By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Wars are mostly dead...

Cerebralbore101 said:
The only console generation where one of the main competitors wasn't either shooting themselves in the foot or starting with a severe handicapp was the Megadrive/SNES generation. During the NES era the whole industry crashed and Nintendo came from out of nowhere to fill the void. N64 shot itself in the foot with carts instead of CDs, during the PS1/N64 era. Gamecube shot itself in the foot with tiny disks, and no DVD playback ability. Xbox started from the severe handicapp of being an entirely new player to the wars. PS3 shot itself in the foot at launch. XB1 shot itself in the foot with "always online DRM" almost being a thing on the console, and packed in Kinect driving up the price.

Mostly true, but Sega shot themselves in the foot by the add-ons to the Mega Drive/Genesis. Did it directly hurt the Mega Drive/Genesis? Probably not. But it cost them dearly with the Saturn and Dreamcast. The Sega CD and 32X were the beginning of the end for Sega as a hardware manufacturer. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Deeds said:

Console wars are stupid, immature and petty. However, Sony is f****** garbage and its nice to see their teeth getting kicked in.

I'm curious. Did they kill your puppy or are you just immature?

Back in 2013, actors Grahame Edwards, Eryl Lloyd Parry, and Anthony Sergeant dramatically reconstructed a YouTube comment section argument over whether the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One would be better. It made me laugh. A lot. It captured the pretentious drama of calling people names and such over stuff like gaming consoles in all its amusing pettiness. (You can find that comment reconstruction here.) That's what I think of the hardcore console warriors out there. That's how such people strike me.

In all honesty though, at the same time, I often feel sorry for those types of people in as far as they still exist at this point. When I was a kid, most gamers only got one home console per console generation. For example, one who owned a Super NES (or Super Nintendo, as we called it back then) probably didn't also have a Sega Genesis (or a Sega, as it was more often simply called at the time) and vice versa. Today though, it seems like most gamers wind up getting more than one home console per generation. Like for example, most Switch owners also have a PlayStation 4 that they had bought earlier on. That cultural change has definitely reduced the intensity of people's console warring in general over time, in my observation. I think aggressive console warring of the type we're referring to here is something mostly reserved for the exceptions to that rule: the kids who still only get one console per generation or the adults who can only afford one. That can make blindly devoted brand loyalists out of people. There's a level on which I can sympathize with that. Doesn't make the results of that often excessive brand loyalty less funny to watch unfold though.

(And, for those who watched the video, I am grateful to Bob and his army for finally defeating Google+.)

Last edited by Jaicee - on 02 November 2019

As long as there are more than 1 gamer and 1 console in the world, the console war will keep going strong...

Replicant said:
Deeds said:

Console wars are stupid, immature and petty. However, Sony is f****** garbage and its nice to see their teeth getting kicked in.

I'm curious. Did they kill your puppy or are you just immature?

He was a victim of the last great console wars and his parents got killed by a flock of ps4's,they did not stand a chance.

:(

Around the Network

Maybe, but I know real full grown men at work that are very dedicated to one console and enjoy trashing the other. So people are still fighting over this stuff and it's not just kids anymore. Pretty similar situation with Apple vs Android.

tag. There's some fun stuff in this thread. And I only looked at the first 20 posts.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Yeah we're sort of back to that PS2-XB-GC generation where it's basically just Sony running away with everything in the console space, so there's really no reason to trash talk b/c Sony has just utterly steamrolled everything again. Only difference is you now have Nintendo's Switch which seems to be starting to carry the torch for the most rapidly selling console, though they almost occupy another space entirely being more of a handheld than a console and existing somewhat in their own generation. Meanwhile MS is retreating more to the PC gaming space it seems.

So you now have all 3 major companies sort of occupying their own niche or gaming turf and they don't quite seem to be at odds with eachother like before. Good for business I suppose but doesn't make for the most exciting "console war" face-offs or fans going at one another. Though I'd sort of prefer this to be honest haha. I grew out of that petty gaming fanboy stuff at least a decade ago. I couldn't care less which console or company you'd prefer. I don't even care if you have a deep-seated hatred for Nintendo (so long as you don't criticize their fans). To each their own!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Here's hoping for a probably unlikely return - I expect Sony to far and away beat MS, not to mention that Nintendo is far ahead as it is, anyway. I will say that the 7th generation was the generation for discussing games online. Peace by no means!

Amnesia said:
I believe that it has never been as brutal and crual as it is today just before the 9th gen. Next gen will see one of the 3 dying from hardware battle I think, despite a very slow start, I believe also that Google will have eaten everything within 10-15 years and only the exclusive IP departement of SONY and Nintendo will remain to produce their games for Google.

If and when streaming becomes a thing, it will not be Google.  Stadia is a joke in every way and will be dead on arrival with HEAVY changes to their model.  Anyone who would pay full price for the ability to stream a game that can be removed at anytime is buying into a fool's market.

Personally I would rather have all digital than the trash google is bringing out.  At least then my game is downloaded and can be played even after it gets removed from the store.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261