By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Wars are mostly dead...

RolStoppable said:

An anecdote of a PS4 purchase doesn't hold much weight because the alternatives in that generation were very weak. Also, most PS+ subscribers don't download their free games. Even the highly popular Rocket League was downloaded by only about half of the subscribers at the time and that's the best case scenario. Download rates for other games can be expected to be (well) below 10% of active subscribers during any given month, so that's a few million people at best.

Do we have numbers for that? Or is it only an anecdote which doesn't hold much weight?

Around the Network

PS5 and Scarlet will be equal in terms of spec but will be different in terms of service, games and games quality . Next year will be even pointless tf anyone assuming there will be another consoles war between Sony fans and Xbox Fans . What i can see is war between a united front of local hardware gaming versus cloud streaming. Switch is even out of the circle because it can serve both Sony and Xbox fans. Switch is more like a PC in hierarchy . For a lot of people Switch and PC gaming will be owned by PS fans and Xbox owner, I can see Cloud gaming will fall on the same category as an additional gaming console not as a primary consoles.

Shiken said:
Amnesia said:
I believe that it has never been as brutal and crual as it is today just before the 9th gen. Next gen will see one of the 3 dying from hardware battle I think, despite a very slow start, I believe also that Google will have eaten everything within 10-15 years and only the exclusive IP departement of SONY and Nintendo will remain to produce their games for Google.

If and when streaming becomes a thing, it will not be Google.  Stadia is a joke in every way and will be dead on arrival with HEAVY changes to their model.  Anyone who would pay full price for the ability to stream a game that can be removed at anytime is buying into a fool's market.

Personally I would rather have all digital than the trash google is bringing out.  At least then my game is downloaded and can be played even after it gets removed from the store.

But it is not like you will have the choice.

HollyGamer said:
 What i can see is war between a united front of local hardware gaming versus cloud streaming.

How can there be a united front when both Sony and Microsoft offer local hardware gaming (PS5, Xbox Scarlett) and also cloud streaming (PS Now + Xcloud).

Nintendo is also evaluating cloud streaming: https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/13/nintendo-were-evaluating-streaming/

In Japan you can already stream Resident Evil 7 + Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. After the launch of PS5 + Scarlett, there will probably be much more of these streamed Switch versions.

Deeds said:

Console wars are stupid, immature and petty. However, Sony is f****** garbage and its nice to see their teeth getting kicked in.

People, pay attention.  This is how you construct a good post.  Make a statement and then provide an immediate example in the second sentence that perfectly illustrates what you said in the first sentence. 

Well done.

Around the Network
chakkra said:

You just don't feel it here because the moderation were so good at they did that they slowly drifted the discussion away, and the fact that at some point they felt so onesided in favor of Nintendo didn't help. I feel like this site have been slowly turning into a Nintendo sanctuary for the last couple of years.

Nice conspiracy theory, but nah. We don't moderate individuals due to their platform preferences.

Deeds said:

Console wars are stupid, immature and petty. However, Sony is f****** garbage and its nice to see their teeth getting kicked in.

Oh, the irony...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

RolStoppable said:
Xxain said:

Dont count on it.

MS has made it clear that Stadia will be their major enemy and that is because Stadia is doing what  MS has wanted to do all along. Those studio's MS acquired were not to bloster strength against Sony, but to ensure enough content for the fight for "games as a service" war. MS could care less about winning the console wars and the only reason they're going with another one is just to keep fans on board to help win that fight.

I definitely think you are underestimating Sony. They will not start from scratch. Sony is making moves that ensure all those useres who loved PS4 or PS in general will have hard time not choosing PS5. PS5 is looking to be very similar to Wii U and Switch where Switch literally ate the Wii U and just built on top of it but in PS5's case its not just tech, but user stats: trophies, games, save data, , PS store, Ps now ext. If you gamed heavily on PS4 why would you not choose PS5? You start where you left off.

Microsoft doesn't need an Xbox-focused strategy to perform better than with the huge blunders they committed with the Xbox One. The execution of the Xbox One was so awful that even a mediocre execution of Scarlett is bound to lead to gains gen over gen.

You overestimate brand loyalty a great deal. History has shown time and time again that the majority of gamers has no problem to leave games, save data and achievements behind, because new consoles are bought to play new games. As for starting from scratch, I clearly refered to installed base and there's no debate that the PS5 will start with sales of 0.

That's hardly a guaranteed thing, though.  XBO isn't exactly going out with a bang like PS3 did, which helped gain gamers' trust and interest, some of who they may have lost at the start, in the PS brand going forward.  It also helped the PS3 crawl past the 360, even though the 360 had almost all the advantages PS4 had early in its lifetime.  It doesn't hurt that there actually is very strong brand loyalty for PS in EU and Japan.  The real point, though, is that Sony didn't just sit around saying, "Please, be excited for next gen," while releasing mediocre game after mediocre game, with maybe one or two good ones in the mix.  Something Xbox has been doing the past couple of years. 

Even if Xbox tries its hardest next gen, there may be tons of gamers who are just done with them, at least in terms of HW.  And we know the boss, MS, is more interested in going into the streaming side of things, something that also may put gamers off.  I mean, if Scarlett doesn't perform well for the first year or two, I wouldn't be surprised if MS pulls the plug on making more, putting those resources into pushing xCloud/GamerPass.  PlayStation consoles, on the other hand, are very important to Sony.

It's also important to note that the PS4 is the first time Plus was required for online play, meaning more people got it and took advantage of the games it provided.  We also have 1M+ subbed to PS Now, which will continue to grow now that the price was halved.  Add in the great exclusive output mentioned above, PS4 B/C, and the fact that PS5 and Scarlett will be pretty damn close in power (with rumors saying PS5 is a little more powerful) and probably price, there is even less reason to switch next gen.

As for your other post, you are correct that B/C isn't ever a main factor to buy a new console, but it does help.  However, in the XBO's case, B/C definitely doesn't matter when it comes out 2 years after launch.

TruckOSaurus said:
The console wars are alive and well. You just have to check replies in this thread who pretend the Switch isn't a home console because they don't like the competition it brings.

Depends on the type of competition you're using to compare.

2:45 - 3:30 

Which is the home console and which is the hybrid? I can't find a vid where a red bull rocket (handheld) joins the race unfortunately.

Amnesia said:
Shiken said:

If and when streaming becomes a thing, it will not be Google.  Stadia is a joke in every way and will be dead on arrival with HEAVY changes to their model.  Anyone who would pay full price for the ability to stream a game that can be removed at anytime is buying into a fool's market.

Personally I would rather have all digital than the trash google is bringing out.  At least then my game is downloaded and can be played even after it gets removed from the store.

But it is not like you will have the choice.

The only way that happens is if people are stupid enough to support it to begin with.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I might get flak for this comment but for me, console wars were over since I built my PC in 2011.
Sony has some great games yeah, but their current lineup doesn't interest me.
Xbox the same + I can play them on PC.
Nintendo because I can be kind of an ideologue due to the let's play videos issue.