Phantasy Star Online 2 back in 2013, after they had originally announced plans to localize it in 2012. It was thanks to Phil's frequent trips to Japan to try and win some JP developer support on Xbox that Sega finally decided to localize the game, on Xbox first, then PC a month later. It will likely come to the west on PS4 and Switch as well eventually, and PS and Nintendo fans while have Phil to thank for that because Sega was perfectly content to keep the game Japan only until he came along.

The thing with PSO2 is that Microsoft provided Azure servers to SEGA for western release. Without this, the game would have never gotten the infrastructure to run on in the first place.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Sogreblute said:
Street Fighter V - Not exclusive
No Man's Sky - Not exclusive
Neir Automata - Not exclusive
Crash N' Sane Trillogy - Not exclusive
Final Fantasy VII Remake, - Not exclusive
Dragon Quest XI - Not exclusive

Every console manufacturer has been getting less and less 3rd party exclusives every generation. 3rd party companies now see they will make much more money making games multiplat. The PS5 will have even less exclusives than the PS4. There is no reason for 3rd parties to limit their fan bases anymore.

SFV is console exclusive. No Man's Sky, Neir Automata, Crash, and DQ were timed exclusive. Final Fantasy VII Remake is a full on exclusive. Like I said, the days of the PS1 and PS2 are over, but that doesn't mean Sony won't enjoy exclusivity of some kind from third parties, especially if they outsell Xbox AGAIN. 

DQXI was not even timed exclusive. It also released on 3DS alongside the PS4 in Japan.

goopy20 said:
Bonzinga said:

It is a small drop in the ocean if we are including the entire gaming industry which I am, hence why I said gaming industry and not just the console industry. I am including everything like the Mobile, Portable and PC markets which eat up a lot of the gaming market and considering consoles are becoming a lot more like PCs like sharing the same architectures etc, it means developers have a lot more options than just one high selling console brand. PS5 could go out and sell another 100m consoles life time, however we know the industry is a lot bigger than 100m consoles, we also know the console market is at least 3 times that size since Gen 7 sold roughly 270m consoles. Now include the PC eco-system and than the mobile industry to that 270m number and you see my point, 100m is a small amount in a industry that big. Potential sales is just too big to miss out on overall however I wont doubt Sony and MS will money hat developers to force gamers to their platforms, Stadia has already started doing it with 15 timed exclusives on there way to Googles platform.

I dunno man. Sounds kinda hard for a developer to support everything. Either they are making mobile/ indie games or they are making AAA type games that typically sell big numbers on consoles. It would make little sense for an Indie developer to go exclusive on ps5, but for the studios that make games that historically sell 3:1 on a Sony console, they absolutely might. 

It's not that far fetched to see a bunch of exclusives from Capcom, Square Enix, From Software, Team Ninja, Kojima etc. At least not if it's really that much easier to develop for the ps5 like we've been hearing.

Its not weather or not a dev wants to support the entire industry or just the consoles, its the point of grasping as much as you can as the bigger the audience equals the more chance of sales. Example: Why should a dev choose to develop a game on 50m consoles compared to selling there game on 150m consoles? If the platform holders want to spend their money to keep it off other systems, than it becomes anti-consumer and a loss of sales as 1 system does not make up the pedigree of the gaming industry. Do we want our favourite games being locked up? because it easily goes both ways in this business. What Sony locks up will push Xbox to lock up games and than we get a snow ball affect where all platform makers are buying the 3rd party games and your libraries will be all over the place.

Anyway will wait and see, I have no doubt Sony will want to buy as many 3rd party games as possible to showcase their new SSD technology. I am also sure this will lead to competitors counter reacting and doing the same. Time will tell.

Bonzinga said:
goopy20 said:

I dunno man. Sounds kinda hard for a developer to support everything. Either they are making mobile/ indie games or they are making AAA type games that typically sell big numbers on consoles. It would make little sense for an Indie developer to go exclusive on ps5, but for the studios that make games that historically sell 3:1 on a Sony console, they absolutely might. 

It's not that far fetched to see a bunch of exclusives from Capcom, Square Enix, From Software, Team Ninja, Kojima etc. At least not if it's really that much easier to develop for the ps5 like we've been hearing.

Its not weather or not a dev wants to support the entire industry or just the consoles, its the point of grasping as much as you can as the bigger the audience equals the more chance of sales. Example: Why should a dev choose to develop a game on 50m consoles compared to selling there game on 150m consoles? If the platform holders want to spend their money to keep it off other systems, than it becomes anti-consumer and a loss of sales as 1 system does not make up the pedigree of the gaming industry. Do we want our favourite games being locked up? because it easily goes both ways in this business. What Sony locks up will push Xbox to lock up games and than we get a snow ball affect where all platform makers are buying the 3rd party games and your libraries will be all over the place.

Anyway will wait and see, I have no doubt Sony will want to buy as many 3rd party games as possible to showcase their new SSD technology. I am also sure this will lead to competitors counter reacting and doing the same. Time will tell.

I agree. Locking up games, just so the other platform can't have them, sucks. But I'm all for it if it means the game won't be held back and won't have stinking elevators across all platforms.

For a developer it doesn't always make financial sense to support everything. Development should be faster and cheaper if they only target ps5 (if what they say about the ps5 devkit is true). Also some games just don't sell on certain platforms. Games like Splatoon or Animals Crossing probably would sell like ass on anything but a Nintendo console. However, it took a lot of effort to port Witcher 3 to the Switch and it barely sold 700k copies, compared to 11m on the ps4. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 11 June 2020