By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Wars are mostly dead...

RolStoppable said:
COKTOE said:

Yeah, I was only thinking home consoles. You forgot the black hole that was the Virtual Boy though. A system so bad Nintendo lost to themselves.

I guess a win is a win, but Nintendo lost bad with the N64, GC, and Wii-U. PS had much better numbers with their PSP, and PS3 losses. Put the combined numbers of the PS losses against those of it's Nintendo counterparts. There are levels to these things. 

Hm...

When we fight a little bit, it's important that we are both aware of the stances we take. This here has an odd progression.

1. I say that Sony fans have a harder time to cope with losses.
2. You say that Sony fans haven't had to deal with losses as often.
3. I point out that the number of losses are equal.
4. You point out that Sony's losses have been by smaller margins on average.

If Sony loses by lower amounts, but their fans are more furious about losses, doesn't that make the behavior of Sony fans even worse with that added context?

Let's suspend this to regroup. And perhaps reconsider if we even want to continue.

See, here's the problem though. The numbers as they are, are indisputable. However, your psychoanalysis of the entire PS fan base is what I take umbrage with, and what drew me into this exchange, as you can see from my initial quote. I don't pretend to know how much you may, or may not, keep track of such matters, but I have an understanding that you may keep a certain amount of data at hand in order to bolster any arguments that come your way in the future. Not a knock. More power to you if you keep some tabs. I wish I had done it on more than a few occasions.

Are you in possession of any information that would convince me that the "Sony fanbase has the most trouble to come to grips with defeats?" In this very thread, a member of which fan base was the recipient of a two week ban? 

Last edited by COKTOE - on 03 November 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
COKTOE said:

I guess we just don't have as much practice as Nintendo fans when it comes to dealing with defeat. You know what they say: "You don't get better at something be not doing it." The scenario simply hasn't manifested itself that often.

Occurences of losing:

Nintendo: N64, GC, Wii U.
Sony: PSP, PS3, PSV.
Microsoft: Xbox, 360, One.

Three times for each camp.

I see PS3 as a winner in the end. It started with so many problems and issues but by the end of its run had an amazing turnaround that helped the momentum of PS4.

RolStoppable said:

Occurences of losing:

360?

And why would the 360 be considered losing?

Azzanation said:
RolStoppable said:

Occurences of losing:

360?

I am sure what that user meant is that Wii won that era.

Azzanation said:
RolStoppable said:

Occurences of losing:

360?

The same reason the PSP would be considered losing.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

The Vita situation is completely different.  HHs were never Sony's bread and butter.  They were successful with their first attempt.  Unfortunately, the HH market shrank considerably after that gen.  Sony knew it, and saw no way to recover, so dropped focus on it to focus on their actual bread and butter, home consoles.  Even Nintendo knows the HH market shrank.  Why do you think they went with a hybrid?  They had a HH that was the 2nd best selling console of all time, with over 150M in sales and good competition from a 80M+ selling PSP, and within one generation they weren't even going to hit 80M with absolutely no competition from Sony's Vita.  So, again, you are wrong.  Please, do try again, though.

No, that's the price comparison YOU want to do because you think it helps your argument.  Actual price comparisons are done between either entry price points or average prices, not the most expensive model for one vs the cheapest model for another, just because it suits you.  And the base models were not gimped.  They did everything the more expensive models did, only lacked a larger HDD.  And if that's how you wish to do the comparison, then you should do the most expensive for both.  Of course, all 3 real methods, entry point, average price, and most expensive, will just back my point up.

I didn't say you were saying it would do better.  You were arguing that it will cut into PS5's market share, though. Sounded like in the hope that the PS5 wouldn't pass the Switch.  I'm saying we have no idea if that it will be the case.  MS hasn't done a very good job this gen to convince people to continue to stick with them, or stay for next gen.  And with MS really wanting to switch to streaming, it would lower my confidence in them really caring about the HW side of things.  And like I said, their new 1st party has yet to prove itself under MS's guidance.  Their track record in that aspect isn't the greatest.  Nor is the output of their exclusives in the back half of the gen.

I did make one of those predictions.  I've never hid that fact.  But, to say it had no basis in logic after a failed Wii U and a 3DS that failed at the $249 price point is just showing your blind bias.  That has more grounding in logic than the predictions from some Nintendo fans that claimed PS4/XBO were doomed and the console market was dying, all because the successor to the almighty Wii had failed.  Now, I will say that if people had those predictions after a year of the Switch being on the market, then yes, they were blinded by their own bias.  But, before launch, and maybe even slightly after it, there was perfectly sound logic in that assumption.

In other words, you have no argument, so resort to insults.  You are right, these upcoming console wars are going to be fun for me to watch. 

Nintendo made a hybrid because the technology was far enough advanced to make it possible; that's the hardware side. On the software side it was clear that development times for two distinct platforms were becoming too high as seen by the Wii U and 3DS which both went through extended droughts. So Switch isn't a consequence of a shrinking handheld market, but a consequence of game development times getting longer. If a hybrid hadn't been possible, then Nintendo would have made a home console and a handheld that share all their games between them. And yes, the Vita situation was completely different because all the system had were games. That's not the case for a home console. If you watch E3 2013 again, you'll see that the Vita got a shorter segment at Sony's press conference than the representative of Sony Music who talked about music on the upcoming PS4.

The 360 Arcade was most certainly gimped. It didn't have any HDD, so it ran on memory cards to store save data. That's why the $399 Xbox 360 sold so much better than the entry price model. That's why in the real world consumers compared the more expensive 360 to the PS3 and made their decision based on that, not whatever the crappy 360 SKU costed. That's why the most logical price comparison is to take the best-selling SKU from both manufacturers because those are the ones that the biggest amount of potential customers are looking at.

If you take the route of "we have no idea if that will be the case", you'll have to forego to challenge my argument because you have no idea how things are likely to play out.

The lack of logic in Switch sales predictions was picked apart in January 2017:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224719

Console wars are usually more fun to watch for the people who are either impartial or on the winning side. Neither will apply to you, unfortunately.

Revisionist history is an interesting study, but I choose to live in reality. The market was shrinking, simple as that. It's much easier to have a success when all of your effort goes into it, instead of being divided. Sony and Nintendo both knew this and followed down this path.

And the Core/Arcade could use a HDD, it just didn't come with one. You could also use an external HDD on it. I would also love to see your extensive research and data on which model sold what and what consumers were thinking when they bought the 360 over the PS3.

Lol, yes, you used your bias and what you hoped to be true to pick at other predictions, like many do. You're very fortunate the Switch was a hit. Of course, that doesn't change that there were logical reasons it could have failed. For you to not be able to admit that just shows blind bias.

You, of all people, have no credibility to call others out on their bias, as your prediction statements show. As for not being first, don't get too cocky. It may come back to bite you in the ass.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 03 November 2019

War never changes but the battlefields do and the front has moved on from VGchartz.

thismeintiel said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

All of your bullet points are good points.  Those are important factors.  In particular the most important factors in launching a successful console are 1) having a strong library of games and 2) price (in that order).  However launching early also helps.  Why? 

Because when a console launches early, that gives it a chance to build up a good library of games.  Then when the competitor launches the first console has a much larger library of games in comparison.  Also, the earlier a console launches, the earlier it can afford to drop its price.  This means that the earlier console can often be priced more competitively than the competition.  Launching early helps a console in both 1) game library and 2) price, and these are the 2 most important factors.  It doesn't guarantee a win or anything, but launching early definitely helps.

What was Sega's most successful console?  The Genesis (or Mega Drive).  It launched 2 years before the SNES.  What was Microsoft's most successful console?  The XBox360.  It launched a year before the PS3.  And of course there is the biggest transfer of fortunes in all of gaming with the PS1 vs. the N64.  The PS1 launched 1-2 years ahead of the N64 (depending on region).  None of these 3 consoles had a particularly strong launch, but they all did a lot better over their generation than their launch would indicate.  Their competition gave them time to get a stronger footing by releasing more games and being in a better position to drop their hardware price.  Releasing early helps quite a bit.  Given it can't save a console doomed to fail like the Saturn or Wii U.  But if the console has some potential, then an early start can give it a much bigger advantage.

One factor that notoriously does not help is power.  Waiting to launch a more powerful console is always a bad move.  History has taught us over and over again that console power does not help, and yet companies still fall into this same trap.  I can understand why.  If you ask a person if they would rather drive a Toyota or a Ferrari, then most will say Ferrari.  And yet every year Toyota sells a lot more cars than Ferrari does.  Price matters.  Price matters a lot more than power does.  Sony may be trying to brand the PS5 as the Ferrari of gaming, but then it is going to sell like the Ferrari of gaming.  Nintendo is very much branding Switch like the Toyota of gaming: simple, efficient, family friendly, etc....  Switch is already selling like the Toyota of gaming.

All of these reasons are why it really is a terrible idea for both Sony and Microsoft to wait until late 2020 to launch.  They are giving Switch a ton of time to build up a huge library of games, and at this point Nintendo can drop the price as much as they want (if they feel they need to).  Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft are delaying to release a powerful console, which is really more of a disadvantage.  Both companies are putting themselves at a huge disadvantage.  They both begging Nintendo to take them to school for generation 9.

The Saturn launched months before the PS1.  The Dreamcast launched over a year before the PS2.  There's much more to it than launching early.  By your reasoning, those two should have been successes.  Or at the very least, knocked out the competition that launched after the PS1, the N64, and PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.  Instead they were both failures.  Launch dates really mean nothing, unless the machines, games, and price are going to be exactly the same, which never happens.

Really, I just don't get how hard this is to comprehend, the PS4 and the Switch ARE NOT directly competing with each other.  The Switch didn't kill the PS4's great sales, and vice versa.  They have different features, game libraries, and power levels.  Do you honestly think that someone who owned a PS4 this gen is going to "downgrade" to a Switch as their console for the next 6-7 years?  Hell no.  They are going to want the greatly upgraded power that comes with the PS5 and, more than likely, the exclusives on that system.  If they do get a Switch, it will be just like the Wii was with the PS3 and 360 owners last gen, they got it as a secondary console.

I agree with your first three statements, and in fact you can gather that from reading my post which you quoted.  But then you keep arguing after that.

It makes it seem like you are arguing against a straw man.

RolStoppable said:
COKTOE said:

See, here's the problem though. The numbers as they are, are indisputable. However, your psychoanalysis of the entire PS fan base is what I take umbrage with, and what drew me into this exchange, as you can see from my initial quote. I don't pretend to know how much you may, or may not, keep track of such matters, but I have an understanding that you may keep a certain amount of data at hand in order to bolster any arguments that come your way in the future. Not a knock. More power to you if you keep some tabs. I wish I had done it on more than a few occasions.

Are you in possession of any information that would convince me that the "Sony fanbase has the most trouble to come to grips with defeats?" In this very thread, a member of which fan base was the recipient of a two week ban? 

I don't have quick access to enough information to convince you of something of this magnitude. There are a variety of ways to gauge the behavior of a fanbase. One of which is permabans for trolling where the Sony camp comfortably leads, but those aren't statistics that the mod team keeps an actual record of, nevermind that it wouldn't be a publicly accessible one anyway. Bans are a consequence of aggressive responses, unsurprisingly most prominent during the PS3 era. Defensive behavior is another angle to this topic: The official Vita thread was used as a safe space by quite a few users to shelter themselves off from the rest of the site, especially sales threads; comparable behavior didn't occur in the Nintendo fanbase when the Wii U failed, but it did happen in the Xbox camp when the Xbox One struggled hard.

As for the psychoanalysis fo the entire PS fanbase as you put it, that's not really accurate. What my original post was getting at is that the PS camp has a higher percentage of users who have a hard time coping with losses and an example of such behavior is the inability to admit that the Wii beat the PS3 (I already used this example in my original post). What shouldn't be done is take the leap and interpret my statements as the majority of PS fans are like that, let alone all of them. But I am obviously aware that statements like I made cause moments of anger even among PS fans who actually know that they weren't addressed. It's the effect of association: Something bad was said about fans of camp X, I am part of camp X, something bad was said about me.

It's good that you asked the final question because it helps to explain this a bit more. You are refering to Deeds, a Nintendo fan. You are correct that he has always been an awful user, and that's regardless of how Nintendo performs; it's not like there aren't any terrible Nintendo fans. When someone says something negative about Deeds or Nintendo fans like him, it's something that I've learned not to associate myself with, so it doesn't bother me when fans of other camps go for it. If you are a PS fan and read my original post, take a few seconds to remind yourself that you don't fit the description and therefore aren't addressed by the post, it's not nearly as bad as it seemed at first glance.

To get back to the first question you asked, I think the most effective method to convince you is that you observe for yourself in the coming years. We are about to enter a phase where Sony is losing - it doesn't matter if losing is only by 1m, a loss is a loss - so statements like "Switch is a handheld", "Switch is in a different market" and a variety of other goalpost-moving will become a lot more common in order to rearrange reality in a way that crowns Sony as the winner.

Azzanation said:

360?

The 360 sold less than the Wii.

- "I don't have quick access to enough information to convince you of something of this magnitude"

Well, of course not. :) It was, really, a rhetorical question. Even within the relatively small confines of VGC, it would be nigh impossible to have a grasp on, the number of total bans, and much more importantly, having an ability to draw a ratios for - the number of "verified console X/Y/Z fans vs number of permabans across a span of 12 years. Going out into the greater internet wilds of fandom renders the idea of being able to accurately encapsulate, just generally, "which fanbase is the worst", a fool's errand. Your wording in the post is what is was though. It was simply : "the PS fanbase", which is, at the very least, fairly nebulous, and as such, prone to being interpreted in a negative way. Especially given the contentious nature of the topic(s) at hand, and the forum it's taking place in.

Anyway, have a good one.

Sorry I can't address more of your post. I'm literally pushing my time to it's limit with this post, so I have to leave it there.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo made a hybrid because the technology was far enough advanced to make it possible; that's the hardware side. On the software side it was clear that development times for two distinct platforms were becoming too high as seen by the Wii U and 3DS which both went through extended droughts. So Switch isn't a consequence of a shrinking handheld market, but a consequence of game development times getting longer. If a hybrid hadn't been possible, then Nintendo would have made a home console and a handheld that share all their games between them. And yes, the Vita situation was completely different because all the system had were games. That's not the case for a home console. If you watch E3 2013 again, you'll see that the Vita got a shorter segment at Sony's press conference than the representative of Sony Music who talked about music on the upcoming PS4.

The 360 Arcade was most certainly gimped. It didn't have any HDD, so it ran on memory cards to store save data. That's why the $399 Xbox 360 sold so much better than the entry price model. That's why in the real world consumers compared the more expensive 360 to the PS3 and made their decision based on that, not whatever the crappy 360 SKU costed. That's why the most logical price comparison is to take the best-selling SKU from both manufacturers because those are the ones that the biggest amount of potential customers are looking at.

If you take the route of "we have no idea if that will be the case", you'll have to forego to challenge my argument because you have no idea how things are likely to play out.

The lack of logic in Switch sales predictions was picked apart in January 2017:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224719

Console wars are usually more fun to watch for the people who are either impartial or on the winning side. Neither will apply to you, unfortunately.

Revisionist history is an interesting study, but I choose to live in reality. The market was shrinking, simple as that. It's much easier to have a success when all of your effort goes into it, instead of being divided. Sony and Nintendo both knew this and followed down this path.

And the Core/Arcade could use a HDD, it just didn't come with one. You could also use an external HDD on it. I would also love to see your extensive research and data on which model sold what and what consumers were thinking when they bought the 360 over the PS3.

Lol, yes, you used your bias and what you hoped to be true to pick at other predictions, like many do. You're very fortunate the Switch was a hit. Of course, that doesn't change that there were logical reasons it could have failed. For you to not be able to admit that just shows blind bias.

You, of all people, have no credibility to call others out on their bias, as your prediction statements show. As for not being first, don't get too cocky. It may come back to bite you in the ass.

I'm just here to say external HDD support (USB support, not the Microsoft brand HDDs) didn't arrive until like 2010. Even then, you were limited to how much storage you were allowed to use. Like 20GB or something small like that.

*Edit* I googled it. It was 32gb but apparently, as of 2015, it supports a full  external HDD. I'm gonna buy one tomorrow!!