By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Arlo - Addressing the Alleged Switch/Wii U Hypocrisy

Do you think the people praising the Switch's library are hypocrites for not praising/not buying the Wii U's library?

Nah, the Wii U Sucks. 23 58.97%

HYPOCRITES! Justice for the Wii U! 16 41.03%

Total:39

Youtuber Arlo tries and succeeds to address the Switch/WiiU Hypocrisy. To summarise, this meme tries to make it seem like the Wii U and the Switch library is so similar that you can't choose one over the other, however, this fails to address the following :

• Splatoon 2 is more of a sequel than a port of the game due to its many improvements and additions
  • One Kirby game is a boring spinoff  and the other is an actual is a main-series title
  • Mario Maker and Mario and Rabbids are not the same things other than they are Mario.
  • Breath of the wild didn't appear on until the Wii U's last year. Even then, why would anyone buy a Wii U for Breath of the Wild? The switch, on the other hand, has the game at launch.
  • Comparing the Underwhelming gameplay of Super Mario 3d World to the exiting return to sandbox approach to Super Mario Odyssey.
  • Most of the games on that list (except Breath of the Wild 3d World ) are good, but not system sellers. The Switch has Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart8, and Splatoon 2 year 1 and the rest of those games are supplements.
  • The games for the Wii U were released during the Wii U's entire 4-year run with plenty and plenty of droughts of software. The Switch has all of those games in a single year.
  • The Wii U is not as good of an appealing product as the Switch.
  • Stop generalizing fanbases, a fanbase can't be hypocritical when the individuals of the said fanbase can all have differing opinions.

Around the Network

So Switch good, Wii U bad? I knew of none such hypocrisy.

"To summarise, this meme tries to make it seem like the Wii U and the Switch library is so similar that you can't choose one over the other"

People actually believe that?

Edit: Watched the Arlo video, basically agree with more or less everything he said in the video.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 25 June 2018

Rocketjay8 said:
  • The games for the Wii U were released during the Wii U's entire 4-year run with plenty and plenty of droughts of software. The Switch has all of those games in a single year.
  • The Wii U is not as good of an appealing product as the Switch.

These two points are the major stuff, the others are only side-notes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

i can understand if people are not a fan of ports, but the Wii U was Nintendo's lowest selling selling console of all time (not counting the Virtual Boy). it only makes sense that they would want to take the few good titles the Wii U had and make them available to a larger number of people.

Around the Network

I think it'd be wrong to call them hypocrites, but I do think the Wii U was massively underappreciated. It took a long time for it's library to become substantial, but by the end of 2014 when Mario Kart, and Smash, and Bayonetta 2 were all in full swing, there was no excuse to not get a Wii U. And there was also all the big upcoming games that they showcased at E3.
The Wii U was releasing so much more quality that year than any other system, yet it still failed to get a lot of traction even with many of the Nintendo base, so I think I see where these people are coming from.

Honestly, if you need every new Nintendo console to have an historically great first year like the Switch, just to sell you on the new hardware, then it's gonna be hard for Nintendo to keep competing. Especially when the competition can get away with 2 whole years (arguably longer) of mediocrity, and still have record breaking sales.

Shaunodon said:

Honestly, if you need every new Nintendo console to have an historically great first year like the Switch, just to sell you on the new hardware, then it's gonna be hard for Nintendo to keep competing. Especially when the competition can get away with 2 whole years (arguably longer) of mediocrity, and still have record breaking sales.

Yep, that's brand building. People buy the system, because they believe the games come, and publishers bring the games, because they believe the gamers will come. So self-fulfilling prophecy. Nintendo and MS have to overcome the initial hurdle themself because they don't bring that brand image.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think the problem is that Sony and PS4 got a lot of criticism from Nintendo users about how they were putting out too many remastered early on in the gen, yet here we are and Nintendo is pretty much banking on Wii U ports after a decent first wave of exclusives. I mean, besides Kirby and the recent Mario Tennis, has Nintendo even put out a AAA Switch exclusive since SMO? Kindof disappointing, considering neither of games are quite up to par.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

The only thing that the existence of some of these games on the Wii U determines is that, with the exception of BotW due to a simultaneous release, none of those games were system sellers.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

DialgaMarine said:
I think the problem is that Sony and PS4 got a lot of criticism from Nintendo users about how they were putting out too many remastered early on in the gen, yet here we are and Nintendo is pretty much banking on Wii U ports after a decent first wave of exclusives. I mean, besides Kirby and the recent Mario Tennis, has Nintendo even put out a AAA Switch exclusive since SMO? Kindof disappointing, considering neither of games are quite up to par.

Yeah but how many consoles have 2 97/100 metacritic games in their first year ? Or even per year ? Pokémon and Smash will be 2018 AAA titles. I do not expect them to hit the 97/100 mark but still, 2 big games every year is something, especially with a lot of great smaller games. And I'm sorry but "already released on Wii U" doesn't make a game bad or not worth playing.