By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Wars are mostly dead...

Immersiveunreality said:
Replicant said:

I'm curious. Did they kill your puppy or are you just immature?

He was a victim of the last great console wars and his parents got killed by a flock of ps4's,they did not stand a chance.

:(

Nah, Sony has been trash since Akio Morita died. This is why Samsung, Apple and LG ate their lunch. People who buy phones, Tvs, etc. realized that Sony was garbage a loooooong time ago. Gamers haven't realized it yet for some weird reason. Gamers who like portables realized it fast though and Japan realized it fast too.

Last edited by Deeds - on 02 November 2019

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
chakkra said:

You just don't feel it here because the moderation were so good at they did that they slowly drifted the discussion away, and the fact that at some point they felt so onesided in favor of Nintendo didn't help. I feel like this site have been slowly turning into a Nintendo sanctuary for the last couple of years.

Nice conspiracy theory, but nah. We don't moderate individuals due to their platform preferences.

To be honest, I'm not up to date on how things are being runned nowadays around here, since I don't frequent the forums nearly as much as I used to, but I remember the days of the "falling of a cliff-guy" (don't remember his name). That guy sometimes got modded simply for doing sales predictions because somehow that was considered "console warring," and yet he got relentlessly bullied for his "falling of a cliff" prediction FOR MONTHS, even after he apologized for it MULTIPLE TIMES and nobody ever got a simple warning for that behavior.

Wow...just wow! Some of these comments. I'm tagging for the sheer entertainment. Especially to Rol's post where he got the most likes. I'm surprised some of the Sony fans didn't call him out for the sneak digs at them concerning Nintendo. Although what he said had valid points, he still kind of went at them. Just an observation. Don't come at me, Rol.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

RolStoppable said:
Conina said:

Do we have numbers for that? Or is it only an anecdote which doesn't hold much weight?

Yes, we have enough numbers to come to that conclusion.

Rocket League was free on PS+ in July 2015. Approximately 5m free downloads. At the time of the below announcement, Rocket League still had one week of being free left, but said 5m figure also includes purchases of the game on Steam and the PS4.
https://www.polygon.com/2015/7/29/9069709/rocket-league-hits-5m-downloads-more-than-double-that-of-predecessor

Sony didn't provide regular updates for the number of PS+ subscribers in the early years of the PS4, but making an estimate for the number of subscribers in July 2015 isn't too hard. Definitely above 10m subscribers.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/532431/playstation-plus-subscribers-global/

Rocket League gained immense traction, but more than half of all subscribers who could have gotten it for free still didn't bother to download it. Hardly surprising when online multiplayer is the main and commonly sole reason for people to subscribe to PS+. PS+ is a service that launched in 2010, but had only 1m subscribers by the time the PS4 launched. It was only when online multiplayer was put behind the paywall that the service gained traction.

Now you could speculate that less popular games than Rocket League achieve the same or better download rates, but that's neither reasonable nor realistic. The selection of free PS+ titles hasn't been exactly stellar in the last few years either.

thismeintiel said:

That's hardly a guaranteed thing, though.  XBO isn't exactly going out with a bang like PS3 did, which helped gain gamers' trust and interest, some of who they may have lost at the start, in the PS brand going forward.  It also helped the PS3 crawl past the 360, even though the 360 had almost all the advantages PS4 had early in its lifetime.  It doesn't hurt that there actually is very strong brand loyalty for PS in EU and Japan.  The real point, though, is that Sony didn't just sit around saying, "Please, be excited for next gen," while releasing mediocre game after mediocre game, with maybe one or two good ones in the mix.  Something Xbox has been doing the past couple of years. 

Even if Xbox tries its hardest next gen, there may be tons of gamers who are just done with them, at least in terms of HW.  And we know the boss, MS, is more interested in going into the streaming side of things, something that also may put gamers off.  I mean, if Scarlett doesn't perform well for the first year or two, I wouldn't be surprised if MS pulls the plug on making more, putting those resources into pushing xCloud/GamerPass.  PlayStation consoles, on the other hand, are very important to Sony.

It's also important to note that the PS4 is the first time Plus was required for online play, meaning more people got it and took advantage of the games it provided.  We also have 1M+ subbed to PS Now, which will continue to grow now that the price was halved.  Add in the great exclusive output mentioned above, PS4 B/C, and the fact that PS5 and Scarlett will be pretty damn close in power (with rumors saying PS5 is a little more powerful) and probably price, there is even less reason to switch next gen.

As for your other post, you are correct that B/C isn't ever a main factor to buy a new console, but it does help.  However, in the XBO's case, B/C definitely doesn't matter when it comes out 2 years after launch.

Is that your obligatory "Microsoft will make a hard exit from the console market" prediction?

Anyway, your line of reasoning that it is important to close out a generation with a bang doesn't have merit. What counts is how the new generation starts and that's what decided PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U. After all, the PS2 finished strong and that didn't help the PS3. The Xbox One wasn't done in by late 360 support, it struggled because of the Xbox One.

Poor late life support doesn't hurt a new console. The latest example of that is Switch which followed the Wii U and its last year had Paper Mario: Color Splash and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Of course I remember that most of the awful lifetime sales for Switch predictions were in part based on the belief that gamers are done with Nintendo because of the Wii U. But the predecessor is virtually irrelevant for purchase decisions of a next generation console, because people evaluate what they intend to buy, not some kind of related product that isn't in consideration to begin with.

Has been and will continue to be my prediction.  Of the Big 3, they are the ones most likely to do it.  Even more so, now, with the parent company gearing up for a streaming future.

Actually, the PS2 finishing strong did help the PS3.  Without a strong PS2, there would be no brand loyalty in any region.  Sony would always do better in Japan, but EU would have been up for grabs.  It helped Sony and the PS brand to survive something no one ever has.  A system that saw weaker multiplats for the first couple of years, didn't get a real system seller until Uncharted released a year after launch, and, more importantly, was $200 more expensive than the competition for 3 years.  And it still outsold the 360 in the end, and came only 15M units shy of the Wii.  Sony continued their tradition of legacy support and gamers took notice.  Even if you don't want to admit that fact, there's one you have to admit.  Lack of good support, which started about halfway through the gen, sure as Hell isn't going to help the Scarlett's position with gamers.

As for Switch, it isn't just a successor to the Wii U, but also the 3DS, which has sold over 75M units, so far.  It's interesting how people remember and forget this fact, depending on their argument.  And the predictions I remember seeing concerning low sales were based on it being $299, which makes sense considering the 3DS sold poorly for $249 just 6 years earlier.  The hybrid nature and big power increase over the 3DS, as well as good support, won gamers over.

chakkra said:
Pemalite said:

Nice conspiracy theory, but nah. We don't moderate individuals due to their platform preferences.

To be honest, I'm not up to date on how things are being runned nowadays around here, since I don't frequent the forums nearly as much as I used to, but I remember the days of the "falling of a cliff-guy" (don't remember his name). That guy sometimes got modded simply for doing sales predictions because somehow that was considered "console warring," and yet he got relentlessly bullied for his "falling of a cliff" prediction FOR MONTHS, even after he apologized for it MULTIPLE TIMES and nobody ever got a simple warning for that behavior.

There isn't a Nintendo bias.

We have never moderated anyone due to their platform preferences, we don't give two rats what people game on, we care about their behavior. - If someone is being toxic and they prefer <insert platform of choice here> than that is merely coincidence.

As for that individual you speak of... I can't really speak about it as I don't have enough information to go on.
But there is deliberation that goes on behind the scenes whenever a moderation takes place that forum users are oblivious to, chances are they were removed for other reasons you aren't privy to. - If you think we dropped the ball somewhere, you are more than welcomed to send a mod a message and we will converse on the issue or take the issue to the rest of the team. (Within reason, there are some things that can't be said outside mod chat.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Deeds said:
Immersiveunreality said:

He was a victim of the last great console wars and his parents got killed by a flock of ps4's,they did not stand a chance.

:(

Nah, Sony has been trash since Akio Morita died. This is why Samsung, Apple and LG ate their lunch. People who buy phones, Tvs, etc. realized that Sony was garbage a loooooong time ago. Gamers haven't realized it yet for some weird reason. Gamers who like portables realized it fast though and Japan realized it fast too.

Thought you were joking before.

It is mildly entertaining to see people going in blind offense or defense when talking about a brand,that underlying anger is a bit worrying though but there are therapists for that.

RolStoppable said:
Conina said:

Do we have numbers for that? Or is it only an anecdote which doesn't hold much weight?

Yes, we have enough numbers to come to that conclusion.

Rocket League was free on PS+ in July 2015. Approximately 5m free downloads. At the time of the below announcement, Rocket League still had one week of being free left, but said 5m figure also includes purchases of the game on Steam and the PS4.
https://www.polygon.com/2015/7/29/9069709/rocket-league-hits-5m-downloads-more-than-double-that-of-predecessor

Sony didn't provide regular updates for the number of PS+ subscribers in the early years of the PS4, but making an estimate for the number of subscribers in July 2015 isn't too hard. Definitely above 10m subscribers.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/532431/playstation-plus-subscribers-global/

Rocket League gained immense traction, but more than half of all subscribers who could have gotten it for free still didn't bother to download it. Hardly surprising when online multiplayer is the main and commonly sole reason for people to subscribe to PS+. PS+ is a service that launched in 2010, but had only 1m subscribers by the time the PS4 launched. It was only when online multiplayer was put behind the paywall that the service gained traction.

Now you could speculate that less popular games than Rocket League achieve the same or better download rates, but that's neither reasonable nor realistic. The selection of free PS+ titles hasn't been exactly stellar in the last few years either.

Enough numbers for all your assumptions above? One tweet about the 5 million downloads for one game?

If that's not just anecdotal then I don't know what is.

How do you know that only 5 million PS+ subscribers downloaded Rocket League? That was just an intermediate status after 3 weeks. We don't know how many PS+ subscribers downloaded it in the following week (or activated it in the PS+ month and downloaded it later).

How do you know that Rocket League was the best case scenario and that it has gone downhill after that? Rocket League was still a hidden gem in its month of release, the huge popularity came later (and for a big part due to the word of mouth of the PS+ subscribers). Of course there were more niche games on PS+ with less downloads, but there were also much more prominent games on PS+. To generalize that download rates for other PS+ games can be expected to be (well) below 10% of active subscribers during any given month is just stupid.

Pigeonhole thinking at its best.

chakkra said:
Pemalite said:

I am pretty sure if someone at the same time predicted PS4 would falling off a cliff as it is a fad, exactly the same would've happened. Modding and mocking.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

jangelelcangry said:
I might get flak for this comment but for me, console wars were over since I built my PC in 2011.
Sony has some great games yeah, but their current lineup doesn't interest me.
Xbox the same + I can play them on PC.
Nintendo because I can be kind of an ideologue due to the let's play videos issue.

Thats a friendly comment just talking about your opinion and what you like so i do not think it will get flak;)

I do think Nintendo changed policy regarding Lets Plays

here

I think the next gen will see the rise of consoles to challenge PC in every possible way.